Seems a lot quieter here these days! Anyone know why? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This board  used to seem a lot more active here, but things have been quiet lately. Just wondering if I  missed anything, or if there is another place people frequent?

#2 of 54 Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 PM

it's TWTM forum, i swear.  i'm not even a classical homeschooler, but so many of the moms there follow many of the same things we use.  i crossed over & find myself there often to read about homeschooling.  this is my favorite forum though. i love MDC & feel most like-minded and connected to the ladies here.  i still frequent other forums here... but i do wish the homeschooling forum was more active. this is my favorite choice for sure.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#3 of 54 Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I've been reading over there more lately too, because it's so active. And I haven't had as much time to post myself, so I've been doing more reading than posting. But there are many times when I end up doubting myself after reading over there. That makes me miss this place even more!

#4 of 54 Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 PM

I am at TWTM a lot.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 54 Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyw View Post

I've been reading over there more lately too, because it's so active. And I haven't had as much time to post myself, so I've been doing more reading than posting. But there are many times when I end up doubting myself after reading over there. That makes me miss this place even more!

yes, i know exactly what you mean.  i have to watch myself, as it's easy to get caught up in the comparison game...plus, i'm a curriculum addict.  seriously, i think the only reason i homeschool is to feed my addiction.  i read about new goodies there and want to research it (which i could get lost for hours reading about curriculum...so weird!), and it's easy to fall into the trap of "the grass is greener"...at least for me it is. gotta watch myself! lol.

#6 of 54 Old 03-03-2011, 05:46 PM

It is March? That is my best guess.

#7 of 54 Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 PM

i know! normally this one is jumping but it's been pretty dead.

Mamas come back!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#8 of 54 Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM

What is the TWTM forum?

Live and love with your whole being.
#9 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 AM

The Well Trained Mind...maybe I`ll check it out, not that I have time to devote tp another message board...

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
#10 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 AM

I noticed a major decrease in responses when the board switched from the old one to this new format.  

swede likes this.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#11 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post

I noticed a major decrease in responses when the board switched from the old one to this new format.  

Yes, I'm still getting used to this format... and my threads seem to get lost.  I don't always see the ones with the most recent activity show up at the top of my subscriptions... so if it's an older thread, I actually need to page through it to look for it...which I'm not likely to do.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#12 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The forum at http://www.secularhomeschool.com/ has been picking up a lot of steam lately as well.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#13 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Dar

I think the change threw a lot of people, plus this is the time of year when most people have figured out what they're doing for the rest of the school year but aren't yet thinking about next year, so it gets slow...

We mods just got the ability to tag posts, so I need to read up on how that will work this weekend, but after that I can start tagging and that might help. Also, I need to figure out this wiki bit... it would be great to have wikis on different homeschooling methods.

onyxravnos likes this.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#14 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 AM

TWTM and Secular Homeschool boards are a lot more active. Also, if you're not an unschooler, it can get really, really old being told over and over and over again that if you would only respect your child and be an unschooler, you wouldn't be having whatever problem it is you're posting about or to have every discussion of curriculum turn into a discussion about how learning requires no curriculum and if you'd just back off, your kids would learn everything they ever needed to know by playing video games and watching docudramas (or whatever else they wanted to do, as long as it wasn't your idea). rolleyes.gif I don't know if that happens around here a lot nowadays, but it used to happen a lot.

Also, it doesn't help that, since the change, the board never remembers me anymore, and I have to log back in again EVERY time. I don't have this problem at any other board and I never had it here until the change, so it can't just be my computer or my settings. I would imagine I'm not the only one having that problem. When a person is a busy home schooler, every second counts. I don't feel like logging in every day. lol

#15 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Things are busier than usual in Unschooling. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#16 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

i know! normally this one is jumping but it's been pretty dead.

Mamas come back!

agreed -- i feel loney -- i am trying not to add an addiction to any other forums :)  I cut myself back here at MDC to here and 3 other areas and dropped a DDC as it is :) but i am loney!!!!!!

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#17 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

TWTM and Secular Homeschool boards are a lot more active. Also, if you're not an unschooler, it can get really, really old being told over and over and over again that if you would only respect your child and be an unschooler, you wouldn't be having whatever problem it is you're posting about or to have every discussion of curriculum turn into a discussion about how learning requires no curriculum and if you'd just back off, your kids would learn everything they ever needed to know by playing video games and watching docudramas (or whatever else they wanted to do, as long as it wasn't your idea). rolleyes.gif I don't know if that happens around here a lot nowadays, but it used to happen a lot.

Also, it doesn't help that, since the change, the board never remembers me anymore, and I have to log back in again EVERY time. I don't have this problem at any other board and I never had it here until the change, so it can't just be my computer or my settings. I would imagine I'm not the only one having that problem. When a person is a busy home schooler, every second counts. I don't feel like logging in every day. lol

I totally agree -- i am not really schooling much yet as mine are so young, but the 'respect you kid / unschool" advice is not so helpful.  LOL

the nev bord set up is so annoying.  i have issues vith the smilie faces and it never remembers me and so on ...

but i am loney -- LOL

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#18 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:

I haven't been here much since the change was made - simply because I'm very visually oriented, and it's neither as visually appealing nor as immediately obvious to see what's new - so I didn't even realize there were less posters.  I'm sure MDC had sound technical reasons for switching over, but it was an unfortunate tradeoff they had to make.

I really, really hate to see the migration to a place where a very different philosophy from the traditional MDC one is predominant. I hope the pendulum swings back.  Lillian

#19 of 54 Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Dar

Just another note - if you're still having issues with the layout or colors or anything new, please post about it in the Q&A forum and let us know. I know we got a flurry of complaints when we first made the switch but we tweaked a few things and the complaints petered out... so we need to know if there are still things we can fix.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#20 of 54 Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 AM

I feel like the homeschooling forum is the only on I follow that's still moving at all since the redesign.  I subscribe to a few different forums here, and this is the only one that keeps popping up.  I do wish there was a way to unsubscribe from the unschooling threads, though.  I keep clicking on them out of boredom, and usually they just upset me.  The redesign just isn't good, unfortunately :(  It's not easy or intuitive to click around.  I keep losing threads, and there's no way to see just threads  that I posted to, which makes it hard to have a conversation.  And you have to already be in a thread to get to new posts, and now you have to click twice to get to new posts, which makes no sense.  I hope MDC didn't pay too much for it.  Maybe they can get some money back by pointing to site traffic, LOL.

For me, it seems like this board has swung very religious.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's what you're into.  But I'm really not.  I feel like there used to be more of a mix, and now I feel like every single question that isn't about unschooling is about fundamentalist Christian curricula.  I guess all my secular homies went over to the secular homeschooling board, which makes sense now.  That board's been up for a while, but nobody ever posted on it.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#21 of 54 Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 AM

It's kind of a vicious circle. Nobody's posting so there's nothing to comment on and I don't know what to post about myself so I don't.

We're just finishing up are planned curriculum (earlier than expected) so I'm in thinking phase for the next round. Plus it's going to be farming/garden season soon so my focus has been more on that.
#22 of 54 Old 03-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post

I feel like the homeschooling forum is the only on I follow that's still moving at all since the redesign.  I subscribe to a few different forums here, and this is the only one that keeps popping up.  I do wish there was a way to unsubscribe from the unschooling threads, though.  I keep clicking on them out of boredom, and usually they just upset me.  The redesign just isn't good, unfortunately :(  It's not easy or intuitive to click around.  I keep losing threads, and there's no way to see just threads  that I posted to, which makes it hard to have a conversation.  And you have to already be in a thread to get to new posts, and now you have to click twice to get to new posts, which makes no sense. .

Can you post and ask about this in Q&A? I just subscribe to individual threads and then browse the forums like before, so for me it's not any different... I actually just realized that you could subscribe to forums as a whole, but if that means you also have to subscribe to the subforum that doesn't seem optimal... but the Huddler folks are really open to working with us, so if you post and ask there maybe something can be done.

#23 of 54 Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 AM

I usually visit WTM boards as well, although I don't post a ton.  I found the new format a pain as well and for about a month it was a huge ordeal to post anything, post constantly messing up etc, which kind of broke me of even trying to post here.

We are in a bit of a groove as well and don't feel the need as much.  Plus, if I am looking for cur. recs WTM has a lot more info, ideas, and perspectives.  I like the view over there as well, I like the mix of relaxing and classical and generally not focused on workbook fund. programs.  I am not interested in strictly unschooling or cur in a box things either one and WTM seems to be in between that. 

While I generally agree w/ Mothering philosophies, no vax, ext. bf'ing, ap'ing, hb's no circ etc I don't feel the need to have cheerleading for my choices so much and as the journey w/ hs'ing is newer I prefer to have cheerleading and comradrie specifc to that. 

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#24 of 54 Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM

The new format is waaaay too annoying to spend time trying to post a lot!

Mama Mko and Greenmama2 like this.
#25 of 54 Old 03-05-2011, 03:22 PM

I miss the old one.

Quote:

PGTlatte likes this.
#26 of 54 Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 PM

I am not a fan of the new format either, especially all the ads. I just dont get to mdc much either way but I do like it. I also have a lot going on in my life outside of homeschooling. As for the some of the snarky unschooling people,  telling someone all of their problems would be solved with unschooling is ridiculous and misleading. If they want to paint a picture perfect world of unschooling that's fine but I refuse to believe it's flawless, perfect, and so are their kids. If I let my kids unschool completely all my kids would do is play the wii and the nintendo DS...sorry but no way that would happen here. It's not for every family or kid. Some kids need the structure and consistancy of a curriculum and schedule at times. So yeah, that's basically all I have to say :-) lol. Nice to see you all!

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#27 of 54 Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Dar

We do try to be open to all forms of homeschooling here, from radical unschooling to school-at-home... most folks seem to fall somewhere in the middle. We do expect everyone to be courteous no matter how she (or he) chooses to educate her children, however. I don't think anyone here honestly believes that all problems are solved through unschooling - I've yet to meet an unschooling family without any problems - but it works well for some people. If anyone feels disrespected by another poster or feels like another poster is being "snarky" towards them, please tell us so that we can deal with it. On the flip side, though, we except people who chose not to unschool to refrain from disrespectful remarks and characterizations about unschoolers.

Thanks!

#28 of 54 Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM

i've always felt the vibe of this board was tolerant and fairly diverse.  even with the eclectic styles and methods, i usually feel like i can find common ground on some level with other posters. i do agree that homeschoolers with younger children can be discouraged from doing too much, but i see that play again and again at all the forums i visit...i certainly don't think it is unique to MDC.  i honestly never think of MDC as overly religious or overly unschooly (aside from the unschooling sub forum that is).  especially the religious part...but i admit i don't visit this particular forum as often as i used too.  the new format does get on my nerves a little bit though, i agree.

#29 of 54 Old 03-06-2011, 05:13 PM

Well I wasn't trying to generalize or to be snarky by my comment so I hope noone took it that way, I'm just being honest. It would be hypocritical because we as a family in my household do some unschooling here and structured learning both.  I was refering to the comments people make to other structured homeschool families that just because they have issues their life would be better if they unschooled. I think thats snarky and misleading. There are ALWAYS issues with children in one way or another thats part of life. With that said my kids have to pick an interest when we do unschooling type of things and video games and tv dont count lol dogs and ponies or learning related type of interaction of their choice sure. My son loves mario bros and would do that all day if I let him and it doesn't teach him anything. however if he wanted to add and subtract his mario playing cards or something that would be cool. I dont want my kids plugged into a video game or tv all day though for entertainment...actual factual learning is ok though. :-)

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#30 of 54 Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM

I don't check in here very much anymore. For me it's not really any one reason. Just busy-ness in other areas of life.

Sometimes I feel like I must ask my questions wrong because I feel they get overlooked a lot. But then that could be my perception and if I went through all the posts maybe I did get answers and don't really remember;).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page