need help finding curiculum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this year was our first year homeschooling. eveything went pretty well with me creating our own curiculum at home, but for first grade i need to find a program that is accredited and counts as my child being in private school.  i'm sort of overwhelmed looking at options on the internet, so i was hoping that some of you knowledgeble persons on here would give me some ideas of programs to look at.  i would really enjoy a progam that offered placement testing as well.  i would prefer a curiculum that wasn't religiously based but i'm not closed off to the idea either so i'm open to those suggestions as well.  i know this is sorta broad but any help or suggestions would be great in narrowing down our search.  thanks.  

#2 of 8 Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 PM

Can you explain why you need it to be accredited?  That may be hard to find for first grade. 

Perhaps www.k12.com - you can access it through virtual schools in many states.  I've heard of Laurel Springs as well.  

#3 of 8 Old 03-05-2011, 06:34 AM

Oak Meadow offers a "Distance Learning", accredited/equivalent-to-private-school option in addition to their independent homeschooling option.  It's pretty expensive, but still a lot less expensive than a brick-and-mortar private school, plus it offers way more flexibility of course...  It's available right from grade K.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#4 of 8 Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM

You might look at Calvert.

http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#5 of 8 Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 PM

Depending on your state, there are charter school options that utilize k12 without a cost to you.

#6 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

sorry it took me so long to come back to this. 

i'm looking for something that is accreditted, but i guess what i should have said was that i'm looking for something that counts as private school.  i'm trying to keep my son in speech therapy through the public school system but he will not be eligible as a "homeschooled student" but he will be if he is considered a "private school student." isn't that rediculous.  cost is an issue i guess for a lot of those private schools that work as umbrella schools.  

i'm looking into calvert and i'll delve into the other suggestions too, but please keep them coming.  

#7 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Definitely look and see if your state offers virtual schools.  In that case your son would be considered a public school student, and the curriculum and such would be free to you in most cases.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 8 Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 AM

We use National Connections Academy because virtual schools aren't available in our state.  They consider themselves a private school but since they are based in another state, my state considers it to be homeschooling.  I wanted to mention that in case you'd find yourself in the same situation. Hopefully not.

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page