Spring/Autumn Pre-Homeschool Chat. :) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Homeschoolers are entitled to getting services through the school distract. This week we will be seeing about adding st services through the school for my ds.

#32 of 51 Old 04-12-2011, 04:46 AM

Well, we have two kids in our home. We are raising painted ladies. I'm hoping to use the butterfly home we have to find monarchs (tons of milkweed grown near us) to raise this summer, but we started with these. The toddler swatted the container this morning, with the caterpillars in their chrysalid. Two are on the ground. I've heard that you can hot glue them back onto some paper and they might survive. Is it looking pretty grim? My four year old is pretty mad.

Let's see. My four year old's reading is really taking off. A friend gave her a game called "What's Gnu?" a few months ago. I originally thought the game was too old for her, but it inspired her with her reading. At this point, she can read very simple sentences like, "The rat sat on the rug." Pretty neat.

Otherwise, looking forward to a summer filled with swimming, biking, and gardening!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#33 of 51 Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trghig View Post

Homeschoolers are entitled to getting services through the school distract. This week we will be seeing about adding st services through the school for my ds.

Isn't that one of those things that depend on the state you are in? I don't think that I can access any services with the school district in Oklahoma.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#34 of 51 Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to skip the whole ESD thing and just drive an hour one way for ST.  His evaluation in next week.  I actually have no clue what the rules are for Oregon. 

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#35 of 51 Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:

yep

BOTH my boys have ST via the school, DS1 is on his 3rd (and we think final) year, DS 2 is on his 2nd.  both have had full assessments and havce IEPsates provide services for

it is true in all states but the rules goverening it are differnt, but legally all states have to provide services.

we also diver 45 minute sone way 2x a week for the boys to go to OT and for DS2 to have private ST -- i so so so wish we did not have to -- it is really really hard to have to do it each and every week -- it is a lot of car time for the boys, it takes 2 days and pretty much ruins them --we all get tired and cranky and nothing else pretty much happnes and gas prices just keep going up.  I wish our school disctict offered enough for them (small district does not have OT at all).

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#36 of 51 Old 04-14-2011, 08:44 PM

All children are entitled under federal law....I believe the law is called IDEA. I know for a fact that oklahoma provides these services because my mil used them for my husband's youngest sister when she was homeschooling.

#37 of 51 Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 AM

DS1 will be getting evaluated next week for a speech delay (which, if he keeps this pace up he wont' qualify...) and a sensory processing disorder. Hopefully it will help our days go better.

Creative Mamas! I've started introducing letters (really low key stuff because he IS only 2) I made up sheets like these https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=17835430&l=c7ffdd9424&id=500910312 (we might be getting a printer soon but until then it's all me lol) I've done some more but I want to do something active too...and I'm at a loss. This week is A, next week is B, and so on...ideas??

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#38 of 51 Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM

AFwife : B bear, boat, bobbin.bozo :)

have you looked at letteroftheweek.com ? it might give you some ideas.

AFWife likes this.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#39 of 51 Old 04-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

AFwife : B bear, boat, bobbin.bozo :)

have you looked at letteroftheweek.com ? it might give you some ideas.

Some of the activities look like something he'll do better with when he's older...

Does anyone have an activity that is active? Like, something that he can learn and move?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#40 of 51 Old 04-19-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

AFWife - Universal Preschool has an active alphabet http://www.universalpreschool.com/how-to/active_alphabet.asp  There also is alphabet yoga and making letter shapes with your body.  I've heard that some paper tape letter shapes on the floor to walk. 

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#41 of 51 Old 04-30-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:

All children are entitled under federal law....I believe the law is called IDEA. I know for a fact that oklahoma provides these services because my mil used them for my husband's youngest sister when she was homeschooling.

Good to know :) I just sorta assumed since the parents are taking the responsiblity to educate, that the Oklahoma Constitution didn't allow that sort of thing. I have a daughter that requires Speech Therapy so, that is GREAT news :D Thanks :)

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#42 of 51 Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM

I stronly support homeschoolers accessing all services at the public schools they can.  we pay taxes too!  and really even dual enrolled like we are, homeschooling saves the district so much money -- it is a nonissues.

my boys both get ST at school, i have a coupld of people that keep offereing classroom, but eveyone knows that our family is staying home.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#43 of 51 Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 PM

Bump! I need ideas for my 2 yr old

#44 of 51 Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 AM

Hey everyone! I haven't been doing much lately with the girls. We are moved back to the states though and Dh has left and won't be back until march. We are getting settled in and figuring out what the girls want to do this year.

For plans I like to do 50/50. 50 percent of the time I do what they want ( usually it's more like 80-90percent actually) and the rest of the time I have a list of things to work with them with. This year my oldest has expressed interest in: learning to read ( again), learning to draw, learning to swim and learning to ride a bike. I'd like to work with her with: training our family dog, a basic chore chart, learning to tie her shoes and manners. My middle wants to learn to swim, bike riding and anything to do with monkeys. I want to work with her with a basic chore chart and self care(dressing, brushing teeth, etc). The baby is just along for the ride. He will probably learn to crawl and walk this year smile.gif.

We are working on a do-able schedule right now. All four of us work best when we are running on a schedule. Otherwise I'm tired all the time, the girls are crabby and missing a nap can make the baby scream for hours. Only problem is getting everything to work out.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#45 of 51 Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 AM

So, my eldest likes having special activities to do with me while her younger sibling sleeps. I dislike the idea of a curriculum. I'm not exactly the kind of person who could work up a schedule that say on this day we're going to do this every day. At the same time, with two kids, I find that without any sort of planning, we just kind of flounder. We miss stuff we want to do. By the time I get things together, my daughter will have moved onto something else. So, this year, my goal is to have a few themes for different parts of the year (tied in with the season) that I can have books and activities on hand for us to do (or not) during the appropriate season. That way, I will generally have something new to bring out during my youngest's nap time. So, I've been planning things: apple picking for late summer (since most of the sweet apples ripen around here in late summer); leaf activities starting a few weeks after the beginning of fall when the leaves normally change; Halloween stuff at the end of October...and then we get to November, and I'm out of ideas. I personally dislike Thanksgiving. I think the mythology behind the Thanksgiving story is racist. We generally finished harvesting the garden in October, so I don't care much for it as a harvest celebration, either. While we sometimes get snow in late November, generally little if any. Any good ideas for seasonal activities to do for November that are not about Thanksgiving or harvesting? I'd really like to have our plans for our "homeschool" up until the new year. Also, any good ideas for autumn chapter books appropriate for a 4.5yo or any autumn themed beginning reader (the first few levels of the beginning readers) you'd recommend? I have plenty of picture books, but no ideas for chapter books, and I'd be picking beginning reader books pretty blindly. (She has finished the BOB books, but she's not a fluent reader yet; she enjoys books she can read all by herself.)

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#46 of 51 Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

Any good ideas for seasonal activities to do for November that are not about Thanksgiving or harvesting? I'd really like to have our plans for our "homeschool" up until the new year. Also, any good ideas for autumn chapter books appropriate for a 4.5yo or any autumn themed beginning reader (the first few levels of the beginning readers) you'd recommend? I have plenty of picture books, but no ideas for chapter books, and I'd be picking beginning reader books pretty blindly. (She has finished the BOB books, but she's not a fluent reader yet; she enjoys books she can read all by herself.)

We love the "Henry and Mudge" series by Cynthia Rylant.  Mudge, the drooly Mastiff, is hilarious and the stories are funny and sweet.

I'm having a hard time thinking of other books that are for beginning readers, but here are other ideas for family reading:

Mid-fall usually brings out the stargazers in us, anything about the night sky, even though November is the worst month in the Pacific Northwest for seeing anything but clouds!  "Zoo in the Sky" is a fun book, story oriented.  I like stories about hibernation, like "Mousekin's Golden House" (out of print?), an adorable story of a mouse and a pumpkin, (other stories by the author are equally wonderful).  "Sometimes Moon" is a sweet explanation of the moon phases, my favorite for that subject. I also like to begin stories about the winter solstice.  "Raven Steals the Light" is my favorite story to read for that time, though it's not a solstice story per se.  "The Story of the Milky Way" (did I remember that title correctly?) is a First Nations story about a dog stealing cornmeal and disappearing into the night sky.  And our girls love all the antics of the Trickster Coyote, and many of his stories involve his atrocious howling at the moon.  There any renditions of Bear hiding the sun.

We usually have about 100 books checked out from the library at any one time, so I'll pay attention to books that fit your description.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#47 of 51 Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 AM

Hi ladies, 

I haven't been doing anything. I've been in a bit of a funk..... I hope posting here will give me some motivation. We do read and play outside, but I'm really not on top of my game. I feel like I'm not spending enough time with her, even if it's just chatting. :(. I'm feeling some  major SAHM burnout I think...... I'm trying to come up with a better daily routine right now. One let allows for chores, play time, mommy time, and all the other stuff I'm forgetting. I thinking a better routine may be just what I need right now.... Feel free to send my fun messy summer ideas to do outside. :) 

AFwife: 

My baby is 2 too. I think it's a lot about the materials you have at this age. Go scrounge garage sales for tons of different toys.I keep a few shelves in my basement with the toys we can rotate through. I pull out 1-3 boxes at a time and it keeps the kids much busier than leaving things out all the time. It also helps to give her choices yet I still feel I'm providing educational experiences. I have everything from flannel board cut outs, to math manipulatives, puzzles, train sets......It's a big shelf pretty packed. LOL.  I have found wooden puzzles, blocks, peg boards, gears, train sets, etc, etc, etc. from yard sales. Look for things he can be creative with, things he can figure out, things he can take apart, things that work small motor skills. I'm not sure what kind of area you live in but try to get out of the house every day for a small outing. It widens his world and vocabulary. Do a lot outdoor play, if you hit a local park at the same time everyday maybe he can make some little friends. Story time at the library can be fun...... This summer I'm hoping to set up one activity a day for my littlest.  I think we will do a lot of discovery oriented things. I would like to get into more discussions with her. We also will be spending a lot of time at the parks, pool, playing with siblings etc.  Come fall I hope to get back into setting up three activities a day for her to choose from. I think I might also do some FIAR style book themes too. I tried last year and she wasn't into it but this year I think she might enjoy it. 

Some of the things I hope to get to this summer is: 

-Goop in our sand table (corn starch and water)

-flour in the sand table (flour is sooooooo messy! I might do something else instead.

-I thought about doing beans in the sand table then adding some water and letting them sprout in there too. I might get to that. 

-home made magic bubbles with home made/found bubble wands

-bubble painting

-Let her "paint" the house / side walk with water or maybe even colored a bit with chalk)

-Finger painting

-fly swatter painting

-I really want to try to build  a larger sand box in the yard....Not sure if I will get to that. 

-Garden with her (we already started this one) 

-read, read, read

-rock art This is two parts because one day we will go to the river to collect them the next day decorate them. I saw a neat thing on a blog to heat the stones up then draw on them with crayons. I think we will give it a shot. I have two older ones though. If it was just the baby I think I would stick with paint. 

-catch lots of bugs

-use glitter  I do not allow glitter in my house lol. 

-make sun tea

-catch lots of bugs

not sure what else. I think I would like to set up some "extra" out in the yard every day.........or every other day...or once a week lol I mentioned I'm not really on my game right? LOL

#48 of 51 Old 06-25-2011, 08:12 AM

We're still here, I guess. Haha.

We haven't been doing much of anything because I've been having some health issues. I am a little concerned about how homeschooling is going to work with chronic health issues. I've always said we're going to take it year by year so that's what we'll do. Still a little upsetting to think about.
I've been looking at (Before) Five in a Row to possibly start using soon. Our library has it but of course it is always checked out during the "school year." It seems gentle and easy to use. I tried to find the books used/cheap on Amazon but people are selling them for $80+! We still love science experiments so we'll probably be doing a lot of those too. I've been looking at purchasing the book Science is Simple. Another book our library has, but I would rather own it (because I'll probably end up destroying it!). My oldest (4) loooves Starfall. We bought the subscription to "More Starfall" and it has been well worth it. He was very reluctant to do anything with numbers until checking them out on his own terms on that site.
We're also looking at signing up for a music class in the winter, maybe. It's one my kids could do together which I love. But so much money!
We're heading to the beach next week, so I guess I could have some fun beach-related things for us to do/read but I don't. Haha. I don't really care either. Vacation!!
Hope everyone is enjoying life!

oh noo
#49 of 51 Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 PM

DS is all about writing, drawing, and reading at the moment, so I suspect we'll be writing a lot of stories this summer. My hope is to get out of the house every day and get some pool time as well, as he has started some swim lessons and is in LOVE with the water (funny, since he was petrified of it unless I was clutching him close, last year!). 

I'm also in the process of planning for fall with our co-op, which is planning on adding a second day for science and math. Can't wait to find some fun and easy science experiments to do with them!

Still continuing my online Montessori training, but I feel like a boob for not having stuff organized enough to start a formal program (curriculum, if you want to call it that) at home. I'd say I'd like to start it in the fall, but I thought I was going to start in the spring and didn't, so I'll try not to jinx it! LOL

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#50 of 51 Old 06-26-2011, 05:52 AM

There is a lot of travel for us this summer. We've started rock climbing with DS recently and he loves it (he tried to sleep in his harness). He and I are off for the East Coast (New York and New England) for three weeks in a couple of days. I am continuing to see him learning more and more every day and as we get closer to 5 I am more committed to Unschooling, it seems in our family every time I try teaching it only serves to hurt our relationship, but when I follow his lead and help with what ds is interested in we go so far. So for now we're focusing on outdoor skills.

Do we want to start a summer thread?

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#51 of 51 Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM

I found this link for a homemade calendar that I'm think of adapting for us.  I think we'll just use thick cardstock and not do the foam, and instead of a painting or drawing we may collect things on our nature walks to glue onto the page for each month.  We may actually do a painting and then glue the nature bits on top of it.  I'm still thinking it through, but thought I'd post this in case anyone else wanted to do something like this:

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/family-calendar-668132/ 

For our summer, we are basically gardening, riding bikes, swimming, vacationing, and camping.   A friend of mine gave me a recipe for sand dough the other day that I want to try out soon but we keep running out of time.  I'm trying not to feel guilty that we aren't crafting and such but that is so hard for us to do in the summer when we stay so busy.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page