Spring/Autumn Pre-Homeschool Chat. :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2011, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's that time of year again.  This thread has been quiet so I thought starting a new one might spur more people.  What has everyone been up to in the quietness?  Kindy plans?

I've taken a little break from hsing and can't even think of kindy now.  I'm having some minor (read huge) problems with DD.  Ugh.  She is very free-willed, spirited, and super-choleric  Which is great.  I embrace who she is but when it comes down to it for the past weeks...Ugh.  Tiny bits of gluten and dairy have snuck in from random sources which plays into it as well.  I have the hardest time getting her back to her sweet self after that.  It's not a time to hs.  It's a time to heal and stay sane. 

For example - (and a look into our non-academic homeschool life):  She really wants to make the stuffed guinea pig from this book http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-School-Projects-Kids-Will/dp/1603425780  I told her the first step is to draw our guinea pigs.  She draws a tree.  I draw a guinea pig to help show her.  She draws upside down people.  I give up. 
She knows the running stitch but needs to know the blanket stitch for the project.  I show her.  She does one beautiful blanket stitch and then does a new stitch she calls "The (insert her name)."  Balancing creativity with doing a job.  I know thinking outside the box is super great but.......it doesn't get the project done. 

I'm having a hard time extracting meaningful work from her which she craves (choleric) and dealing with behavior.  She was carding wool for me today and decided to do it her way which ended up with my carder being thrown across the room which is part of her way

And as for my son who is the true preschooler:  he's really into digging for Earthworms.  He's creating a new earthworm family to replace the slug family that mama made him throw out.  I've learned my lessons this time:  earthworm family isn't allowed inside like slug family was.  Mud puddle stomping is high on his list too.  We are keeping a weather chart and I think March so far has 2 suns on it so there is plenty of puddles. 

This week is "Whale Watching Week" so we might head on out for puddle stomping and whale watching on the coast.  It will make me feel better about not doing a single gosh darn educational thing at home with them right now. 

They've also been playing with their anger and each of them built their anger using recycled materials.  This was a great project because they came up with it themselves and did it themselves.  All they needed was the box of recycled craft materials and lots and lots and lots of tape.  DD wanted to use the whole roll of tape on her anger but was unable to.  Good effort though.  http://www.amazon.com/Anhs-Anger-Gail-Silver/dp/1888375949

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Ah Spring.

One one hand i seem to have a better hand on some of the SN issues, on the other they seems more pent up and wild.  LOL

I am working on kidy for Ds1, but DS2 is 23 months behind him, so I am not going any place soon!

staying and sane and accompliushing somethign -- LOL -- i stuggle with that so much.  I know DS1 is capable of certain things, but he gets sooooooooooooo silly and "creative" (uh silly / stupid) it makes me fustrated.

I am all for open creative play and he has TONS of it, more actually since i have about stopped trying ANYTHING with him -- but come on he is 4 months past 5 and ve ought to be able to do something -- ie ve paint and he won't paint a frigging picture -- yu know a house, a tree, a person, a sun -- anything -- it is all a smudge and smear and "look i mixed the colors" aighhhhhhhhhhhh

i need to stop planning and start DOING

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

i need to stop planning and start DOING

I can not tell you how much that statement applies to me as well.  That is my #1 defacto problem with everything from housecleaning to homeschooling to......everything.  Sigh.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Looking forward to planning for our spring garden! If I can only figure out which veggies are impervious to city alley rats irked.gif

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM

I posted this on a different thread, but it looks like this thread was pretty active before and was interested in getting more feedback...

Anyone have tips for addressing starting homeschooling with a preschool aged child? Obviously, preK & Kg homeschool can be just like play to them, but for those of you that have set aside time in your day for "homeschool", I'm curious to know how you transitioned / introduced your child to the routine.

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post

I posted this on a different thread, but it looks like this thread was pretty active before and was interested in getting more feedback...

Anyone have tips for addressing starting homeschooling with a preschool aged child? Obviously, preK & Kg homeschool can be just like play to them, but for those of you that have set aside time in your day for "homeschool", I'm curious to know how you transitioned / introduced your child to the routine.

I don't have much advice for you but wanted to respond.  For me I plan the routine and implement it.  I might explain briefly why I'm implementing it but don't really go into it.  Just suddenly I had craft time every morning and we did the color of the day.    This worked for a while but isn't working anymore.  You can see from above that we aren't really doing anything right now.  Now I fit what we do when we do it and I'm not stressing anything anymore.  I think the children liked having a time everyday for crafts but didn't really like me planning the crafts or being pulled away from doing anything they may have been doing at the time.  I took it away and no one missed it so......we aren't really doing it.  I'll try again later.   

You might try coming up with a homeschool song to sing before you do "homeschool" if that is the route you take.  I wouldn't explain much - just do it and have fun.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM

ITA

I decied and I just do -- one day I announced "Bible Time" and one day i said "come see this ....you get to choose an activity"

i find it is 97% ME and not so much them

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 PM

I was like you and wanted to schedule in dd's preschool time during the day so we could have some routine, then I realized I really just needed to make a schedule for me, not her.  So, for us that means we get up, get dressed, potty, and have some breakfast.  

After that we do our chores.  I made a job list, with jobs for both of us, and we check them off as we get them done.  I don't worry if she doesn't finish or anything, it is really just for fun for her anyway.  

Then we get to read books when we are done with our chores.  She brings me a big pile and we start reading.  I go to the library every few weeks by myself and check out a bunch of books with a related theme.  This month we are reading about Spring and gardens.

She may have a small snack now.

After reading we head outside to play for an hour or so.  I will often listen to podcasts, sketch, or read a book while she is playing with shovels etc. in the dirt.  Sometimes I will play with her, and sometimes I use that time to do a mini workout (push ups, squats, sprints, lunges).  

When we get back inside I set aside a half hour of time to do something fun with her.  I just suggest an activity, such as painting, a fun craft, waterplay at the sink, playing pretend with her toys, or doing a puzzle, or a game like Memory or Candyland.  

Then we go make lunch and eat.  She usually plays by herself for a bit after lunch and I spend some time on the computer.

The afternoons are our time for running errands, going to the park or playground, free play, or if I think she will need a nap we'll go for a run in the jogger or a bike ride and she'll fall asleep in the trailer.  

It really helps me to have a schedule for myself to make sure I get time to myself, spend some time doing constructive things with her, and so we both get outside.  I don't think she needs a formal learning time during the day, but I think it helps if I have times in my mind set aside for constructive play, stories, outside play, and free play.  

I hope this helps, I know that wasn't your exact question, but it is what has worked for us better then doing a set homeschool time.  

Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 AM

Hello everyone! this years HS has been going really well .. we have a nice (almost done) main lesson book for the year and I'm really pleased with what we've gotten done... it helps so much to be able to look at his main lesson book when i feel like we haven't gotten anything accomplished. 

AND I'm so thrilled i found the one and only AK state HS program that takes preschoolers without an older enrolling sibling which means a free 200 bucks to buy materials! Now i just need to use that money wisely so i can try to fit in everything i want!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Well, my son is only 3 yo, but somewhat advanced, adn I have the 1 yo. (The 6 yo lives with his dad and goes to public school). So, our plan for Spring/Summer is to use Peak with Books, Math Start, and MAYBE  Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 1. I haven't found any of the science books, and I really want to stay within a theme for the month. So, I am trying to plan it out and get the books as we go, but that may be hard and I need to be flexible. I am looking for a list (just a pdf type list) of the Let's Read books so that I can just look and see what I can choose from and grab and go so to speak.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmomma View Post

I was like you and wanted to schedule in dd's preschool time during the day so we could have some routine, then I realized I really just needed to make a schedule for me, not her.  So, for us that means we get up, get dressed, potty, and have some breakfast.  

After that we do our chores.  I made a job list, with jobs for both of us, and we check them off as we get them done.  I don't worry if she doesn't finish or anything, it is really just for fun for her anyway.  

Then we get to read books when we are done with our chores.  She brings me a big pile and we start reading.  I go to the library every few weeks by myself and check out a bunch of books with a related theme.  This month we are reading about Spring and gardens.

She may have a small snack now.

After reading we head outside to play for an hour or so.  I will often listen to podcasts, sketch, or read a book while she is playing with shovels etc. in the dirt.  Sometimes I will play with her, and sometimes I use that time to do a mini workout (push ups, squats, sprints, lunges).  

When we get back inside I set aside a half hour of time to do something fun with her.  I just suggest an activity, such as painting, a fun craft, waterplay at the sink, playing pretend with her toys, or doing a puzzle, or a game like Memory or Candyland.  

Then we go make lunch and eat.  She usually plays by herself for a bit after lunch and I spend some time on the computer.

The afternoons are our time for running errands, going to the park or playground, free play, or if I think she will need a nap we'll go for a run in the jogger or a bike ride and she'll fall asleep in the trailer.  

It really helps me to have a schedule for myself to make sure I get time to myself, spend some time doing constructive things with her, and so we both get outside.  I don't think she needs a formal learning time during the day, but I think it helps if I have times in my mind set aside for constructive play, stories, outside play, and free play.  

I hope this helps, I know that wasn't your exact question, but it is what has worked for us better then doing a set homeschool time.  

Maybe I didn't express myself well enough, but that's EXACTLY what I was looking for! LOL I guess when people see "homeschool" they have a more formal idea in their minds, but for us, it really is much like what you've described. My plan is to do more "schooly" type of activities in a really relaxed manner while eating at the table since he'll stay at the table for extended periods of time as long as he's entertained (plus it helps to get him to finish his meal!). Other than that, I need to organize my own brain to get basic tasks done (like you mentioned). Reading your response made me think about maybe creating a picture chart for chores - not only will it make it clear in my mind what needs to be done on a daily basis, but it will hopefully motivate, guide & clarify to DS what our day will bring. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 PM

Hello! We've got lots of plans this spring. I set up the art easel DD got for Christmas and she's been keeping some paint and crayons out on that coming and going and using it many times a day. She usually paints every day so she's loving this. We are going to be raising some chicks this month and I plan to make a terrarium and planting a garden. Finger knitting is also on the schedule. The kids are getting art supplies for Easter. They love to transform things from the recycling bin or doing art projects. DD is getting a piggy bank for her birthday so we'll have a chance to talk about money more this year. Then we're off for a couple months of traveling (MO, MT and CO).

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 03-23-2011, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Zebaby - there is a book called Steady Days which is a great read in helping you organize your brain.  The book itself  is written by a CM method (I think) homeschooler of young children and so it is perfect for what many of us are experiencing. 

As I type this her website is down.  Otherwise it is  http://www.steadydays.com  but here is the amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Steady-Days-Intentional-Professional-Motherhood/dp/0984124608

We had our super fun whale watching adventure today and saw no whales.  We drove to a new location and true to name it started downpouring as we came to Cape Foulweather so whale watching came to an end.  I forgot to mention but we are unschooling right now and it's working great. I'm getting a hang of this whole unschooling thing and am really enjoying it.  My new challenge is unschooling with a rhythm.  Oxymoron which I'm going to make work for us. 

Old 03-24-2011, 06:42 AM

I haven't been on this thread lately, because I've been feeling a bit of a fraud. We've been considering doing pre-K next year. My daughter will really want to go. And then she won't. And then she will. And then she won't. The whole thing drives me batty. I want her home. I've tried fishing out a clear reason as to why she wants to go to school, but she's four. "I think it would be fun," is the best reason I got. If I ask why she thinks it would be fun, she says she doesn't know. I suspect it has a lot to do with cultural pressure (most media for this age idealizes school) and the influence of my mother. At the same time, though, I've encouraged her to stay home. She probably feels pressure both ways. Even though I rather her be at home, if she really rather be in school I would send her to school. At this point, though, I can't figure out what she really wants. I've resolved to wait until we move this summer, and then see if she still says she wants go. But yeah, I'm still reading, but mostly lurking until we have more clarity about educational decisions.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Revolting - She's 4.  She doesn't know what school is and she can't really know what she wants because she doesn't really understand the options.  You should really do what you want and help her to enjoy that choice.  Now if she is scared to go and you don't have to, that's another thing, IMO.  But if it's just about it'd be fun or not, well sure it probably would be fun and if you want her to do it then do it, but if not, don't.  FWIW I DO have my DD in a one morning a week program and we are homeschooling in the fall for K and I don't feel like a fraud on here. ;) Maybe I should?  It's fun for kids to be with other kids and make friends with other adults and one day a week has been a good amount for us.  I don't feel it negates our homelearning plans or current lifestyle.

For K in the fall we are joining a homeschooling group that meets once a week - I'm excited about that as well.  So is DD.  I talk about the different kinds of school and I have asked my DD questions about what she wants, but I also know that ultimately it is my decision and it will all be just fine either way!

Beezer - If I tried to get my DD to do something the "right" way in this life season, we'd have conflict too.  Well, when I do, we get conflict.  DD is all about her own reality and doing things in a different way.  I don't actually mind it, but I get the frustration you're having.  It's hard when you know they CAN do something well and they choose not to or to be silly.

Tjej

Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank Tjej, it's good to know I'm not alone.  She actually is the reason I'm trying to embrace unschooling.  I know I won't be able to "teach" her a single gosh darn thing without conflict but I think she will thrive in unschooling.  I'm very schooled myself and right now I'm mainly de-schooling myself.  My new mantra is "be more like DH" who is the ultimate unschooling parent. 

Revolting, it's been my experience that children in the 4-5 range want to go to school.  Maybe it's the fun school bus or media or everyone asking them if they are in school yet.  I don't know why but as pp said, she is too young to make the choice or know what school is.  When my DD started wanting school I knew it was time to get her involved in some activities where she will make friends.  I just joined a great homeschool group to hype her on "homeschool" versus "school."  I emphasis that some children go to school and some people school at home and that every family is different.  I usually then talk more about other ways families are different to give another example.  Follow your heart right now.  And even if you do a pK program there is many a homeschooler who has done pK and homeschooled after that.  It's not unheard of.  I think often it's done for socialization and not academics. You aren't a fraud.  :)  We welcome you here. 

Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 PM

my oldest (kindy in the fall) goes to preschool once a week (as done DS2) for speech services and so on -- i view it as a 3 hours play date once a veek i do not go to -- they do art, they snack and he goes to ST 2x.  It is a play activity for him, there is no school in it. 

he has asked about why he doesn't go each day liek the rest of the class; I tell him parents make the school choices and Daddy and i feel you are best at home, there are a number of reasons (I some times list a couple, or not , they are really beyond him at this point -- he is thinking of the snacks and the gym time, not test scores and faith conflicts).  Go one to tell him, differnt kids eat differntly, differnt parents choose to have their kids sleep in differnnt places and differnt parents choose differnt school choices.

we've talked about in the fall he will no longer go to the school once a veek for ST.  Little Brother will but he (ds1) will be in kindy and his school will be all at home.  As far as he is concerned he is looseing a play date.  and really that is what it is.

I do not have any conflict with him going one day a week but us being a homeschool family -- it is not his education, it is his ST and some play time. 

we do not give him any 'feeling' that he gets to make that choice -- we are happy to listen to him, and answer his questions -- just like talking about taking medication or going to medical appt -- but in the end -- he is 5, he can choose his shirt or maybe his snack; but we tell him that "god made mommas and daddies to take care of you, some day you'll be a daddy and have to make these choices"  I personally -- just me -- feel that giving a child too much of a voice in importnat life choices puts too much pressure on them; they are kids, yk?  and i persoanlly feel that feel safer and more secure and can better be about the work of childhood if they are sure they don't have to be the adult or think abodu the bigger issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

I haven't been on this thread lately, because I've been feeling a bit of a fraud. We've been considering doing pre-K next year. My daughter will really want to go. And then she won't. And then she will. And then she won't. The whole thing drives me batty. I want her home. I've tried fishing out a clear reason as to why she wants to go to school, but she's four. "I think it would be fun," is the best reason I got. If I ask why she thinks it would be fun, she says she doesn't know. I suspect it has a lot to do with cultural pressure (most media for this age idealizes school) and the influence of my mother. At the same time, though, I've encouraged her to stay home. She probably feels pressure both ways. Even though I rather her be at home, if she really rather be in school I would send her to school. At this point, though, I can't figure out what she really wants. I've resolved to wait until we move this summer, and then see if she still says she wants go. But yeah, I'm still reading, but mostly lurking until we have more clarity about educational decisions.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 AM

Which program?  A friend of mine told me the program she's using is going to start providing an allotment next year too.  I'm waiting to hear back from her.   I'm worried we're going to run into "missing the cut-off" w/ my dd.  She's a Sept. 15th bday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

AND I'm so thrilled i found the one and only AK state HS program that takes preschoolers without an older enrolling sibling which means a free 200 bucks to buy materials! Now i just need to use that money wisely so i can try to fit in everything i want!

Becky
Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 AM

Chugach . Based out of anchorage. Chugach + homeschool will probably pull it up on google if not let me know and I'll send you a link. Not sure what the cut off date is as Lichs bday is feb so I know he's in the time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmommyak View Post

Which program?  A friend of mine told me the program she's using is going to start providing an allotment next year too.  I'm waiting to hear back from her.   I'm worried we're going to run into "missing the cut-off" w/ my dd.  She's a Sept. 15th bday.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 PM

I found the website.  Thanks.  I guess my next step is figuring out about the cut-off.  I know it's two weeks before dd's birthday, but not sure if they make exceptions or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

Chugach . Based out of anchorage. Chugach + homeschool will probably pull it up on google if not let me know and I'll send you a link. Not sure what the cut off date is as Lichs bday is feb so I know he's in the time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmommyak View Post

Becky
Old 03-27-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

we do not give him any 'feeling' that he gets to make that choice -- we are happy to listen to him, and answer his questions -- just like talking about taking medication or going to medical appt -- but in the end -- he is 5, he can choose his shirt or maybe his snack; but we tell him that "god made mommas and daddies to take care of you, some day you'll be a daddy and have to make these choices"  I personally -- just me -- feel that giving a child too much of a voice in importnat life choices puts too much pressure on them; they are kids, yk?  and i persoanlly feel that feel safer and more secure and can better be about the work of childhood if they are sure they don't have to be the adult or think abodu the bigger issues. 

I agree. Truly. Let kids be kids, it's our job to make the big decision for them. My children have choices but they are very simple: which shirt of these 2, which book, etc. but no major life decison. A young child cannot grasp the pros/cons of the big decisions. That's why they have parents. My job is to let him make AGE appropriate decisions. He has no say in where he schools.... at this point.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Our plans for next year:

We signed up for an Open House for the local Options program for next year. It's a one day a week school for homeschool kids. At least for next school year we're going to do that.

I'm not really sure where all our time goes, but I think that we're going to keep on going with the unschooling vein. The main difference is that I am going to start focusing more on ds with his interests. I've noticed in the last three months he's really gotten interested in many things that he wants to know more about.

Since we're doing Options I don't think we'll be doing any other classes, one day of school and a hs co-op seems like enough for a week with a 5 year old.

Of course all the conversations about curriculum sounds so exciting to me but I know what really does work best for our family is much more free flowing and organically built. Still we end up at Bookies, every month or so for something.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We start kindy in the fall, and I'm still trying to work out how I think our daily rhythm should go.  I think the reality is that I'm going to have to do a lot of cooking in advance so we can just reheat things like eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, or easy things for lunch.  I already make a large casserole for dinners on Monday that we reheat for 2 more dinners, so that saves time.  To be honest, I just don't know when I'm going to be able to squeeze in an extra hour for kindy.  I'm thinking of keeping it to just 1 hour--30 minutes circle, and a 30 minute craft but to be honest are crafts NEVER take 30 minutes.  Dd has a way of taking 2 hours somehow.  At least she thoroughly enjoys them.  I'm getting VERY limited personal time these days and almost no computer time.  I'm glad I have kindy laid out because with no computer time it's hard to research.

As for worries, I'm worried about how we're going to find time to "do" something for kindy.  As Waldorf-inspired as we are, dd does not play like other Waldorf kids.  I try.  I do.  But I cannot play with her all day, and even when I can, she would rather draw pictures, make books, and record her own songs on cassette tapes than have a tea party with dolls or make up magical worlds at this point, and I'm just so exhausted from trying to encourage this kind of play.  Crafts she excels at, but things like block play? castle play? dollhouse play?  No go.  I can never figure out if I should worry about this or what I can do to encourage it.  I have tried every Waldorf trick in the book and end up burning out, and the reality is that I have to do laundry, clean, and cook.  We go outside for 2-3 hours every afternoon, and I can't send her out alone because we live in an apartment complex so it's not like I can postpone my work until then or anything.  Ideas?  Empathy?

A friend of ours gave us a kids' science kitchen science project book and dh (who is a polymer chemist and engineer) has been doing a lot of these with her.  I have discovered that I'm not big into science no matter how interesting the project is.  I just don't really like them and I don't care how they work.  I guess that's why I'm a medievalist.  Dd, though, is an engineer like hubby so I'm going to have to overcome this or push more of it on to dh and schedule our lives accordingly.

On the bright side, dd seems to excel at unschooling, so I figure if I truly mess things up, hopefully she'll still learn what she needs to via this method so long as I foster a creative environment.  Right now, she has been working a lot on correcting her handwriting and is progressing in teaching herself to read.  Her logic abilities are phenomenal, but she is an engineer.  She just is.  It seems like imagination is where we struggle.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I tried to edit above but it wouldn't let me.  Weird.

We're doing mostly Little Acorn Learning for kindy with lots of read-alouds, logic puzzles, and songs/poetry/fingerplays.  What are everyone else's plans for kindy?  Academically she's already at a first grade level as far as I can tell but I do want to see if we can foster her imagination more and unschooling academics is really working well for us right now.  We'll see.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 AM

hi ladies, :)

I'm a big ol fraud and it's ok. :) My big kids are both in PS this year and I have found, at least for now, it really is the best place for them. I'm to neurotic to HS. I end up way to stressed that I'm ruining my kids for life and up driving myself insane in the process. Sheepish.gif Anyway, I love preschoolers! And preschool I can handle. So far this week we have read lots of books, she is really into her play kitchen, we built huge duplo towers, played outside (still cold here :(). One her shelf I have put, beads, yellow collage, baking soda and vinegar to mix, counting bear sorting/matching activity, and a lions mask craft. I'm sooooo ready for nice weather so we can be outside more!!! 

re lux: Love the DD you have. :)  I do not mean that snottily, I've seen you post a bunch and you seem like an awesome mom. :)  But really relax, she's fine. (see easy for me to tell you that , but see above when it comes to my own kids lol). Some kids just don't play pretend. Pretend games are also more fun with other kids. Don't try to fit her in a mold she doesn't want. If she is studious go buy the curriculum and don't think twice about it. There is no educational philosophy that is a good fit for every child. :)

Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM

We're very laid back. I don't have a set schedule or routine.  We play. We count things. We sort things. We talk about things. We read. We play some more. We read some more.  We sing songs.  Sometimes, ds plays, bothers his little sister, and then they both have to come into the kitchen and see what I'm doing.  Sometimes, while they are involved w/ something, I try to sneak in some computer time. And sometimes, on days when I haven't spoken to another adult all day, and the kids are bickering all day long, I really think a boarding pre-school sounds like a good idea.  But mostly, we just go w/ the day.  I figure that someday I'll probably have to get a little more structured, but then again, maybe I'm just an unschooler at heart.

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM

[quote below I can't seem to get it on top]

We were there a few years ago, we were even part of a Kindercircle that DS finally refused to go to, he is a child born so present in this world that he just never fit the stages in Waldorf, and when we tried to keep to them he railed against the pace and subject matter of it (sad since I really liked a lot of Waldorf). I'd say follow her lead, there's no point in fighting her all the way for an educational philosophy. For us the shift has meant that we still keep a lot of the simplicity and focus on the natural world, but Kings and Dragons just don't fit with DS's personality. In my opinion encouraging specific sorts of play just because they are the common ones for Waldorf, pushing any young child too hard to "fit" can't be good. I think you should just find a balance that works well for you and her. After all this is a long term adventure you two are heading out on and it should be a pleasurable one. What you might want to do is sit don and figure out what parts of Waldorf education are important for you and figure out how to incorporate them into what fits well for DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

As for worries, I'm worried about how we're going to find time to "do" something for kindy.  As Waldorf-inspired as we are, dd does not play like other Waldorf kids.  I try.  I do.  But I cannot play with her all day, and even when I can, she would rather draw pictures, make books, and record her own songs on cassette tapes than have a tea party with dolls or make up magical worlds at this point, and I'm just so exhausted from trying to encourage this kind of play.  Crafts she excels at, but things like block play? castle play? dollhouse play?  No go.  I can never figure out if I should worry about this or what I can do to encourage it.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
Old 04-10-2011, 09:55 PM

Hi Ladies :)

We'll be doing preschool with our 3yr this summer. It's much earlier then I thought we'd start using actually curriculum but its what he needs. He thrives on schedule and routine due to his sensory issues. So, we decide it was best to start him with preschool stuff at home. We're starting in July so that way when daddy leaves on a tdy for a few months in August hopefully the change won't be so hard on ds1. Most of what we will be doing is stuff we already do I am just doing more planning and structure. We'll be covering reading, science/math, arts/music and religion. He does speech and OT several times a week as well.

I am currently working on putting our curriculum together. We'll be doing ABC for the first half of the year- a differet letter each week. The second half of the year will be unit studies and review of the letters. I am thinking of using the mathstart level 1 books by murphy staurt for our math.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

We are just trucking right along.  After a period of doing nothing we are now using LAL April Enrichment Guide this month.  I really like what she did and the changes she made to LAL with the enrichment guides. 

I am in the process of getting DS evaluated for ST.  I know he needs it if only for his frustration level.  The poor boy has a Gene Simmons tongue and I think he has a hard time working with it.  I'm currently debating ESD or private speech therapy but for private I have to drive over an hour to Portland.  I really don't want to go the ESD route as a homeschooler and don't even know if I can.  It's all very confusing. 

Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 AM

So tomorrow is the Options Open House, an once a week enrichment program for Homeschool students. We're planning on doing it next Fall, I'm a little afraid that after going to the open house we won't like. So for today we're playground bound and there's a request for corn porridge.

User Tag List