Fun ways to teach solar system to 8 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, I have not posted on her forever. It looks alot slower on here than when I posted. Hopefully it is still a pretty active board.smile.gif

We are starting to talk about the solar system. He knows some about the solar system, but not much. We just started doing more in-depth information this week. I started with the sun and we have talked 2 days about it and then we will move on to planets closest to the sun and work to the last. I printed off some great worksheets from education.com and got a solar system kit to do with him. I am just wondering what other ideas you all have for some fun ways for him to learn the solar system and great things about it. 

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
My 8yo recently went through a solar system phase. I wrote in the first two posts here about some of the ideas and resources we used. The solar system walk is still one of my favorite homeschooling activities ever.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 PM

One thing I did for my son's Cub Scout den (6-7 year olds) was make a edible solar system. I purchase all sorts of round candy objects in various sizes. I used lemonade that was in a yellow can as the sun. The kids put all the plants in order starting closest to the sun. This helps them see the different sizes of plants and the order. I also found rock candy that I used as the asteroid belt. You can use cookies too for the plants. oh yeah I used pull apart twizzlers as the rings around saturn and neptune. The kids loved it! 

teach them My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizza to remember the order of the plants.

#4 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants has a great solar system song.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#5 of 5 Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Have you looked at http://www.schoolexpress.com? They have lots of fun lesson workbooks and worksheets that you can print. I know my kinder/1st grader and preschool really enjoy then when I print them out. They also have an email program and each week they email a free workbook and next week is on the Sun.

We also like the Read and Learn Science books.

Mom of 2 ** Wife ** Business Owner

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page