American School of Correspondence - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone here familiar with this....I am thinking of maybe using this for 11th and 12th grade for my daughter.

Mom of 6 and a new grandma.  Mom to a sweet boy with autism. Jesus is the love and the light of my lifestillheart.gif
homeschool.gif ribbonjigsaw.gifgrouphug.gifreading.gifwhale.giftea6.gif

#2 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 PM

I used AS for my senior year of HS.  Honestly, as a parent I would not consider it academically challenging enough.  The curriculum is not engaging or terribly interactive.  It got the job done (meaning I graduated without being a public school which I hated) but I don't feel it furthered my education.  I'd choose something else if you can or supplement heavily.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#3 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 PM

My 14 yo is doing freshman year with this right now, and he likes it. This is his first experience with structured education. He's liked it, but finds it very easy! He completed almost a year of science in less than a month and he's waiting for tests to come back so he can send the next one. So, I would agree that it probably isn't as challenging as it could be. But, he is enjoying it, and I do think he is learning new things.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#4 of 7 Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the input!

Mom of 6 and a new grandma.  Mom to a sweet boy with autism. Jesus is the love and the light of my lifestillheart.gif
homeschool.gif ribbonjigsaw.gifgrouphug.gifreading.gifwhale.giftea6.gif

#5 of 7 Old 03-31-2011, 04:59 PM

I am planning on using Keystone National High School next year. I have heard good things about it. Maybe you could look at that program.

#6 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 03:23 PM

Newbie here!  Just came to mothering dot come to see where my latest magazine was.  I have been looking around the forums.

We have used American School with two children that are now graduated.  American is a very inexpensive choice.  The entire 4 years' tuition is only one year at Keystone.  If finances are an issue, American is a good option.

If you are looking for the best academically, Keystone is much, much better.  If you do American, you can do the college prep high school which is more challenging than the regular version.  Word of warning though, their Algebra and Algebra II textbooks are terrible and most need extra help with those courses.

They have done some upgrades, so to speak, recently so they are supposed to be better.  They were known for losing exams so it is recommended you have copies of all the exams.

For us, the children knew what they were doingafter high school so we chose American to get high school done so they could head to higher education.  It worked for us for many reasons but I will say, I said I wouldn't use them again but fast forward three years and I'm considering them again.  LOL

I'm, also, looking into Penn Foster at the moment. 

Finances are a big selling point for me because I'd rather save money on the high school and use it for the college bills.

My two children did American College Prep in 2.5 years.  The basics ( english, math, spelling, etc.) were extremely easy like another mom mentioned.  A good student could get their first year math done in 3 months tops.  The 1/2 credit spelling can be in a week at most.

I guess to sum it all up, if finances are your biggest issue, American is a good choice especially if you do the college prep.  If academics are your must, look at Keystone (or other programs).

Carla (homeschooling our 16th year and the gray hairs to prove it!)

#7 of 7 Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 PM

Hi, I'm thinking about going to this school but I was just curious on how much the monthly payments would be and if you have to pay like a deposit at te beginning or something. Can anyone help?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page