how to word letter to school district about intent to homeschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-28-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started homeschooling my boys last week and so far its been awesome. I need to write a letter to the public school district about my intent to home instruct. Does anyone have any links to a template or simple letter I can use? Thanks!

#2 of 8 Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM

It would help to know what state you are in, since the laws vary so much as to what the school district/state actually wants (if anything).

#3 of 8 Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Right, sorry. New York State.

#4 of 8 Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM

Oh darn. lol.gif

I have lived in three states (and HSed), so I thought maybe I would get lucky and you would live in one 'my' states.

I have never lived in NY so hopefully someone else here will post soon.

#5 of 8 Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blNY.htm

Looks like all you have to say is, "I have withdrawn my child, X, from Y school and we have commenced home instruction as of (date)." With header/footer. You might check your district superintendent's webpage for a template or form; here we have to inform the county superintendent of schools, and there's an affadavit that just has to have a few blanks filled in and notarized. For NY, once they receive your letter, they contact you with details of what's expected for tracking/review. Good luck!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#6 of 8 Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM

I found this web site helpful www.nyhen.org, we live in NY.

Loving my life with J. and our kiddos Oldest Son 6/1997, Oldest Daughter 5/1998, Middle Son 9/2002, Youngest Son 10/2003 and our new baby girl 12/10 joy.gif  and our dog2.gif  dog2.gifcat.gifgoldfish.gif goldfish.gifgoldfish.gif
#7 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 01:41 PM

I'm in NYS too. i just pulled my daughter this week and sent my letter yesterday. I did have another HSing mom read it over (and i originally had her DOB, but took that out. I don't need to tell them that). Anyways, here is mine, which i did in business letter format. it reads:

To Whom This Concerns:

re: [my daughters full name]

grade level: 6th

This letter provides written notice of our intention to educate our child, [her name], at home for the remainder of the 2010-2011 school year.

Sincerely,

[my full name, and husband's]

we both signed this in black ink, but printed the letter. In our district, we send out letters to the Superintendent. If you are in a larger city, i would call the district office and ask to make sure though.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#8 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I sent the letter to the superintendent and phrased it quite like your letter, Kris. It went in the mail this morning. I'm glad to have it out of the way! Now I wonder if they will actually open it up and read it...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page