Q Regarding Kindergarten age cut-off - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Minnesota's Kindergarten age cut-off is September 1st. Ds will be 5 on September 2nd and I am thinking about starting him in K.

Is there anyway that I can do that and have it be recoginized by the state? I currently don't homeschool but am looking at starting this coming Fall and I will have a 1st and 2nd grader all ready so I thought I might as well do K cirriculum with the 3rd. I know I can still do it with him either way I was  just wondering if I can "offically" enroll him in K.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Where I live declaring your kids as homeschoolers just means that the government keeps track of information about the age of your child and the fact that they're not in school. It doesn't say anything about their academic level. If your child is listed as "1st grade" that merely means that based on age that's where your child would be placed if in school. When homeschooled kids enter the school system they're put with their age-mates. If that placement turns out to be inappropriate one would assume that they would consider adjusting the placement if that would be in the best interest of the child, just as they would with a gifted or learning disabled or ESL child, or one moving from a country with a totally different educational system.

My homeschooled 8-year-old is doing 6th grade work, but is considered a 2nd-grader by the officials in our school district. As I see it that's great: it gives us the wiggle room to adapt the pace and direction of her education with absolutely no fear that she would fail to measure up to grade level if assessed. In two years she'll have to do standardized testing as a 4th grader and I know it will be a cakewalk for her with no need for preparation or stress. That's exactly how I want the government's silly standardized testing to be ... easy and not intruding in the slightest upon her homeschooling.

By all means, start "homeschooling kindergarten" with your little guy in the fall if you want. But I would not legally declare him as a homeschooler until the following year (or whenever your state requires it). No point in subjecting yourselves to more regulations and scrutiny than you are legally obliged to accommodate.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 03-30-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou for that wonderful explanation!  :) That makes sense

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM

I just moved from MN, and I was under the impression that you don't have to report anything to the state until the Oct 1st after the child turns 7.  If you happen to be a liscensed teacher, you have even less to report.

Here's the link I found w/ information pertaining to MN HSing Law: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Minnesota.pdf

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  It seems like the pp said you don't even report "grade" just name age ect.. and then cirriculum. I am so used to everything being classified by grades/age that it is hard for me to wrap my head around doing it any differently.

User Tag List