"Little Passports" Feedback - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi:

I'm looking for feedback on the Little Passports program. It looks cool...and Homeschool Buyers Co-op has it 15% off.. possibly up to 25% off. I'm wondering if you've used it, what you thought about it. I see it as a supplemental learning activity, rather than fulfilling any sort of subject matter for a curriculum.

TIA smile.gif

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1529

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM

I've looked at it too and it looks SO tempting... something i would of liked as a kid but it's just so pricey that i haven't bought it. 

lurk.gif i hope someone here has used it.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#3 of 21 Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Angela has used it: http://satorismiles.com/

I know she blogged about it not too long ago.

I'm interested in it too, but I'll probably wait until my DS1 is a bit older.

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#4 of 21 Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

We've been using it this year.  

My dd loves getting her packet every month in the mail.  We like the little worksheet with small activities.  We have liked the "bigger" activities too (origami for Japan, excavating a pyramid for Egypt).  My dd loves the little suitcase and is eager to find the country on the map each month.  

We don't like the online activities.  Maybe we should give it another chance, but the time we logged on wasn't fun.  It was just a quiz format.  My dd doesn't read well enough to read the Q&A by herself and there wasn't an audio button.

To be honest, the program is pricey for what it offers.  I do like it though because it acts as a topic springboard for us.  My dd gets excited about the country simply because something comes in the mail.  I wouldn't get half the reaction if I just decided that we would do France in January and Egypt in February, etc.  I usually add a book or two from the library.  I try to find a non-fiction one about daily life and a folktale or other story from the country.  When possible, we watch a short travel dvd about the country, look up landmarks, and sometimes try to cook a dish from the country.  When dd finds the country on the map, she also identifies the capitol, continent, and prominent borders.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 21 Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. smile.gif

Zuzu, a curriculum addict like myself should have never visited sartorismiles. smile.gif I found something there called "Top Secret Adventures" which looks way cool too! Argh!!! It's a good thing I can't afford all of the curricula I want!

http://satorismiles.com/2011/02/15/top-secret-adventures-review/

#6 of 21 Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM

I'm sorry!! Every time I visit there, I have a similar experience. At least I'm in good company! wink1.gif

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#7 of 21 Old 04-02-2011, 04:41 PM

We really like it, but yeah, definitely just supplemental.  It has nowhere near everything you  need to teach about any of the countries.  But the kids love getting the mail and looking at Sam & Sophia's adventures.  

One that we found that's less expensive that we like a lot and offers a bit more hands on stuff is Exploration Earth: http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/2010/08/expedition-earth-journey-through-gods.html  (It is Christian based, but if you don't believe in that, there's a lot you can do without it...  It has language, animals, facts, crafts, etc. for each country)

But yeah, Little Passports is cool--my 4 and 7 year olds like it...but only the 7 year old understands the games right now.  The letters, picture, and souvenires each month are cute.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#8 of 21 Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 AM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

If you decide you want it, "Little Passports" is on sale at the homeschool buyers coop now.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 21 Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM

That Exploration Earth one looks great. I think I'm going to get that one instead. The Little Passports seems over priced and I don't really care much for inheriting a bunch of plastic trinkets either...

#10 of 21 Old 10-10-2011, 01:47 PM

I just wanted to say that Little Passports is currently half-price through Living Social.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#11 of 21 Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymama2008 View Post

I just wanted to say that Little Passports is currently half-price through Living Social.

Here's the link i found 3 months for $26 http://livingsocial.com/deals/148539-three-months-of-little-passports-packages?aff_id=792&offer_id=4

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#12 of 21 Old 10-11-2011, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

If you decide you want it, "Little Passports" is on sale at the homeschool buyers coop now.

Amy

Here's the link https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1529&c=1

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#13 of 21 Old 10-14-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Update, we did the 3 month program through LIving Social or Mamapedia (can't remember which).  My kids liked it, but it was way overpriced.  So many ways that it could be improved.  I have not ordered the additional months.  Only my 7 (now 8) year old could do any of the games, codes, etc.  Still, we now have a very nice map which the kids like referring to. LOL

#14 of 21 Old 12-17-2011, 02:05 AM

Can't agree more. Way overpriced for what you get -- a few plastic trinkets and such that just ended up getting tossed aside and are now occupying closet space. I feel that the product is really overhyped and misrepresented as an "educational" product. The actual educational content is really sparse, and your kids could learn a lot more from great children's magazines like Highlights, Crickets Magazine for kids, and Junior Scholastics for those who are a bit older. Honestly, your money can be a lot better spent elsewhere! Save your money!!

#15 of 21 Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 AM

So happy to have read this! I was JUST on the website and contemplated getting it, now I won't! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#16 of 21 Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 PM

I bought this over a year ago for my friends' daughter who is almost 12 now. Apparently she grabs her package every month and disappears into her room...she will NOT share it, it's her special thing...but refers to her countries during homeschool. I had bought a different kit series for her 7 year old sister, which is up for renewal, and talked to her mom who suggested I go with Little Passports again...and now they have a USA sequence, so hers will be "just for her". Where can you find something for about $12 a month that keeps a pre-teen interested? The only drawback is that the USA seems to require a single payment, where I just pay monthly for the original one.

I have seen someone said it was just a bunch of stickers...well, I know Spain had a map, language info, and castanets. That's just by way of the rumor mill - like I said, she anticipates their arrival and then disappears downstairs with her bounty. She certainly isn't disappointed!

#17 of 21 Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 PM

We are doing LP's now. Its okay./ Not as great as it looks on the website :)

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#18 of 21 Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

glad to hear somebof the cons to this program, we are planning on starting it next year.  we will defenitely do it month to month in case we decide it isnt a good fit.  I like the idea of it being something preplanned for us to do, and i feel it will be something the whole family will enjoy (a lot of times my husband isnt as interested, and i know he wants to try this out-having daddy involved is extra fun for the kids).  i knowbthere are stickers andbsuch, but what about the other consumables?  since my kids are still young i thought i could put aside the worksheet type items away until later.  is that possible?  we're pretty relaxed so i am expectingnthis to be more an intro or springbosrd into other things.

#19 of 21 Old 11-08-2013, 08:26 AM

I understand the difference in opinions - the kits have really gone downhill.  I now see it as a  cheap money maker.

Little Passports started out as a great product and my eldest daughter really loved it.   The packets were sent in great padded brown envelopes with country stamps on them (as advertised on the website - they really had a cool look to them).  Inside were quality souvenirs (i.e. Putamayo CD!)  and stickers for a passport, little suitcase, and map, a pass for online activities, and a gamesheet.  The accompanying pictures and stories were a little hoaky but still fun.

Now the package comes in a rumpled bubble envelope and the souvenir has devolved into a cheap, terribly disappointing piece of Cr**.  My youngest who so envied her sister's kit is so disappointed every time she opens the package.  Last time it was toy "made in mexico" so tiny as to be non-functioning ( and painful when it whacked into her knuckles) - her sister's from an older kit was full-sized and high quality.  This time it was a plastic whistle that didn't work (really, something that comes a 100 to a bag for $10).  I've pasted a pic that shows all the great stuff my eldest received previously.  The cheap plastic non-functioning whistle was received by my youngest today in a crumpled envelope (with an illegible South Africa stamp on it).

I've written to the company twice, but no reply.  I'm terribly disappointed in the two mothers who started it.  Either they're now only in it for the cash, they've sold the company to someone who's only out for the money, or they've fallen on hard times.

I hate seeing reviews now that rave about this - there will be many disappointed kids.

#20 of 21 Old 11-09-2013, 06:56 AM

We ended up getting it (wow this post is old) and I agree -- TOTAL CRAP! 

I was really hoping it would be different - we love getting mail and what a neat idea but totally not worth it. The bubble envelope that comes is as light as air and filled with a few incredibly cheap items (think bulk Oriental trading stuff...) it's almost embarrassing how little thought is put into each package. My daughter started off enthusiastic but as time went on, and the packages got worse I realized I could take the money I was spending monthly, and triple the awesomeness myself. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#21 of 21 Old 12-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Thanks so much for sharing and for taking the time to post the picture. I agree -- the cheap plastic trinkets are really pathetic when you consider how much you are paying each month. 

User Tag List