who is planning for First Grade - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to know what you all are doing so I can get some ideas.

#2 of 23 Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM

I am going to start Sonlight core 1.  DS was 2nd grade when we did it but I already have it and would like to avoid buying core K.  I know she will love the read alouds.  I also just bought Math Mammoth 1.  I loved Miquon for DS but it is too old for her at this point.  She really wants to get going with something so I thought I'd give it a shot.  We also use Hooked on Phonics and have been for a year now.  It is pretty exciting because she seems to have made a developmental jump recently leading me to thing she would really enjoy this stuff.  It is funny how different kids are but what I did with DS seemed right for him...

HTH!  What are you planning?

Tassy mom to DS(13), DD(8), and twin DDs (7)  homeschool.gif

#3 of 23 Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 PM

We're going to start in a couple weeks.

Rightstart Math

Nancy Larson Science

Myths Maps and Marvels for History

Writing With Ease

All About Spelling

I'll also sometimes do stuff from the Learn at Home series.

He takes karate and piano lessons as well. :)

Live and love with your whole being.
#4 of 23 Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 PM

I love, love, love writing with ease.  I have that coming for her, too but wan't sure if she was too little.  First language lessons also.  Ds is using writing with wase and I wish I would have known about it when he was younger.  I hope you really like it....

How is piano going?  we have a piano.  Ds has taken lessons in the past and done pretty well but is not right now.  I thought DD might be too young.  They all play strings using suzuki method but I'd love to have someone playing piano :)

#5 of 23 Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 PM

We finished Hooked on Phonics K and 1st and decided to wait for the 2nd grade level for a little bit. We are just reading for pleasure for the most part. 

Sequential Spelling

Core Knowledge-History and Geography

Math-undecided- always undecided

Science-we choose from the library and online resources

Language and Writing-undecided 

#6 of 23 Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I started with plans this past year. What ended up working was just teaching phonics. I did not really have a guide, but sort of did. I had some books my sister gave me with orders to learn phonics in so I did refer to that from time to time. We also have BOB readers so I looked at their orders. We watched Super Why and Word World and things like that on TV. I bought a couple reading computer games...Mia Reading and Super Why. I had planned to do Explode the Code, but that did not go over well. I also had Brain Quest, but ended up being less than thrilled with that too. I did have plenty of success with the handwriting. For the first half of the year, he refused to do anything and it was a fight. I finally gave up and figure I would try again after he turns 7 as a lot of developmental theorists (such as Piaget) seem to think that after 7 is a better time for formal learning. Well, he turns 7 in 6 weeks and suddenly, a couple weeks ago, he came to me ready to do school work! Every day, he does his entire rotation of work! He begs for it! If I cannot give him anything right away, he breaks down crying! Even this morning, I tried to explain to him several times that today is Saturday so we did not need to do anything. He did not take that for an answer so I had him write his name 3 times on the board and all his numbers to 20 on the board. He took that and did it. He just is so in to it now! I guess giving it time helped. Oh, and he went from a complete non writing and non reader to beautiful handwriting and reading a bunch! I guess he just needed for it to happen on his own time. 

So what I am trying to say is, if what you are doing is not working, don't stress. It is only first grade. Your child has plenty of time. Oh, and we use Singapore Math. 

#7 of 23 Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 PM

I second the PP's comment about being sensitive to their needs.... found that a ton with DS.  I am having the opposite situation here..... Things I know worked well for him at a later age that I am starting sooner with DD because I think he wants it and is ready.. it is all a grand experiement  :)

#8 of 23 Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy View Post

I love, love, love writing with ease.  I have that coming for her, too but wan't sure if she was too little.  First language lessons also.  Ds is using writing with wase and I wish I would have known about it when he was younger.  I hope you really like it....

How is piano going?  we have a piano.  Ds has taken lessons in the past and done pretty well but is not right now.  I thought DD might be too young.  They all play strings using suzuki method but I'd love to have someone playing piano :)

I found a piano teacher who teaches young children regularly and it's going really well. He's just had a couple lessons but I feel really comfortable with her teaching style and the way she explains things to him. He gets so excited and bounces around. He also loves practicing when I remind him.

Live and love with your whole being.
#9 of 23 Old 04-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Christopherus

HWT: possibly, we're going to see how it goes first

Alpha Phonics: another we'll see how it goes first, and then get this if needed.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#10 of 23 Old 04-03-2011, 02:33 PM

We are starting first grade in the fall. Some of the stuff we are using now and will continue and other stuff will only be change of levels:

BJU Bible 1 (will start BJU Bible K5 shortly and will finish over the summer)

Singapore Primary Math with CWP and IP books (currently using and will continue)

Noeo Chemistry I (currently using) then move onto Noeo Physics I

BJU English/Phonics 1 (currently using) then move onto 2

BJU Spelling 1 (currently using) then move onto 2

Modified Sonlight Core 3 (we are on a 3.5 year plan with this)

Various readers

#11 of 23 Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We're working on finishing K now {only 59 more days to go!} Can you tell I want to finish? We're planning on using Catholic Heritage Curricula for 1st grade with MCP Math A for math. I am still trying to come up with some type of art program to do as we aren't crazy about the Artpacs used by CHC. Music will be learning the Recorder {thanks to the thrift shop}.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#12 of 23 Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post

We are starting first grade in the fall. Some of the stuff we are using now and will continue and other stuff will only be change of levels:

BJU Bible 1 (will start BJU Bible K5 shortly and will finish over the summer)

Singapore Primary Math with CWP and IP books (currently using and will continue)

Noeo Chemistry I (currently using) then move onto Noeo Physics I

BJU English/Phonics 1 (currently using) then move onto 2

BJU Spelling 1 (currently using) then move onto 2

Modified Sonlight Core 3 (we are on a 3.5 year plan with this)

Various readers

Sonlight Core 3 in first grade?  I am doing it right now with my almost 10 year old.  Love it a lot but it would be quite over my 6yo.  What is the 3.5 year plan?  Hope you don't mind my asking.  I have 3 close in age and if there is a way to manage that, I'd love to know to save doubling efforts later  :)

#13 of 23 Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM

We're doing a K/1 year this year with my DS, who is almost 6, and has been "tagging along" with his older sister and therefore started some stuff earlier than I was planning for. 

We are using/will continue to use in the fall--super-relaxed:

RightStart Math

All About Spelling

Sonlight reading books (student-read and a few read-alouds)

Handwriting Without Tears

First Language Lessons

Writing With Ease

Crossroads US History

He takes a Spanish class (very light/laid back)

swimming

soccer

and an occasional science class

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
#14 of 23 Old 04-04-2011, 02:06 PM

We will continue with RightStart math and Handwriting Without Tears.

I'm leaning toward Sonlight 1 for history (with some substitutions) and read-alouds.  My state requires American history every year so I'll also have to squeeze some of that in somehow.

I'm considering Noeo science Biology 1, but I might wait another year and follow Mater Amabilis science for next next year.

I'm not sure about language arts.  He has already finished Catholic Heritage Curricula (CHC) Little Stories for Little Folks  and Catholic National Readers book 1.  He's an advanced reader.  I may end up going with CHC's 2nd grade reading/spelling/grammar (for my 1st grader) but I'm still looking at my options. 

I'll probably go with CHC for religion.

He takes a music class with our homeschool group and as long as the other parents are interested in continuing we will as well. My DH is going to start teaching him guitar lessons.  We listen to classical music and I plan to start reading about the lives of some composers.

Art...not sure yet.  FRUGALMAMA: can you tell me why you aren't crazy about the Artpacs that CHC uses?  I was thinking about purchasing the first one just because I don't know what else to use and it seemed reasonably priced...I'd love your opinion.

Oh, I'm also thinking about gently introducing a foreign language, either Latin or Spanish.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#15 of 23 Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest View Post

I'm leaning toward Sonlight 1 for history (with some substitutions) and read-alouds.  My state requires American history every year so I'll also have to squeeze some of that in somehow.

I'm considering Noeo science Biology 1, but I might wait another year and follow Mater Amabilis science for next next year.

I'm not sure about language arts.  He has already finished Catholic Heritage Curricula (CHC) Little Stories for Little Folks  and Catholic National Readers book 1.  He's an advanced reader.  I may end up going with CHC's 2nd grade reading/spelling/grammar (for my 1st grader) but I'm still looking at my options. 

He takes a music class with our homeschool group and as long as the other parents are interested in continuing we will as well. My DH is going to start teaching him guitar lessons.  We listen to classical music and I plan to start reading about the lives of some composers.

Art...not sure yet.  FRUGALMAMA: can you tell me why you aren't crazy about the Artpacs that CHC uses?  I was thinking about purchasing the first one just because I don't know what else to use and it seemed reasonably priced...I'd love your opinion.

Oh, I'm also thinking about gently introducing a foreign language, either Latin or Spanish.

Okay, let me preface this with saying the only one I've seen is Artpac 2, so this is based off it.

It doesn't really follow a theme or structure with progression of skills. It seemed really disjointed to me - do a page once in a while, whatever page you like style. I want something that teaches a progression of art - i.e. starting with working on staying in lines, basic color skills, then progressing to more difficult topics like shading, different media, etc. IMO the Artpacs aren't much more than a glorified coloring book with a few craft type projects thrown in.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#16 of 23 Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Okay, let me preface this with saying the only one I've seen is Artpac 2, so this is based off it.

It doesn't really follow a theme or structure with progression of skills. It seemed really disjointed to me - do a page once in a while, whatever page you like style. I want something that teaches a progression of art - i.e. starting with working on staying in lines, basic color skills, then progressing to more difficult topics like shading, different media, etc. IMO the Artpacs aren't much more than a glorified coloring book with a few craft type projects thrown in.

ETA: We're using Seton Art 1 in place of the Artpac for 1st. Yes, it's really just a craft book tied to the liturgical year with lots of coloring, but at least there is a theme to the work. I'll add in coloring pages like we did this year and work with her on staying in lines and early shading skills.

#17 of 23 Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Sorry for the duoble post - Firefox 4.0 does not like my pc and Mothering.com

#18 of 23 Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM

I'm planning for one now.  We did K this year - phonics, Cursive First, and music and art classes.  Plus just fun reading on a lot of subjects.

Next year we are planning on using the Ambleside Online year 1 plan.  DD1 is reading pretty well, so we are doing a spelling oriented plan for phonics - I ordered Spelling Through Phonics, which I hope will be good. I need to find a French program, and we may use MEP for math.

We are still going to do art (a class for homeschool kids by the lady that I took art from as a kid) and music (Music for Young Children.)  We are also going to try the local Young Naturalists Club for science.  They have really interesting speakers and field trips, and they can work at home to earn badges.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#19 of 23 Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

ETA: We're using Seton Art 1 in place of the Artpac for 1st. Yes, it's really just a craft book tied to the liturgical year with lots of coloring, but at least there is a theme to the work. I'll add in coloring pages like we did this year and work with her on staying in lines and early shading skills.

Thank you, that's good to know.  I am so NOT artistic so it's one of the subjects I struggle with.  I am actually using Seton Art 1 this year (technically doing K) because I was looking for craft projects that follow the liturgical year, although we haven't done all of them.  I also did some of the art projects in Who Am I? (which we blew through...we were done by January except for a handful of lessons I was saving for Lent/Easter, in hindsight I should have started him with 1st grade religion).  But like you, I'm looking for something that teaches a progression of art, so I appreciate the feedback!

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#20 of 23 Old 04-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Just subscribing to this thread. Right now all I'm doing is trying to save up for curriculae. And I'm not even very far (like... um... $15?). I also plan to hit up my mother for homeschooling sponsorship too :)

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#21 of 23 Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Thank you, that's good to know.  I am so NOT artistic so it's one of the subjects I struggle with.  I am actually using Seton Art 1 this year (technically doing K) because I was looking for craft projects that follow the liturgical year, although we haven't done all of them.  I also did some of the art projects in Who Am I? (which we blew through...we were done by January except for a handful of lessons I was saving for Lent/Easter, in hindsight I should have started him with 1st grade religion).  But like you, I'm looking for something that teaches a progression of art, so I appreciate the feedback!

If you liked Seton Art 1, you'll probably like CHC's A Year With God as it's a lot of the same, but more projects for older kiddos. We have both and do a little from each.

I'm still on the hunt for a good art program as my dd REALLY likes art and is pretty good at it for being 4.5yo.

#22 of 23 Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM

RightStart Math

Continuing on with Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading accompanied by BOB books and Explode the Code

Handwriting Without Tears

Story of the World Ancients

Life Science/Biology using Handbook of Nature Study and Lesson Pathways as guides

Lots of reading/read-alouds

we are ecclectic/welltrained mind/charlotte mason - if you CAN be all three of those at the same time?!?!?!?!?!

and we have an almost 4 year old taggin along thru some of this as well

#23 of 23 Old 04-09-2011, 02:41 PM

I'm still in the thinking stage.

RightStart Math Beta and the rest of BFSU for sure. I want to start French but not sure what to use. Cursive, geography, writing stories and poems, increasing her reading stamina (longer novels).

We did History Odyssey Ancients this year and I want to go more in depth with the same subjects this year.

The problem I'm having is that I want to buy/do fun stuff but can't really find anything in Canada. For example, I think dd1 would really love Top Secret Adventures, but they don't ship to Canada. I need inspiration for how to go about these subjects. We work best with things laid out in detail.

I think in the end I'm going to have to take some time to sit down and write/plan out my own stuff for us to do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page