Using ESD and hsing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's clear in my heart that DS needs speech therapy.  I decided this a while ago but waited looking for improvement.  I truly believe in letting children develop on their own schedule.  However, the poor boy is frustrated to tears with talking and there is a problem.  For example.  He brought me his beloved stuffed frog today and asked me to "pet" and "kiss" it.  However, "pet" and "kiss" sound exactly the same. 

We have good insurance and I tried to seek out a private speech therapist.  The only one remotely in the area only takes children with other developmental disabilities so we don't qualify.  The closest speech therapist who will take him is over an hour away.

I was told the only thing available in this area is ESD.  I'm naturally distrustful of ESD ( Sheepish.gif ) and don't really want to use them:  especially as a homeschooler.  But on the other hand I want my son to have help if he needs it or at least get evaluated. 

Has anyone had ESD experience as a homeschooler you can share?  Would you use them or not use them?  Should I just drive the hour one way to get a private speech therapist?  Which, if anyone is from Oregon, it would be the ArtzCenter in Portland.  http://artzcenter.org/

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 PM

I had services through early intervention when my son was turning 3. He had speech, occupational therapy, and spent 3 hours a day with aides and therapists in developmental preschool. He also went to Head Start. We had a good experience with it and I volunteered in his class and actually felt empowered to work with his needs. I also had an opportunity to meet some other parents with different abled children and it sparked an interest for me to become involved in our community and the United Way. 

#3 of 3 Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately another question mark has been added to my decision.  The front cover of the newspaper today was an article about how the state of Oregon wants to dismantle ESD and give the money to local districts instead. 

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page