who else is starting Kindy in the fall (offically) -- where are you now and what are your plans - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS1 is offically Kindy age in the fall, so we'll offically enroll him.

His skills are scattered and based on some of the "Kindy goals" I have looked at -- he is 1/2 way "there" LOL and others he is not even close.

we have been fairly loose on Preschool most of it being his ST and OT and so on -- rather than mouch "education" here at home.

He goes to the school district preschool for ST and today he was talking about Kindy and how "Brody would be his buddy there too" and that did make me sad, but i have already reached out to Brody's mom for 'out of school' play dates this summer so i am hoping that will smooth over.  we have always been clear that we are a homeschool family -- it is on the boys; IEPs, but I am guess DS1 never paid attention, i can see that. 

I am firming up my curr plans for fall --

where do the rest of you stand?

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 PM

Let's see we just sent in our enrollment packet for Options which is a once a week enrichment program for homeschool students in our area. For the most part we're going to continue with unschooling, though my DH and I will keep track of what happens every day a little more. Ds wants to do something more "school-y" so we're going to choose one thing he wants explore and focus on that for how ever long he's interested. He also wants to learn more Spanish so we're looking to see what options there are for non-reader and learning language at home. More for my own curiosity than anything I'm going to a curriculum/book fair for homeschooling families in a few weeks just to check it out.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
Old 04-14-2011, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My DS would start kindergarten this fall if he were in school, and we'll be sending in the official homeschooling paperwork for him for the first time.  We won't be doing anything too different than what we're already doing - just keeping track of it more for the end-of-year portfolio.  I'll be reading aloud a lot, we'll spend a lot of time observing nature, and I'll try to encourage him to keep moving forward with reading, writing, and math.  But I think he already has all the kindergarten-level knowledge down, so I don't feel much pressure to teach specific skills.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We're doing a non-academic kindy, so we're using LIttle Acorn Learning along with logic puzzles, living books, and kitchen science experiments.  I have everything purchased but haven't even begun to look at it yet.  I really need to do that.  We don't report until age 8, so no paperwork to go through here, thankfully!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 PM

my DD is kindy age .. based on the lists i've looked at she is 'ready' and in most areas she is a bit ahead - we will mainly be focusing on finding a way to help letter sounds/reading/phonics 'click' for her because so far its mostly blank stares or pretending she gets it but she keeps asking me to teach her to read..  she is ahead in 'math' and we'll try to do a lot of other fun stuff (cooking, crafts, history, geography, science - all of which she is really interested in right now)..  we don't keep records until 7 so i might start practicing but its not required..  i am not buying any curriculum because i feel ilke it would tie us down at this point.. she is just so interested in so many things and there are so many free resources out there..  i need to come up with a rough schedule because DS (3) will be in preschool 2 days a week so we will (hopefully) have time to do some more big-girl stuff then.. and on the other days i want to plan activities that he can be involved in if he is interested.. (plus, i will also have a 1 yr old)

right NOW i just finished (today) rearranging/painting etc. our playroom into a play-school room .. there are more books now, no TV, and 'stations' .. next step (after having a garage sale) is to convert a bedroom into another school area becaus ei have a feeling DD will need to get away from the distractions in the playroom for certain activities .. (full size dining table and more bookshelf storage) we have the space so i want to get it all organized and actually USE it.. 

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 AM

Ds#3 will officially start K in July (we go year round). We don't report until 6 years old, so I guess it's only official for us and not the state. We are already working through Singapore Math's Essential Math book A, so he'll go on to book B and then Miquon Orange. We also just started the All About Reading level Pre-1. Ds knows most all his letters and sounds (though not 100%) thanks to Leap Frog winky.gif so we are going through it a bit more quickly than if not, but I am really liking the rhyming and other phonemic awareness type games in it. He has one more book in the Explode the Code preschool level books.  We'll also start HWT's Kindergarten book at some point in time, though right now he's still working through the PreK book.

Everything else is just fun stuff - he tends to sit in with us while we do Latin and memory work. Sometimes he does some science with us if it looks like fun to him. I do think I'm going to do a bit more with him next year. The older two will be doing biology, and so when we do anatomy, for instance, I was going to read the appropriate section from a "My First Book" type of book on the human body. 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 04-16-2011, 03:24 PM

dd2 will start kinder in the fall through our homeschool charter school. We were going to wait until the next year when we were still planning on public school because she will be a young K starter (she won't be 5 until the end of October) but since we chose to homeschool our older dd  I figured I might as well start dd2 next year. She is on track for where I would like her to be to formally start K, knows letters, numbers, colors, shapes, etc. She wouldn't be ready for traditional K, maturity-wise. Right now we are just doing fun learning-type things. Lots of reading, crafting, workbooks (both of my girls love workbooks).

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Old 04-17-2011, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Our son turns 6 in December (over winter break) so we'll file our intent to homeschool in January. We have no other requirements besides that.

We're unschooly plus I believe in delayed academics. If he's interested in academics we'll support that, but there's no push at this young an age. I think play is just so important while they're little. So, I'll just keep arranging lots of playdates and field trips.

He does like to do starfall and knows all his letter sounds. My husband plays lots of rhyming games with him. We both read tons to him. I do random science experiments with him when he asks (we have several books by this author http://www.amazon.com/Great-Science-Experiments-Neil-Ardley/dp/0756619181/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303104469&sr=1-5 The photos are wonderful and my son can get a sense for which experiments he's interested in from the photos.)

I did buy most of the secular K sonlight books. I am holding off on starting them until fall. Every time I've tried to read chapter books to him, he's resisted. Hopefully by then he'll be ready for chapter books. I didn't get the instructor's guides, we'll just read the books.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 PM

We're starting K this fall and I'm still in the "figure it out" phase.  I have too many ideas of stuff to try, and yet I also feel like K is not a time for all sorts of cirriculum...

Tjej

Old 04-23-2011, 08:39 AM

We are going to start in June, as we want to school year round. We are starting with FIAR, math mammoth, and maybe some critical thinking company mindbenders (I am waiting for the books). My DD has been asking to learn to read so we will work on that and do the math as she wants. The focus this summer will be on outside stuff, nature study like a Charlotte Mason approach and then in the fall we will do more reading.

mum2row DD 3yrs & DS Oct/09
Old 04-23-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the thoughts everyone, i learn so much from other moms

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 04-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

he's reading 5 letter words and does simple addition and subtraction.  we dont technically have to start until hes 7 so we are pretty casual with it.  i have frontline phonics that i got when ds1 was 4 so we just do a book a night and kind of play with food for the math mostly an unschooling feel  

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:12 PM

We don't report until 6, but we're starting the Moving Beyond the Page K curriculum, just to get a feel of their curriculum to see if it's something we feel will fit with our family when we start 1st officially next year. We mostly play & read to him, but I'm still really just trying to figure out what kind of homeschoolers we'll be.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the pimput

I have our kindy choices picked out -- no daily or weekly plan yet though

http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/our-chosenkindergarten-curriculum-final/

Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 AM

I just got to sit down with two Mama's who are just finishing homeschooling kindergarten and it was the most reassuring talk. I'm pretty much planning on unschooling, except that we are going to add some more rhythm to our day. I'm thinking that we have a few calm hours in the morning to explore what interests ds three mornings a week. It might be true learning stuff or a project or cooking. The point isn't to have academics but to have the time that we focus only on each other. They said that in the end after all their planning that is what they ended up doing, I was ahead of the game. So my main goal for the next year has more to do with my anecdotal note keeping so I can have a record of the changes and learning going on. How are other people planning on keeping their records if they aren't using a curriculum?

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Wow, I hadn't consciously realized it yet, but yeah... DD will be "officially" kindergarten age in the fall... for whatever that's worth.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure what the cutoff date is here, DD's birthday is Dec 14th, so she only turns 5 very late in the year.  Possibly if we were doing school, we'd have the option of 'stalling' her for another year.  I don't know...

But there it is, she turns 5 during the next school year, so that's kindy.  I'd been thinking that if we started kindy this year, she'd be "early" but maybe it's not AS early as I'd been thinking lol... Although she's already doing quite a few things that technically would be considered kindergarten curriculum.

What we've been doing so far is a blend of unschooly Waldorfy Montessori-y (heh)... Most days we start with a Waldorf-inspired circle time with candle lighting, poems, songs, etc... even if we don't do anything school-like that day, she LOVES her circle time.  She spends at least 95% of her day in free range, creative play as well.  But when she's in the mood (which she often is after her circle time), we'll "do school" for an hour or so.

School consists of a choice of math (we're about 1/4 way through RightStart A) or music practice or reading practice or handwriting (using A Beka 4 Cursive) or sometimes something else.  I've got a bunch of K-2 Teachers Book Bag pdf's, a bunch of Intellego K-2 units, I've got one of the "Before 5 in a Row" books, we've got "Meet the Masters" art curriculum (which she LOVES)... Basically we're not going to do anything in particular in terms of CHANGE when we "start kindy"... I don't think of it that way... we're just going to keep doing what we're doing, gradually adding in more and more stuff as she's interested and ready for it. 

She seems to be gifted and enjoys a certain amount of bookwork, so although I believe in delayed academics I don't believe in *artificially* delayed academics, if you see the difference.  So I'm not 'pure' Waldorf in that sense.  But my readings on Waldorf help keep me grounded, ensuring that we don't overdo the academics and that there's a good emphasis on story, song, creative play, painting, crafting, knitting... and the Montessori influence keeps me mindful of her practical skills, in that her helping in the kitchen is JUST as important to her education as any 'bookwork'.  If not MORE important, really.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 PM

dd1 turned 5 in december 2010, but here that means she starts kindy in sept 2011.  so, she is pretty well where she should be, but now we have to report.

there are 8 sections we need to follow for the state of MD:

language arts: we are going to use the writing program from the WTM people.  BOB books for phonics. also, she is just starting reading to herself so we will keep a list of those books and for all books that i read to her she will need to draw a picture and write a sentence describing something out of the book (we're calling it a reading journal, we usually read a book every week or two)

math: starting singapore early bird

science: using Nebel's building foundations

social studies: i am a geographer and geologist, so i am nuts about spatial relationships.  we are doing 3 things for this section: using Open the Door let's Explore more we will make maps of different buildings and local areas to understand how things are set up in our community and to build spatial skills.  we are also going to get a big map of MD.  using the website Markeroni we are going to research different historical markers and take trips to go find them.  then we are going to write in our journal what it was, why its important. later we will mark it on our map at home, list it on a timeline, and research it at the library. the third piece is going to be letterboxing.  that is also to build spatial relationships and understand proper map and compass use.  i imagine we will be doing 2 activities (markeroni, letterboxing, mapmaking) once a week.

PE: we are going to start rock climbing at a local climbing gym. also continue swimming, possibly a dance class, also just running around and yoga at home

health: this has me stuck. i don't know really what to do.  i am thinking i will make a little journal and everyday she writes an entry about a health related thing we did (discuss eating a rainbow, brush teeth, lapbooks about your body?)

music: found a solfa teacher locally.  and we are learning to play the ukulele together

art: i have some great art books by mary kohl, as well as some kids sewing books

i haven't chosen these topics, the state requires them and reviews w/parents once a year, 2x in the first year of hsing. if it were up to me i would skip the health and not really think about the PE, just have her in classes and teams, swimming and climbing. written out it seems like a lot, but we are already doing the language arts stuff, it doesnt take long at all, and most of the reading is our relaxing time anyway.  also, the Social studies stuff will take us out of the house, and it will only be 2x a week. 

Old 04-29-2011, 06:55 AM

raelize, for 'health', would they be doing it every day in school?  I think it's more the sort of thing where you'll actually be *practicing* it every day, but maybe only journal about it once a week?  I can see that getting tedious having to journal about brushing your teeth every day.  :)  Otherwise, lapbooks about the body sound like a great idea.  :)

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey B View Post

How are other people planning on keeping their records if they aren't using a curriculum?

I'll have a file folder where I can save writing samples, math work, drawings, etc.  I'll have files on my computer where I can keep lists of books read, a physical activity log (PE is one of the required subjects for my state), and notes on other activities we do, like science experiments or museum trips.  I've already been doing this for 3 years with my older kid, and that has worked out fine.  At the end of the year, I put together a portfolio the form of a website, with a page for each subject area.  I include scanned copies of worksheets, artwork, etc., photos, book lists, and descriptions of activities.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks for starting this thread!  It's so fun to see what others are doing and the links are great! :)

Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone i love to see the other 'plans out there' to see what others have found ... so much to steal LOL

Old 05-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We're officially starting kindy with DD1 in the fall (well, mid-August, as that's when schools start around here).

She's doing K/1st level reading and math already, at her initiative. We'll continue with what we're already doing for that - Math Mammoth (and possibly MEP) for math; Hooked on Phonics, Starfall, Progressive Phonics, and Explode The Code for reading (she goes through phases of preferring one over the others).

Copywork for handwriting. 

I'm also planning on doing basic US history/symbols/government/geography along with DS, who will be in 3rd grade. I hope to do things from http://weefolkart.com/content/homeschool-companion-guides for a more project-y type thing, which I never really did with DS. I also plan to include her in science with DS, but haven't quite decided what we're doing for that.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 AM

Well the school year runs Feb - Dec here BUT since DD just turned 5 on the weekend, a few weeks before the cut-off she could have started in Feb or waited until next Feb. We will need to apply for registration from her 6th birthday (actual birthday, not the start of the school year) so I feel like we are just beginning kindy now she is 5.
Tankgirl our "school" sounds a lot like yours:
Quote:
School consists of a choice of math (we're about 1/4 way through RightStart A) or music practice or reading practice or handwriting (using A Beka 4 Cursive) or sometimes something else. I've got a bunch of K-2 Teachers Book Bag pdf's, a bunch of Intellego K-2 units, I've got one of the "Before 5 in a Row" books, we've got "Meet the Masters" art curriculum (which she LOVES)... Basically we're not going to do anything in particular in terms of CHANGE when we "start kindy"... I don't think of it that way... we're just going to keep doing what we're doing, gradually adding in more and more stuff as she's interested and ready for it.

She seems to be gifted and enjoys a certain amount of bookwork, so although I believe in delayed academics I don't believe in *artificially* delayed academics, if you see the difference. So I'm not 'pure' Waldorf in that sense. But my readings on Waldorf help keep me grounded, ensuring that we don't overdo the academics and that there's a good emphasis on story, song, creative play, painting, crafting, knitting... and the Montessori influence keeps me mindful of her practical skills, in that her helping in the kitchen is JUST as important to her education as any 'bookwork'. If not MORE important, really.
We identify as unschoolers but at the start of the year when all her schooled friends were starting K, DD and I came up with "3 things". Each day, usually around lunchtime I give her three suggested activities and she chooses one. We use different materials to Tankgirl (Singapore Maths, Song School Latin, ETC, Miquon, Reading Eggs, Mathletics, BFSU, et al) but the concept is the same - we have a bunch of materials based on her interests and she chooses what she does each day. Music practice isn't ever included in the 3 things - I don't want to send the message one could choose not to do it wink1.gif TBH I often use her 3 things to get her to do something non-academic like play outside or paint a picture.

I also agree with Tankgirl's stance on not artificially delaying academics. If we weren't unschooling we'd be much closer to pure Waldorf but I can't force DD to fit that mold.
ETA she usually also does a few "academic" things by her own volition, our "3 things" was mostly just to satisfy her need to be doing something formal as "school" since people kept asking her about it. Now when they ask what she did for school she usually answers with whatever her 3 things choice was.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
Old 05-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I will officially have another kindergartner in the fall! :) We don't have to report in OR until they are 7 by sept 5th. We keep track of school work with binders. Each kid has a binder for school work, and another for art work. Plus I take pictures of the stuff too big to put in binders before the time comes that I dispose of it.

My K plans are tentatively like this:

math: We use a combination of Rod & Staff, a misc. workbook, and homemade worksheets. He excells at math. It's crazy.

phonics: Besides the misc. phonics workbooks we have, I'm just not sure about this subject yet! I love Rod & Staff but the spaces provided for writing in their workbooks are so tiny! My son still needs BiG writing space. So I'm on a phonics curriculum hunt.

science: Read alouds.

handwriting: Copywork & letters to grandma & grandpa.

character training: I also have some read alouds I love (such as Wee Lambs, also from Rod & Staff :)  ).

Also, I have FIAR (Five in a Row) that I'm going to try for the 1st time. I just don't have any opinion on this curriculum yet. I think it looks..... wierd. But I'm going to dive into it anyway, based on the amazing reviews it gets. What, me a trend follower?  :p

We do tons of crafts.

I'm not going to do any official history or geography 'til 1st grade, besides what I utilize from FIAR.

I don't have any sense of how I'll organize it all yet. We spend 60 minutes a day for preschool, in addition to crafts. I'm thinking I'll double that for K-  9:30-11:30am.  ?

That's what I've got so far! :)

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

We're doing a non-academic kindy, so we're using LIttle Acorn Learning along with logic puzzles, living books, and kitchen science experiments.  I have everything purchased but haven't even begun to look at it yet.  I really need to do that.  We don't report until age 8, so no paperwork to go through here, thankfully!

I like the sound of your plans!  Would you be willing to list your materials more specifically?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM

It's funny how things change.  When I was making our plans I had no idea there was a Waldorf school in our area much less one that is a co-op for homeschoolers!!!!  For our curriculum I'm going to use the co-op and will simply unschool with fun crafts other than that.  I'm pretty excited about this.  No. More than that.  Jumping up and down with glee!!! Really, it gives me the bravery to simply unschool.  I'm still working on "deschooling" myself.  I will feel like they are getting some structure/routine from the Waldorf co-op and will transfer the Waldorf activities to group ones rather than me leading them. 

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM

We're not going to officially start in the fall, but rather next March. With our seasonal rhythms I feel like we will have more opportunity to get out of the house in the nice weather and go to parks, lakes, farms, etc. and have more of a hands on approach, so we chose to start in the spring. DD will be 5 in April and starting in March (when we can register with the state) will give DH the reassurance of seeing how hs will work for us (and in his mind-if it doesn't we can still send her to K at the PS that neither of us like nut.gif). He's only just agreed on hsing about six weeks ago, so he's still extremely nervous. I've been assuming we'd hs all along. We're leaning towards a secular Charlotte Mason approach because I like how she emphasizes being outside, short lessons, and good literature. It also gives structure for DH to feel comfortable with. I've been looking at MEP mathmatics as well, starting with Reception. Science is still undecided here, but I'm sure we'll be doing some experiments along with nature study. We'll use Story of the World for our history spine and find books covering the discovery of America and the colonies. We've just begun reading our first chapter book recently, and I have a whole list to download from LibriVox, for our read alouds. DD has been playing on Starfall.com, but I'm still undecided if we need more of a phonics program. We own plenty of poetry books too that we will use for reading and copywork, but I'm not sure when we will start that. DD is not really interested in writing yet and I'm not interested in pushing her since she's still so young. I am planning to purchase HWOT as well. Then we'll have picture/composer study as a component of art/music, and DD takes a dance class that will count for PE. Habit training will cover some health topics, but we'll fill in the rest. I think that's all for now. I still have a while to think about it and to see where DD is at that point in time, but I will probably start purchasing materials here and there and we're attempting to add more of a focused routine for the mornings. Anyhow, I hope it's ok if I join in since we're starting K at an odd time of year.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

Old 05-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post

I like the sound of your plans!  Would you be willing to list your materials more specifically?

Little Acorn Learning is primarily for stories and crafts. We also have some Enki kindy stories that I'd like to work in some way, but I haven't figured out how yet. I have the Waldorf songbook http://www.amazon.com/Waldorf-Song-Book-Brien-Masters/dp/0863150594/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305562213&sr=1-1, and the Singing Year http://www.amazon.com/Singing-Year-Festivals-Hawthorn-Press/dp/1903458390/ref=pd_sim_b_13. to work on for building up a good repertiore of simple but beautiful songs.  For read-alouds we have a Raggedy Ann and Andy treasury, Frog and Toad, Little Bear, and I'm thinking of adding in A Bear Called Paddington.  (We already do all the Winne the Pooh stories and Beatrix Potter, but we'll continue reading these).  We also have the Charles Fadiman literature anthology recommended by Ambleside online, which is good, and we periodically pull it out for a good story.  For math, we will focus mainly on building logic skills.  We have the game Set, tangrams (Shape By Shape), and dd gets puzzle books in the mail every other month (have you ever heard of PuzzleBuzz?  If not, it's through Highlights and it has some great logic puzzles for this age).  For science, we take daily nature walks, grow a garden each year, raise caterpillars.  We also will do kitchen "science" experiments, but this will probably be sporadic, though I've contemplated doing it each Friday.  We'll see.  We're Waldorf-inspired so we will use the above resources for a short circle time each day followed by "handwork" of some sort.  Monday we'll do clay/playdough modeling (I'm thinking of saving beeswax until grade 1), Tuesday, logic games and puzzles, Wednesday, coloring (I plan on getting out a good picture book and having dd and I copy a picture and then do some drawing of our own), Thursday, painting, and Friday, bread-baking.  Dd is very advance academically and with gross motor skills so my main goal this year is to get us into a rhythm of doing a lesson each day so that we're in a good place for grade 1.  To me, kindergarten is about setting the stage for academic learning but not really sitting to "do" lesson work.  Wishing you the best!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Lux in the description of the Waldorf songbook I read it says
Quote:
This book is designed for classroom and home use with children from age 8 to 12 onwards.
Do you think there is any reason not use it earlier? Not questioning your choice, just asking your opinion as you have actually seen the book and I haven't.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmama2 View Post

Lux in the description of the Waldorf songbook I read it says

Quote:
This book is designed for classroom and home use with children from age 8 to 12 onwards.

Do you think there is any reason not use it earlier? Not questioning your choice, just asking your opinion as you have actually seen the book and I haven't.

The only reason I can think of is that some of the songs contain harmony and rounds, which would be inappropriate for a young child, but you could easily leave those out.  Most of the songs are very simple melodies.  I think many times Waldorf overdoes the "protection" factor.  My plan is not to use every song in the book for kindy but keep this as a resource for years to come--if that helps clarify a bit.  I think overall it's a good resource for simple but lovely songs, and I think kindy and grade 1 level children should have no difficulty with many of the songs, especially since they will be imitating anyway.  I would list some of the songs, but most I've never heard of.  The Ash Grove is the only one that I recognize, just flipping through it. 

Tags
Making A Smooth Transition To Kindergarten Important Information For Parents , University Games Super Why Abc Letter Preschool Game , Learning Resources
User Tag List