Transitioning from Waldorf to Classical Curriculum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really love Waldorf education for the early years (birth through age 8) but am finding that once my kids hit around 4th grade, Classical curriculum better fits our needs and goals. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on transitioning from Waldorf to Classical?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 11 Old 04-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any advice, but I'm finding myself interested in a similar transition.... Interested to see what others have to say.

#3 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 04:25 PM

This is exactly what I want to do too!  Sorry that I don't have any advice, but I will be watching this thread in hopes that someone else will!  I love Waldorf for the younger years but starting around 4th grade at the latest I'm going to look to transition out of the traditional Waldorf path while still keeping some Waldorf elements--holistic-style, handwork, artistic expression.  Have you looked into Heart of Dakota?  I had heard of them but had never really looked into their curriculum until I got their (very nice) catalogue in the mail the other day.  I really liked what I saw.  It looks like a combination of hands-on, Charlotte Mason-inspired ideas and Classical Ed.  It was also reasonably priced and Christian-based.  I'd like to hear more reviews on this, but it looks interesting.  I think I would still add in a few Classical elements like Latin, as well as the Waldorf elements I mentioned above, but this is just my preference.  Just a thought.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#4 of 11 Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I will check that out. I've heard HoD is kind of spendy though.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 PM

'

I feel similarly.  My oldest is in third grade this year, and we are using a combination of Classical and Waldorf materials.  Next year, we will be moving even more towards Classical.  We are going to be using Tapestry of Grace, and I am really really excited for it.  I will still keep some Waldorf elements in his education, and surely in our home, but he will mostly be using Classical resources

.I

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#6 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM

I'm having trouble posting, so sorry for the double post!

My next oldest will be in 1st grade in the fall, and I really want to keep her in a pretty traditional Waldorf curriculum for at least next year.  It will be hard though, because I know she'll be wanting to do what he does.  And, that is a large part of the beauty of TOG too- that it works for many age groups.  I think I'll have her follow along with history and science as much as she likes, but then do Waldorf language arts with her.  I am undecided on math though. 

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#7 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 05:18 PM

Subbing - I'm really interested in combining Classical and Waldorf styles of homeschooling when the time comes.

#8 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

So, it looks like there are a few of us who are interested, but no resources out there? Maybe we can figure it out together.

#9 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 PM

I am actually doing the opposite and transitioning from classical to a more waldorfy approach. I would recommend going and checking out the Well Trained Mind boards. They are very active and it is mostly classical homeschoolers, but because it is so active there is a mix and I am sure they would have a better idea of specific resources. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/index.php

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#10 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, great idea-- thank you!

#11 of 11 Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 AM

So glad to see this... my children aren't schl age yet but I have thought I was more waldorf/unschooler by personality and lifestyle but I just found out about Classical Education about a month ago and have been studying up on it and I love it and just feels so right with me and what I actually want my kids to learn!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page