Early Science Curriculum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone ever used Real Science-4-Kids by Dr. R.W. Keller? I am looking at the Pre-Level 1 Biology, Chemistry, & Physics.

If so, what did you think of it?

I am looking for a science curriculum because if I don't have a curriculum I don't touch it. So the experiement books that I have just don't work for us.

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 PM

I also looked into that science program also, but we didn't use it, so I don't have anything to offer on that front. Like you, I won't touch it without a lesson plan... I just know myself that well! LOL!

We just started using REAL Science Odyssey by Pandia Press. They have a free download of the first few units on the website and I LOVE it so far! There are lots of hands-on activities, like coloring, and lots of labs. The good thing is that most needed materials are already in the house or are pretty easy to get. It is a get-your-hands-dirty kind of program, so you have to be okay with that, but that is why my kids love it so much. There is a good listing of book and website supplements (you'd probably need some to help reinforce that material learned) and also a materials list for the whole course so you can be prepared. My kids are 5 and 7 and they are really loving it so far (we are doing "Life" now)!

http://www.pandiapress.com/real_science.htm

It is pretty affordable and you can choose the ebook or a printed version. 

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

We used it.  Overall it was a good program.  We had the Physics one that was geared for grades 4-6th.  My dd did this in 4th grade.  We got the whole thing-- text, student workbook, and teacher book.  The text was simple to read/understand, there was an experiment/lab for each chapter.  The teacher's guide explained things further, gave answers to the review questions, and (most importantly to me) it gave me a clue as to what to expect for the lab.  There were ten units.  We did just one unit/month and did other science the rest of the month (random experiments, etc).  A motivated kid could do the program on his/her own.

I can't remember whether it is a secular program or not.  I couldn't find anything remotely religious in the physics curriculum.  I imagine that the Biology one would be more of a place for creation/evolution topics.

We did think that they should have listed the age group as grades 2-6 instead of 4-6 because many younger kids would have been fine with it.  You could do one unit/week if desired.  If you have a particularly advanced child, you may consider going up a level.  This isn't written for a "gifted" audience.  We did really like it; only downside for us is that my dd doesn't like being required to read the chapter first.  She also wanted things to explode and physics wasn't the place for that.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (12), Maya (8). 
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 AM

It is not fully a secular program - the author is decidedly Christian, and has been quoted as wishing to use her program to plant the seeds of her faith in the students using her curricula. That said, I have not perused the program myself, so I cannot speak for how overt the tone is.

We have really enjoyed Real Science Odyssey - we are finishing up the grammar stage Life unit and my kids love it.

For next year, I have purchased Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy, and I think we will really enjoy it as well

Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie911 View Post

It is not fully a secular program - the author is decidedly Christian, and has been quoted as wishing to use her program to plant the seeds of her faith in the students using her curricula. That said, I have not perused the program myself, so I cannot speak for how overt the tone is.

She claims it is "neutral".  I have not found in it anything at all like what might be in a creation-based science program.  I have the level 1 biology book.  So far I haven't seen any mention of evolution but I haven't seen any mention of any alternatives either.  The question does not appear to be approached.   I do my best to use 100% secular materials and I was aware of her intelligent design alignment, but I could not find anything comparable to these books that is 100% secular.  I love that they are "real science" (biology, chemistry, physics) and written in language so that I can read them to our 8 yo and he isn't lost.  These books have great pictures too.  I have not purchased the teacher's manuals or lab workbooks.   I love the textbooks though.  They do not beat around the bush or go off chasing bunnies.  They are very organized and on-topic for what specifically is being covered in each section.  I have been frustrated with most materials for this age because they are either too "lite" or they go off on stories or tangents and this is frustrating to both me and our son.  I would also love to do Science Odyssey in the future but it is very hands-on, and right now our 5 yo keeps me too busy to do much hands-on science.  These textbooks are perfect for us. 

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies!!

I would love to do REAL Science Odyssey, but I also run a dayhome and so I am taking care of 8 kids all between the ages of 2 and 6. (3 of them are 2...and I'm not going to attempt doing formal science with them!!!)

So I need something that isn't totally time consuming. In a few years we will def use REAL Science Odyssey. But I think in the meantime these books will do us good. I like that we can cover 3 sciences in 1 year. I like that they are short. But wow....expensive!! My kids are 4 and 6 so the pre-level 1 should be a good fit. They are both gung-ho to get started!!

User Tag List