Oak Meadow AND Sonlight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anybody combine these two programs? Is it too much to do? TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Haven't used either but yes, I think it would be like holding down two full-time jobs. I have a feeling you wouldn't be able to do either justice without burning both yourself and your kids out.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 PM

I know Sonlight well and oak meadow only generally.  It seems to me that it depends on how deeply you delve into the curriculum.  We do Sonlight history and reading and can just do the reading selections (which are wonderful) or cover the comprehension questions as well- which adds a lot to what the kiddos get out of the text IMO.  We do different math, handwriting, language arts, science,etc.  I don't know how hard it is to compartmentalize Oak Meadow but it is very easy to do so with sonlight.  If it is easily picked apart then it shouldn't be too much work.

GL!

Tassy mom to DS(13), DD(8), and twin DDs (7)  homeschool.gif

Old 04-25-2011, 12:18 AM

i've used both. i've used OM kindy and secular sonlight p3/p4 and p4/5 with guide books and i've used OM 6th grade with secular sonlight reading list from their 1 year world history overveiw but no guide book.

i really like it and i think they complement each other pretty well. I really found i like them although do get the sonlight books if you can ahead of time to check them out before you buy. 

SO far i've not felt like it was too much. OM is my spine and although we read the sonlight books we do their guide books activites only if we feel like it. Now i've not tried adding in their whole science or a math program along with OM but I don't think it would of been a problem to do so. I would just pick one or the other as your main curriculum and then use the other one to supplment.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

User Tag List