New Reader and reading out loud with finger point to word - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Nicholas just started reading in the last 3 months and reads Frog and Toad.  When he reads outloud he points to each word while reading.  This is probably because when I was reading outloud to him for practice, I was pointing to each word as I said it.  I thought I was teaching him to connect with the word while reading.  I only did this for reading practice time.  When I read to him ALL other times, I do not point while reading.

Now I am thinking I started him in a bad habit????  Is this something to worry about?

Anybody experience this? TX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM

That's totally fine!  Lots of beginning readers do that. As he reads more quickly and naturally he will stop doing that. Relax and enjoy!

#3 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 04:48 PM

It's not a problem at all.  He may do that for a short time or may do it for a year or more....wither way, it is not a problem but will help his eyes stay focused on the words and the correct line.  He will most likely break this on his own as he becomes a more advanced and confident reader.  I would never feel it to indicate a problem unless he goes on reading for several years without breaking the habit AND is also a slow reader at that point.....then I would wonder...BUT....I have a feeling you'll never get to that point...so just sit back and ENJOY!!

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#4 of 6 Old 05-07-2011, 07:43 PM

At school they teach them to do this to start with.

#5 of 6 Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post

At school they teach them to do this to start with.

As a first grade teacher, I DO want my children doing this when they begin reading.  It helps them attend to the print and keep track of where they are at.  Like everyone else has said, as your child gets quicker and more confident he'll drop the finger pointing.  I have readers in my class who no longer do it, some that do, and others that I wish did because it would help them so much more to focus on the sounds the letters make instead of guessing at something that doesn't make sense.

annettemarie likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 05-09-2011, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone.  I will let it go and enjoy having him read out loud to mesmile.gif

Goodness--I never knowledged to myself that YEAH I taught him to read!!  I am so worried about all the little things.........

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page