Radical curriculum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm searching for radical or alternative curriculums.  I like the look of Global Village but I thought perhaps asking around might be better... I'd rather have a referral than take a risk, no matter how good the marketing is for a particular hsing type.  Primary (grade 4/5) and I also have a 3 year old.

Thanks.  smile.gif

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#2 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 AM

Radical in what way? I haven't heard much about GVS, but you might be interested in Enki. Are you a Waldorf-inspired hs'er?

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't heard of Enki.  My daughter went to a Waldorf for six months and I do like it.  

Radical, I guess, in that they help you unschool in a way, less text booky and more experiential.  My daughter loves to read, too.  I'll look up Enki.  

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#4 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mittsy, Enki looks great!  I wonder if I can do that here in Australia?  Most of them translate internationally so I'll keep poking around the site.  My only concern is my daughter has SID, esp dyspraxia so I have to be careful with Waldorfy type schools - too crafty, using hand details, which is difficult for her.  A little bit will be good, to develop that area, but I'd hate for her to be always struggling to do craft work.  So I'm just making sure that the "learning through art" philosophy isn't too arty, if you know what I mean.

#5 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

It appears they don't have grade four available.  Oh well.  At least I don't have to pain over a decision now.  lol.gif

#6 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:

My only concern is my daughter has SID, esp dyspraxia so I have to be careful with Waldorfy type schools - too crafty, using hand details, which is difficult for her.  A little bit will be good, to develop that area, but I'd hate for her to be always struggling to do craft work.   

Is this for your 3 yr old? or the Grade 4?  There is a ENKI Experience where you can actually ask questions that Betth Sutton, the creator of Enki, will answer.  They also have a free pre-purchase conference call that you can ask questions.  With the sensory stuff, Beth is awesome with and maybe you can do this stuff after all.  Grade 3 is coming out in the next month.  Here is the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EnkiExperience/?yguid=73572948

I know Grade 4 is in the works.  For right now, only people who have done Enki Grade 3 are allowed access to Grade 4, where you all work together with Beth to create Grade 4. 

#7 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds perfect.  

My dd is SID, 9yo, 4th grade.  My DS is 3yo, not sure if SID but is totally opposite to DD.  It has been a real struggle and I might start a thread actually.  They are opposite SIDs, which really messes with each other and drives me into the fetal position.  Anyway, Enki sounds so cool.  Pity.  We'll catch it next year perhaps.  I might have to go with Global Village or the pagan one I found for now.

#8 of 8 Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:

They are opposite SIDs, which really messes with each other and drives me into the fetal position.  

hug2.gif  BTDT - And I have an only!  When you buy a ENKI curriculum you get free monthly conference calls with Beth.  I KNOW other mammas who were in the same situation as you and she was able to help them get to a better place.  Plus, if you buy a complete Grade package, you a get ONE free consultion with Beth.  She would help you adjust the Grade 3 curriculum, if necessary, to the Grade 4 child.  I still think it is worth it to check it out and do a FREE pre-purchase call over at Enki Experience.  Just tell them everything and see if it is worth it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page