Foreign Language Resources - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-10-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi I am new to the unschooling forum.  I have a 5 year old daughter.  We have decided to try a science based charter school next year for Kindergarten.  There are pros and cons, and one of the things we would like to supplement is foreign language.  We travel a lot and it is important to us.  We have attended a co-op Spanish immersion preschool 1 day a week for the past few years, so she has a basic understanding of Spanish.  My husband and I both speak a spattering of Spanish, German, French and Italian... but nothing close to fluent.  He is an elementary school teacher and I work outside the home 2 days a week.  I thought it would be easy to find a program to teach a young child Spanish or French, but after several weeks of searching I am more confused than ever.    Can someone please point me in a direction for an entire program? Any advice would help.  Thanks.

#2 of 6 Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Welcome to the unschooling forum!  Unschoolers sometimes use curriculums or programs but it doesn't tend to be their emphasis.  You might get a bigger response in the main homeschooling forum, Learning at Home and Beyond.  I'm not familiar with any language programs but my niece likes the Rosetta Stone computer program.  She showed it to me and it seemed like a nice way for a child to self direct their language learning but she is older (12).  There is probably something more appealing for younger kids.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 6 Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Like I said I have no idea where to be :)  

#4 of 6 Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Dar

Moving this to Learning at Home and Beyond fro Unschooling... I think you'll find more answers here, and if you search this forum there are already a lot of foreign language curricula mentioned.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#5 of 6 Old 05-20-2011, 02:32 PM

Don't forget to look for conversation groups in your area. I just discovered a conversation group for native-speakers of our target language and their babies/toddlers, and they have very kindly said we can come too and speak very slowly and simply to me.

#6 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 PM

If you have itunes, check out the podcast section. They have some pretty great foreign language podcast you can learn from.  Our favorite is Coffee Table French.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page