Enki - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone here used Enki Education?  I opted against this for kindy and chose Little Acorn Learning but I am considering it for grade 1.  What did you think? 

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#2 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 03:08 PM

After years of researching Enki we just ordered the 2nd grade package and I'm so excited! We used Christopherus last year for 1st and it was good...I wanted more nature stories though, and everyone I talk to who uses Enki raves about the quality of their stories. I really wish we would have purchased Enki for 1st so I could use it with my younger ds.

I also wish we would have used Enki for K. The Christopheru K guide is a great read, but I was left wanting more ideas and stories, more "meat" I guess.

I realize that may not help since we do not currently have Enki (yet) but I thought I'd share anyways :)

#3 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 PM

Hi, I just wanted to chime in....i purchased Enki math (grade 1) with the idea that it would give me an idea of how Enki 'worked' what it was about, because from the website and others reviews it seemed so beautiful.  And I am totally confused.  It is a 3 ring binder with stories, many (most) of which we already have in one book or another, folk tales, fairy tales....beautiful stories...but it left me wondering.....what does this have to do with math?  How do i implement it?  Do I just tell the stories and hope that he starts to absorb the various concepts that are within them?  I emailed enki and asked about how to 'use' the package, and was told I needed to buy another book.  (would've been nice to know that when I bought the grade one math package)   Another thing, if you are used to curling up on the couch with a nice book with your little one for a story, the big 3 ring binder thing just does not lend itself to curling up with, it is awkward, and with the cost of the program, I wish they had opted to put the stories into an actual book form.  We just end up using the same stories, but from 'the blue fairy book', or 'the red fairy book', or 'east of the sun, west of the moon' for bedtime.  I really wish I had loved it, because I was SOOO excited to get it.  But I don't plan on using it, it may work for many people, who want to sift through all the stories and choose the ones that resonate with them, but it just doesn't make sense for me... when we already have in my home many wonderful stories to choose from....just my 2 cents! -lisa

#4 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 AM

I have been using Enki since the beginning, about 4 years ago....WOW I cannot believe its been 4 years.  We are doing Enki Grade 3 next year and I cannot wait.  I love Grade 1.  You get everything you need to teach Grade 1 including some How-to's DVDs.  It's best to get the Enki Grade Guides if you want to learn how to implement Enki, especially the Enki Foundation Guides, would be helpful, too.  Just buying the Math stories isn't going to help you, if you want to get a feel for Enki.

Beth spent many years writing the Grade 1 Fairy Tales.  It was her passion and, I think, her Master's work for writing Fairy Tales.  Yes, you can find Fairy Tales anywhere, but finding them written specifically for the Grade 1 child going on a journey to self, is priceless.  The Grade 1 Nature Stories are also so unique that you cannot find anywhere else.  I was lucky enough to take a course with Beth and we wrote Grade 2 Nature stories, which again, is not available anywhere.  Those will be available soon.  After taking Beth's course I realized how much work she puts into her curriculum, that I now understand why it takes long to put out a Enki curriculum.

Good Luck smile.gif

#5 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 AM

I just wanted to add how good the stories were written.  The stories have such a rich language written that I have not found yet anywhere else.  Which ok who cares, but he is the clincher----my ds has heard these stories so much with the rich language that he uses this rich language in his summaries and in his everyday life.  He has a better volcabuary of understanding bigger words and concepts that I ever did at his age.

He has a better volcabuary of words than ME, as an adult!

#6 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions.  I'm definitely worried about implementing it all but it sounds like you really need the foundation guides for that.  We already live a very Waldorf-style life, so I hope that will help make things a little easier.

Nicholas' Mom:  How do you feel about the rigors of Enki, I mean academically?  I love the depth but I worry that it isn't enough in math.  I don't know, though.  What has been your experience?  I don't mind story math for grade 1 and I love the idea of keeping story math for a while in the earlier grades but I also want some concrete practice, too.  Also, how does handwork fit in with the curriculum?

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#7 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 AM

We do concrete math everyday in the afternoon when we do our practice work.  We do worksheets, play math games and do math circle time activities.  There is always plenty of math.  I have never done Waldorf, so I cannot compare it.  All I know is, Beth has said in Waldorf schools she has seen the children not "getting math" and not having enough math in Waldorf schools.  Based on this, she has a more rigorous approach to Math.  Again, Enki doesn't have anything that says you have to follow this dogma otherwise you are not doing Enki.  Enki looks different in everyone's home.  Beth helps you implement it in your specific home life.  So, if you are starting with a good routine in your home, you would fit Enki to your situation.

Again, if you go Enki Experience and do a free Pre-purchase consult, Amy can help you with the specifics for your situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page