E-Reading - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am an avid reader and curious to know if your kids read now days in electronic format only?! And if yes, would a Kindle be a good thing to give a kid as a present? In my view the advantage is that it is a READING device , not PLAYING. Am I right?

All the best,

~ Sorilla, always read, lol

#2 of 13 Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 AM

I just got a Kindle 2 off Craigslist.  I am enjoying free content -- there's a lot.  Great for an adult.  It's my bedtime reader now since I know I can't run out.  I just go on Amazon every couple of weeks and download some new free stuff.

(1) You can play games on there ... the ones I downloaded for free aren't ones I would object to.  But then hey I don't object to much.  My kids aren't obsessive and I don't have any reason yet to limit video games except on my laptop.  They would like to flit from web site to web site on my laptop but I don't have any problems with the Wii being overused, for example.

(2) I don't see right away how to keep them from intentionally or unintentionally buying erotica / getting free erotica.

(3) I don't see right away how to keep them from buying a new book at considerable expense any time they feel like it.

(4) Most kid's books don't seem to be in Kindle format.  For example, I tried to download Inkheart to read it myself.  Not available on Kindle.

#3 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post

(2) I don't see right away how to keep them from intentionally or unintentionally buying erotica / getting free erotica.

(3) I don't see right away how to keep them from buying a new book at considerable expense any time they feel like it.

You can simply not link a credit card to it, right? Then they at least can't buy stuff, purposefully or accidentally.

There's a ton of classic content that's available for free. We'll probably get one for DS for this purpose when he's responsible enough to be trusted not to break/lose it.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#4 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I would go and try out several types of 'e-readers'  Kindle, Nook, etc. to see which one is best for the readers eyes. YES they all 'look' different and I've had experience with Kindle and Nook and I can tell you that I get almost immediate eye fatigue from Kindle but I can read for hours and hours with Nook w/no issues.  The problem I have with Kindle is a combo of the ink they use and how the pages turn.  Everyones eyes are different so this is very important.  Some folks are not bothered, some are.

I think the e-reader has come a long way in the past few years and is so much more than just a reading device.  Yes you can use it for reading but the ability is there for much much more.  I love my NookColor and it goes almost everywhere with me.  I know folks who love the Kindle.

There are some new Tables out at Staples you may want to take a look at as well.  Those are $$ but put a new spin on things as well.  This whole market has exploded, its amazing!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 13 Old 05-16-2011, 03:07 PM

I don't know if you can not link a valid payment method.  But there is free erotica content so there you go.

#6 of 13 Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

yes there is... i think for all types of e-readersuhoh3.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post

I don't know if you can not link a valid payment method.  But there is free erotica content so there you go.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM

ebook only? of course not. We all read ebooks here, but not exclusively. There is a lot of great stuff not available on ebook and I refuse to limit my access to information and entertainment. 

My daughter isn't interested in a kindle, I do own one and have had it for a couple years. I'd only buy one for a kid if I prepared to pay for the ebooks. 

#8 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

You can simply not link a credit card to it, right? Then they at least can't buy stuff, purposefully or accidentally.

There's a ton of classic content that's available for free. We'll probably get one for DS for this purpose when he's responsible enough to be trusted not to break/lose it.

no, you need to activate it to your Amazon account if it's a kindle. Even free books bought from Amazon show up as transactions just with no charge.

#9 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 PM

My soon-to-be-10 year old (tomorrow!  Where did THAT decade go?) is getting a kindle for her bday from my parents.  I'm not really super concerned about the erotica bit, as all the records of what gets downloaded will be available to me.  I wouldn't be ok with getting her one if I didn't trust her to a-not dl anything inappropriate, and b-not dl anything she can't afford.  She is really responsible about this type of stuff. 

If she wasn't, I might have a conversation about honesty, accountability and what would happen if there were a concerning amount of "accidental" downloads. 

My mom and I share a kindle account.  I read on my droid or my netbook and she has an actual kindle.  When I go online (her account, I pay her back or half of books we both read, etc.) she usually txts me within 10 minutes "just checking, did you just order a book?" because she gets the email confirming it.  

anyway, hth.  My daughter wasn't super interested in the ereaders for a long time because "I like paper REAL books!" and "kindles might put libraries out of business!!!"  lol, but she's over that now. 

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#10 of 13 Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

no, you need to activate it to your Amazon account if it's a kindle. Even free books bought from Amazon show up as transactions just with no charge.

I would never buy an ereader that let anyone with physical access order basically whatever they wanted with no verification at time of purchase. Especially not for a kid.

That said, there's plenty of information out there about using a kindle without a credit card. It's simply that one-click ordering won't work without a source of funding available.

#11 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

For me, that really depends on the situation and the kid.  My son, I'm not ready for him to have one.  He leans a little more towards doing what he wants and then reaping the consequences rather than dealing with limitations we set. My daughter though, has shown an inordinate amount of responsibility with technology;with her phone, the computer, and facebook.  And it's been obvious to me that it's not simply following the rules so the stuff doesn't get taken away, she really gets WHY the rules are there and has internalized them for herself.  

I could pretty much guarantee that she will not be loading anything inapropriate.  I can pretty much guarantee that she won't load anything, period, without letting me know first, even if she has a gift card or money alloted for it.  That's just how she works.  If a kid wasn't handling other responsibilities in a similar vein, then maybe I would take a different view. 

hth

I would never buy an ereader that let anyone with physical access order basically whatever they wanted with no verification at time of purchase. Especially not for a kid.

That said, there's plenty of information out there about using a kindle without a credit card. It's simply that one-click ordering won't work without a source of funding available.

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#12 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:

For me, that really depends on the situation and the kid.  My son, I'm not ready for him to have one.  He leans a little more towards doing what he wants and then reaping the consequences rather than dealing with limitations we set. My daughter though, has shown an inordinate amount of responsibility with technology;with her phone, the computer, and facebook.  And it's been obvious to me that it's not simply following the rules so the stuff doesn't get taken away, she really gets WHY the rules are there and has internalized them for herself.  

I could pretty much guarantee that she will not be loading anything inapropriate.  I can pretty much guarantee that she won't load anything, period, without letting me know first, even if she has a gift card or money alloted for it.  That's just how she works.  If a kid wasn't handling other responsibilities in a similar vein, then maybe I would take a different view. 

hth

It's not about whether I trust the kid or not. I feel the same way about something I buy for my own use. What if it gets lost or stolen? If my credit card can be charged, I want better control over it, even if it means slightly more hassle when I use it myself.

#13 of 13 Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 AM

I can see that.  I don't know if you can NOT link a card to it.  I personally usually go to amazon.com to search and load books, and I have to sign in for that.  But I see what you mean.  

I do believe Amazon has pretty darn good customer service and would handle that well.  It's not like if the kindle got stolen they would be able to access your cc itself, you would just report it stolen, get the books refunded after the stolen date, and deregister. 

Maybe a good way to handle it is link it to a very low limit cc so you don't have to worry about large amounts to deal with in the case that ever happened...hm. 

It seems quite futile to steal a kindle and start loading books though, it could be nipped in the bud real fast. 

Incidentally, my daughter loves her bday gift, she has two new books on it now and wants to  get or make a book style cover to protect it. :-)

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page