K/1st - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure there are a million threads about this, but I can't find one right now... anyway...  I'm pregnant and due in Dec.  so we're going to "school" through the summer and take a nice long christmas break...  Nic will probably be going to public school for 3rd grade (he's 6)  ...  So far I haven't really followed any curriculum.  We dabbled in classical conversations and I'm still debating about that for next year...  

I'm trying to plan out our weeks, since everything pretty much ends this week (coop, gym program, etc.).  We'll still probably get together once a week with some friends, but thats pretty much all we'll be doing this summer (gas prices are going to pretty much cancel most of everything else out since very little is local).

Anyway... I'm great at the art/music/science type planning - and we're going to go back and re-do letter of the week for my 4 year old (he wants to learn to write, so i got handwriting without tears that we'll start to  loosely  go along with that) ...  but I'm kind of clueless for reading and math.  How focused would you get?  We're so not workbook people, but I feel like we're missing something (and the threat of future public school is making me a little nervous - my boys are very bright and I'm sure they'll get there - in their own time... )  I would really love a book with reading/math activities we could work our way through...something fun and hands on.  Does something like that exist for reading and math?  Or do you have to go through workbooks for that kind of thing?

Anyway, if you made it through all that...thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM

I haven't tried it yet (ordered & on the way!), but the reviews look positive for the Math Arts book by MaryAnn Kohl. I'm not sure about hands-on reading resources, but my kiddos have really enjoyed drawing letters/phonetic elements in salt and making clay letters/phonetic elements and corresponding objects. Another fun activity around here is making newspapers. (AND LOL - my son just walked in and said to me, "Hey Mama look, I made some newspapers...)      

Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

i have that math arts book and while i love maryann kohl in general, my kids didnt like any of the activities i tried.  its been a while tho...  maybe ill look through it again...thx

User Tag List