High school math credit question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son will be in 7th grade in the fall.  He has been using Math U See and is slightly ahead I guess.  He will be doing Pre-Algebra in the fall.  If he then does Algebra 1 in 8th grade, can I count that as a high school credit?  And how do I do that?  Do I just put on his transcripts that he took Algebra 1 in 9th grade even though he didn't or do I somehow show that it was done in 8th grade but we are counting it towards one of his three math credits?  He's not a kid who loves math but we make it a priority so he has been moving steadily along and does well.  So while he's ahead, he by no means wants to tangle with trigonometry in high school in order to get 3 years of math in.

Or if he did Algebra 1 in 8th grade, could he do Algebra 2, Geometry, and then a consumer math course in high school to get his three credits?

Thanks for any guidance!

Kellie

#2 of 11 Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Um, it's your homeschool. You can do what you want.

My 12yo has just finished 9th grade math. My 14yo has just completed four 10th grade courses and one 11th grade one. I document it all as I see fit. My own approach is to do what the schools here would do: to document all high-school level study on a course by course basis, listing the dates each was completed, regardless of the student's age.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 11 Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Miranda.  I like the idea of just docuementing the date that he finishes any high school level course.  That won't look strange to colleges, though, to have dates all over the place making it look like it took 5 or 6 years to complete high school? 

I just don't want to mess anything up here.  I think I will keep plowing forward and moving at his pace now but still the record keeping makes me nervous.

Kellie

#4 of 11 Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Yes Its 'your school' so just document as you go.  My son is 10 and will be starting algebra in the next couple weeks.  My kiddo loves math so getting our FOUR credits wont be an issue LOL, can you say he is counting the classes until differential equations.  Anyways when the time comes he may want to take more math since at the university he will most likely need to take some type of upper level math course and if he 'stops' with math at 14 or 15 then trying to start again at 18 or 19 could be difficult.  Plus some of the high school science courses and university science courses require math. (physics and chem).

I think university is getting more comfortable with homeschoolers and alternative education students so doing classes in a non-traditional order shouldn't be an issue.

No it wont look like HS took 5-6 years because his birthdate will be on the application and he will still be 18 when he applies, the admissions office *should* be able to do that math and figure out your kiddo started his HS credits at 12 or whatever.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 11 Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 AM

You may also want to look at the requirements of the colleges near you.  Some colleges are requiring 4 years of high school math.

#6 of 11 Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 PM

If it is high school level work it can go on the high school transcript regardless of the age at which it was completed. It is not at all uncommon for students to complete algebra 1 in 8th grade so that will be no problem that the dates are earlier. I would keep records and keep your options open. If your student is aiming to get into more competitive schools or to get scholarships then you would really want to look at more math. Consumer math doesn't carry much weight on the transcript. Statistics is an option that some students enjoy or precalc would also be an option. Many colleges are looking for four years of math and some states actually require it.

#7 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 AM

In the public schools (in Texas anyway) Algebra 1 is considered a credit for high school, but you do not list it as 9th grade. I think on my children's transcripts it just does not list a term. But, you still have to have the 3 credits in high school. Now they have switched it to 4 credits total. So, regardless, everyone pretty much needs through preCalc, unless they were on a remedial track or special education track. I think some schools offer statistics which can be taken instead of precal. If you pull up your local high school's website, chances are, you can find a course catalog that will list the classes they offer and what they require to graduate if you want to take that route.

#8 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 AM

I'm a math tutor and educational advisor.  I would caution you about a few things:  some states require a year of math beyond Algebra II, particularly if minimum test scores aren't met (part of No Child Left Behind).  As Roar mentioned, Consumer Math isn't impressive to colleges, Statistics is a better option that he'll likely need in college anyway.  I wouldn't advise finishing one's math credits early, only to take a break from math, then resume it in college.  Passing college placement tests could be difficult in such a situation.

Many disciplines require math--there's even business calculus.  I wouldn't dismiss it as a subject he'd have to "tangle with."  If he's doing pre-algebra in 7th grade and algebra in 8th, it sounds like he's doing well.  Have you considered slowing the pace down and ensuring that he has a firm foundation in math before proceeding to the next level?  There's no reason to race through it.  

#9 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 AM

You really should check the guidelines for your state.  I have public school student who took Algebra I and I in middle school.  Even though he will complete Calculus in 11th grade, his school is attempting to require him to take a math class his senior year (he took Calculus outside of school).  They are claiming the middle school credits don't count toward high school graduation requirements.  

#10 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMomma View Post

You really should check the guidelines for your state.  I have public school student who took Algebra I and I in middle school.  Even though he will complete Calculus in 11th grade, his school is attempting to require him to take a math class his senior year (he took Calculus outside of school).  They are claiming the middle school credits don't count toward high school graduation requirements.  

Isn't that a school / public school policy issue, though?  Does the state set these parameters for all education within its geographic boundaries, or only for the schools it runs, meaning public schools? Where I live the government sets the rules for those who want to achieve a governmental graduation diploma i.e. those in public or charter-type schools. If you are studying at a private school or a learning through homeschooling and don't want the diploma the government issues, you can play by different rules and those will be respected by prospective employers and colleges provided they are reasonable. 

I do agree with your suggestion about slowing down and building a firmer foundation rather than finishing with math in the 10th grade year or whatever. My own kids did pre-algebra at about age 9 or 10 and we've spent 2-3 years enriching, reviewing and extending that learning gradually into other areas before really diving into high school courses. The extra maturity and the broader foundation really helped.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#11 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post

If it is high school level work it can go on the high school transcript regardless of the age at which it was completed ... If your student is aiming to get into more competitive schools or to get scholarships then you would really want to look at more math. Consumer math doesn't carry much weight on the transcript. Statistics is an option that some students enjoy or precalc would also be an option. Many colleges are looking for four years of math and some states actually require it.

Totally agree here. But why worry about that in 7th Grade?  His notion of what he wants to do will probably change half a dozen times by the end of high school.  I say keep your records, but don't focus on them.  Focus on your child's interests and see where they take you. 

Warm regards,

Lucie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page