similar to khan academy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-01-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you know about khan academy and think it is a fabulous concept...... do you know of a similar site but for preschool through early elementary? I envision (you tube videos) of short lessons taught by professional teachers or US professional hs parents. Could be as simple as someone reading a popular book where the kids could flow along in their own book or see the pages on the video. Or lessons on site words, basic math.... anything.

#2 of 7 Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 PM

yeah, I would also like to find something like this for  elementary  grades. From what I have seen on khan academy it is geared to older kids. We only watched 2 but my kids lost interest fairly quickly.

btw, I love khan academy and for my older kids it is great!

#3 of 7 Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What about:

www.starfall.com

www.time4learning.com

www.cosmeo.com

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We really like brainpop.com and brainpopjr.com  :)  Videos on brainpop are a cartoon of a guy and a robot explaining whatever subject you click on.  Really fun and safe for my kids to browse through!

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#5 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In researching the above mentioned brainpopjr I discovered this list of top 100 websites

http://www.homeschool.com/articles/Top100-2010/default.asp?Hover_NoThankYou=true

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 7 Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Great! I'll check them out! I hope I do find something for dd1 (almost 7). We are struggling with formal sit down at the table learning and I hope to computer can help her out.

#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM

There's more to Khan than just the videos. (I say this because I didn't realize it at first!) My kids actually usually work on the exercises and only watch the videos if they have trouble. This works particularly well because they're choosing to get help with something, rather than just being told, "You need to know this. You'll understand why later."

Also, if you need to turn in records in your state, you can register your child, then register yourself as his/her coach and get all sorts of graphics on what your child has been studying and how long. Plus, if your child is logged in, he/she can earn "badges" which can be a real motivator, depending on your kid's personality.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page