Novels about the East Coast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're about to go on a road trip up the East Coast for the next few months and I wondered if anyone has book recommendations for stories that take place in locations along our route?  I remember loving Misty of Chincoteague when I was a kid, but we're not really giong near there.  But that's the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

My daughter is six.  We've read the American Girl books about Felicity (colonial Williamsburg) already.  We're reading Harry Potter book 2 now which is not relevant except for an example of the level of reading we're doing.

We're starting in Florida, hitting Athens GA, Asheville area of NC, Beckley WV, Cincinnati and Columbus OH, several New York spots, and we think we're going all the way to Maine but the rest of the route is kind of foggy.  We'll be stopping lots of places in between, but that gives a general idea.

So, suggestions?

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/list/15/books-music-and-other-media may get you more responses to this question, but I do have a few suggestions. 

New York City:

"The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler," by EL Konigsburg. 

"The Saturdays," by Elizabeth Enright.  (1st of a four part series)

"All-of-a-Kind Family," by Sydney Taylor.  (1st of a five part series)

"Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing," by Judy Blum. (1st of a five part series)

"The Cricket in Times Square," by George Selden.

Another Williamsburg book is "Meg and the Mystery in Wiliamsburg," by Holly Beth Walker.  This is from a series of mysteries that is out of print, but you can get them used online or your public library may be able to get them through interlibrary loan for you.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, but I might come up with some for the other locations later.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:36 AM

If you will make it up to the rocky shores of Maine, you might like 'Blueberries for Sal' and 'One Morning in Maine' by Robert McCloskey.  On that note, 'Make Way for Ducklings' by the same author takes place in Boston.  All three are excellent classics that are (long) read-aloud books but also long/difficult enough to entertain an advancing reader.  Have a great trip!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, rutabega--I posted in the other forum and I'll check out your list.  5terre, we've read all those but thank you for the reminder as we love his books and those would be great to read again!  We might be stopping in Boston, too!  And my 18 month old might read along with us on these ones.

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 PM

I always liked "Keep the Light Burning, Abby" when I was a kid.  It's based on a true story about a girl who has to keep the lights in a lighthouse burning, because a surprise storm comes up while her father (the lighthouse keeper) is away.  

I'll try to think of some others...

When you go from Ohio to Maine, will you be taking Route 80 or 90 to 95?  The first will bring you through Pennsylvania, and the second through upstate New York.  Seneca Falls is right off of 90, and there are lots of books about that.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 06-12-2011, 11:38 AM

The first thing I thought of with your list was "Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry" (the South)

As someone who grew up in New York my favorite New York books were: The All-of-a Kind series and the Melendy Quartet.

If she likes magical things the Wrinkle in Time series is based in Connecticut. But they're pretty complex.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .

User Tag List