Alternatives to phonics? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 33 Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At our house we love Starfall.com and Click n Read. My son is 4 and reading on a 1-2 grade level, I think.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 AM

I've used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons for all my kids.  They've all been fantastic readers.  Some people think it's boring, but I think it's mainly because they are trying to follow the script in the book.  I don't follow the script, nor do I do all the activities suggested.  Once my kids learn to blend sounds, the lesson involves them reading me the sounds, then the words, then the story.  I try to keep it light-hearted and fun.  I suggest having a reward to be earned at the end of the book.  It's a huge accomplishment and a reward in sight can help keep them going if their interest starts to stall out.  I did find that my kids needed more phonics instruction after the 100 lessons book, in order to learn spelling.  All About Spelling has been awesome for that, and can itself be used to learn how to read.  My kids think it's a lot of fun.  There's also an All About Reading program, but I haven't used that.

homeschool.gif    Homeschooling Mama of 6 wonderful kids (14, 12, 10, 9, 7, and 5)

Homeschool Tracker - keeps me sane smile.gif

My favorites:  Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, Saxon Math, Easy Grammar, Sonlight, Writing with Skill

#33 of 33 Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 PM

Phonics is not only important for teaching reading but also spelling and vocabulary. It's never too late to get started.

Phonetic Typing

English Language Learning

Fun Easy and FREE!

http://phonetictyping.com

http://facebook.com/phonetictyping

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page