LA curriculum that includes research papers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My older son will be in 5th grade this fall.  His weakest area is writing, and since he has said he wants to go to junior high the following year, I want to make sure we keep his writing skills up.  One of the things they introduce this year in 5th grade is a research paper.  I can find lots of language arts curriculums that focus on creative writing, but none on research writing - table of contents, footnotes, bibliography, etc.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've just been looking at one called "Teaching the research paper" from the Analytical Grammar company:  http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/teaching-the-essay

My son will be "in grade 8" next fall.  He's a weak writer, always has been, so we've just focused on other things to let his development catch up and I think he's finally reached a point where we can start to work on writing skills without it being a waste of time.  ;)  We're first going to work the the IEW level B course, which is more basic; then we might very well do this "Teaching the essay" then "teaching the research paper" courses (which are less than a full year).  

I wouldn't expect that a 5th grade level research paper would be too too complex anyway... Usually they'd be looking at a 5-paragraph report, I'd expect, so a "Table of contents" would be kind of useless.  I don't think we did any footnotes or bibliography until I was in junior high when I was a kid in school.  In any case, it'd be pretty basic stuff at this level, a 5th grade research paper won't be a 10-page analytical report.  It would be more about the basic idea of collecting information from several different sources and organizing it into one report.  

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact

User Tag List