overwhelmed by cirriculum choices, kind of know what I'm looking for... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for a curriculum and know what I want it modeled after, but not sure how to find what I'm looking for. Was hoping someone on here would know! smile.gif

I am looking for a look-alike curriculum to Switched on School House, but want one that is non-christian/religous. SSH is a computer based program where the child does his/her work on the computer and results of tests etc are emailed to the parent, they can't move ahead until they've passed things w a certain % or higher and it uses outside resources, but is very specific and easy for the child to follow. My ds will be a 5th grader and works best this way. Just think there must be a curriculum out there similar to this w out the christian overtones, but how do I find what I'm looking for? I know we're all in the same boat w curriculums, but thought someone here might be familiar w SSH and another one that's similar. Thanks for any guidance!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM

I haven't used it myself, and it's only math, but Teaching Textbooks seems to operate a bit like this.

Also, Time for Learning is computer based, but again, I don't have personal experience with it.

#3 of 5 Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Teaching Textbooks is great if you just want a math program or piecing it together.

If you want a whole program have you looked at K12? I've never used it so not sure how close it is to SOSH but I know it's popular, secular, and distance learning.

Good luck

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#4 of 5 Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! This at least gives me some leads. I am def looking for a whole curriculum, not piecing it together, at least at this point, may change my mind as I get further into this.  Will look into the suggestions you both made!!

#5 of 5 Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 PM

I used connections academy which is a online school thats international. Its a great set up and you have tons of support. I am a lazy school mom and it worked very well. The only draw back was it took at least 6 hours  a day to finish his work. However there were some students in his class that completed the work in fewer hours. I think it would depend on how your child learns. Best of luck!

The best way to predict your future is to create it.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page