Ga intent to homeschool question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ds "would" start kindy this fall, wont be 6 til Jan 2012 though.  Since in ga age of attendance is 6 I don't have to file intent to homeschool until the year he would start school at age 6, so Fall 2012....right?  Or do I file this year since he will turn 6.  So confused...

Single mom to 2 boys
#2 of 2 Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, the law says they have to be in school or home schooled on the 6th birthday.  But my county bounced my DOI on my son when I included him with his older sister in our Sept-August declared school year the year he was turning 6 (in January) because "he wasn't 6".  She said to file it the year he was 6 on Sept 1.

I filed for first child, DD, the year she was turning 6 (Sept-August school year, October birthday, declared age at filing the DOI "5") and it didn't bounce.

It doesn't really matter.  I think most people wait until the September that their kids are 6.  I would do it again on the Sept they were 5, if I had a third, just to let THEM bounce it.  I don't want to be accused of not doing what I am supposed to be doing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page