unregistered homeschooling families? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

I have decided that the testing has one benefit. . . that my kids get used to a "standardized" test because they will likely encounter them at some point.  I like that they get used to them in their own home, in a low stress environment, given by a mother that doesn't care what they score.  

Amy

Yes, we just completed an assessment test.  I almost didn't do one this year, not really worrying about it, but DD1 was eager for a "real math test".  It had never occurred to me back when I started the thread that testing could be administered by the parent.  

So, ultimately I decided that would be the least intrusive.  

Yes, the trick was the format, getting her used to it, to multiple choice, etc.  The prompts often stated "Do you understand what to do?" and I took this quite liberally.  I helped her understand what was being asked, and while I didn't tell her the answers, I made sure she read over every option, and she caught herself many times in a hasty response.  The test seemed like an old one, and it seemed rather too easy for 2nd grade, but like you, I didn't get caught up in it.  All in all it was a positive experience, a good first introduction to school formats.  

We used the CAT5 Survey from the Family Learning Organization, what have you used and liked?  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#32 of 34 Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 PM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

We used the CAT5 Survey from the Family Learning Organization, what have you used and liked?  

This last year I used the CAT survey from Seton for my oldest.  I used the PASS test from Hewitt Homeschooling Resources for my middle child.  The PASS doesn't have a time limit.  It also had a placement test for each subtest.  This was great because she was able to take a test that was challenging but not too hard.  It also helped her get used to the types of questions that would be asked.  She has test anxiety (perhaps from her brief public school experience?) and we are working on helping her through that.  Not having a timer was particularly beneficial for her.  With my oldest, I set the timer and administered it as closely to a "classroom" administered test as possible.  She was grade 7 last year so the SAT isn't too far away.  I want her used to a time limit.  The CAT was definitely WAY too easy for her.  Made me feel good, but it would have been nice to identify any weak areas. In that way the PASS was better.  Since she took the placement test first, the results showed her areas of strength and weakness.  It also showed her score compared to public school students and compared to homeschool students.  That was just interesting to me.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#33 of 34 Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)

Timed test?  It was supposed to be timed?  :p  We did ours our 5 days!  (Shhhhh!!!!!)

I like the idea of a test that accommodates different levels.  Maybe next year.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#34 of 34 Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 PM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Timed test?  It was supposed to be timed?  :p  We did ours our 5 days!  (Shhhhh!!!!!)

I like the idea of a test that accommodates different levels.  Maybe next year.  

​Ha!  Well, maybe the younger kids weren't supposed to be timed.  :-)

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page