I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that homeschooling just doesn't suit my kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Am a bit sad about this really

Basically, they are both very social kids who do not appreciate being taught in a 1-1 setting. I don't think its what I'm teaching, or even really how I'm teaching. I think they just both love being around other kids, and love bouncing ideas off them.

Its not a disaster or anything, they are learning. They are just not loving learning, mainly owing to the lack of other kids, and that really makes me sad.

There are a bunch of reasons why school would actually be a good idea, mainly financial, but tbh if I thought it was really working amazingly well I'd try to find a way to stick it out. 

I really am not prepared to homeschool my kids when I feel deep down it is not what would make them most happy. Ds who has tried school briefly is keen. dd1 will love it, I think.

Just feeling a bit down about it all, tbh. If I continued to hs at this point I think it would be quite a selfish decision, more about me than them. Just feels like a sad thing.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Hugs to youhug2.gif

Kudos to you too!  Looking at what is best for your family rather than just what you really want to work is a sign of a good mom. 

I hope your kids both love school.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 07-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had one that would never "work" for me. He just won't. The other took direction, went down a checklist of skills and worked great. Both went back to public school for very different and individual reasons. I think honoring a child's personality is a good parent trait. No matter what our parent "ideal" might have been.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hug2.gif

It's Ok.  Put them in school if you think they will be happier.  If school does not work out or ceases to work, you can HS again.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

hug2.gif

It's Ok.  Put them in school if you think they will be happier.  If school does not work out or ceases to work, you can HS again.

Exactly. None of this is written in stone.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ita! we looked into public school for this year. decided against it because something came up, but the school itself actually looked like a wonderful, happy place. our dd has special needs and the special ed teachers were great. i know not every ps is like that, but not every homeschool situation is perfect, either. you just have to do what is best for your kiddos.

that said, have you looked into homeschool groups or extra classes?

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks guys. TBH I think I'd have to go EVERYTHING with them in extra classes. They do a lot of these already but it would just becoming (is already, really) prohibitively expensive. Also, it does mean they don't have a stable community of kids learning with them. We don't have any co ops nearby, or even enough kids for me to start a co op.

I've been planning to hs since before my kids were born. It feels really hard. I also really do feel, deep down, that while they will not actually want to go, and will really miss their HS friends (of course we will keep in touch but sheer geographical distance is going to make this hard), but that once they are there, they will love it and thrive.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 

User Tag List