7th Grade (and 4th) possibilities...Monarch, SOS, Sonlight...Pros and cons? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New to this forum... :)

We have recently decided to homeschool our dc2 who is entering 4th grade. We are undecided as to our 7th grader. So I am trying to research some options.  I really like the Sonlight curriculum for dc2, that is what I am leaning towards.  Middle school seems like a different ballgame though.  I am open to other options as well but wondered if you guys had any thoughts about these. 

Some background on us...

*We'd like something to give a pretty solid world view, however being a religious (Christian) curriculum is fine.

*I am a teacher (leaving my job) and prefer a curriculum that lays out my targets clearly and does not require gobs of individual planning, but will allow me to have creative freedom as well.

*I may be working part time (2 days each week) and dh is not a teacher, so something that I can adjust on those days would be good.

*I would prefer not to piece together parts of various curriculum.

*I may be able to utilize curriculum from their current schools, however not sure I want to.

*Cost is a big factor. I am leaving my ft (though not well paying) job.  We are severely cutting back bills but I am not wanting to try something and have to immediately go back to the drawing board and pay more $.

Can't think of what other information to give. I am enjoying reading through previous threads to see what has worked, get ideas of joys and challenges, and educate myself. I homeschooled for preschool but this seems bigger and scarier!

Thank you for any thoughts, ideas, and information!!!

#2 of 5 Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Well- take this for what it is worth- since we are starting kindergarten here- but I wanted to do Sonlight too- but holy smokes is it expensive!  I now am leaning much more on My Fathers World.  Still a solid Christian ciriculum- just not as much of what I would consider fluff. 

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 5 Old 07-16-2011, 09:27 AM

We've used Sonlight and I feel that it would fit most of your criteria. You shouldn't have to adjust anything for your dh if he just looks at the schedule in the instructor guide.

It is a literature based curriculum so there is a lot of reading. Sonlight does not provide hands-on activities. You can find ideas for activities or supplements on their forums or the internet. Some people choose to combine multiple aged children in the same core. There are tips for that on their site and on their forum. 

http://www.sonlight.com/multiplekids.html

http://www.sonlight.com/multiple-ages.html

It is expensive if you buy a complete package or packages  but everything is available for purchase individually as well. I don't think that is as clear in their latest print catalog but you can check for individual items on their site. You can also find it used. Some people buy the IG and get books from the library. Some people just use the catalog as a book list and don't get the IG at all.

We've used:

Intro to World History, part 1 (core b) and 2 (core c) - we enjoyed part 2 a lot.

Intro to American History Part 1 (core d)- kind of a dud for us so we decided not to do part 2 right away but we will revisit American History later this year.

Eastern Hemisphere (core f)- we are currently using this and it has been going okay.

I don't think any of these would be too childish for an older child to go along with too if you decide to use one core for both of your children.

We did not choose to use Sonlight's Bible, language arts or math offerings.

We are secular homeschoolers so no need for Bible study. We use Math U See and Spectrum Language Arts & Writing workbooks.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#4 of 5 Old 07-17-2011, 04:00 PM

abeka?  calvert?  unit study approach like amanda bennett's unit studies?  there is SO much to pick from out there!

#5 of 5 Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the rePlies! We've decided that core reading for dc2 will be reading street by Scott Foresman and Sadlier-oxford is a possibility for math. I'll build off the reading for social studies and science. Dc1 has decided to try it also. I haven't notified her school yet but am now able to look more seriously as well. She felt she is not pushed in school enough and feels this will let her work ahead as needed. I am going to relook at Sonlight and the others as well. I'm excited!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page