Ultimate Spelling Power--a scam? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-15-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was looking for a simple spelling software for DD, and thought that Ulimate Spelling looked decent. http://www.ultimatespelling.com/ Mainly I liked their screenshots--that the words were integrated in different ways, with a visual, synonym map and definition easily accessible on the same page.

I couldn't find any unbiased reviews, but thought I'd try it, as they offer a refund.

The moment I saw the program, I knew the quality just wasn't good. Simple things, like no 'stop' button to stop the audio. The program is not child-user friendly. And it is not in any way better than spellingcity.com, which is free and easier to use.

When I was placing the order, a tiny red warning flag for me was that the site is designed as an infomercial site. So I WAS suspicious. But then I thought, it is SPELLING, for goodness sake. They can't be duping people using SPELLING! lol.gif Right? Well, I'm not sure.

I requested the refund via email, and got a response that maybe I would like their extended warranty.

I replied that no, I wanted the refund. And got a response that maybe they could do something else for me?

I replied that no, I wanted the refund. I was told that I could complete a form, and that I should use my RBS number as my user id number. Well, after checking all my correspondence with them, I don't have either an RBS number or a user ID number, and not even an order number!

Then I called them. The person on the phone said he wasn't dealing with refunds, only with orders, and couldn't really help me.

Does it look like a scam? How was I supposed to know it was scam (i.e. what did I miss and why I shouldn't have ordered?) Is there anything else that I can do? Anyone used it? Dealt with them?

Thanks,

Scammed and confused

ETA: oh, and when I was installing it, my computer asked me to reconsider as it didn't recognise the publisher. Maybe I should've paid attention to it? I am running my antivirus now.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

I finally received an email saying that I will receive my refund in 4 weeks. I wrote it on my calendar, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll post here to update...in case anyone later finds this thread.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#3 of 4 Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

In the interest of fairness--right after I posted the post above, I received an email that the refund was processed, and that I should see it on my next credit card statement. So this was significantly faster, than originally stated. I will update when I receive the refund. I hope it will go smoothly. So maybe it is not a scam after all, but the company is not easy to deal with, and the program seriously lacks quality.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#4 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM

Dear midnightwriter,

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our software. I'd like to let you know that Ultimate Spelling has been improved greatly since you wrote this post (at this time the 2009 version was the most current). The newly released 2012 version has thousands of improvements based on customer feedback, and we believe it's the most effective spelling software on the market. 

If you would like to try out the new version, please email me: 

marc <at> ereflect <dot> com

Or please have a look at the new version on the website at http://www.ultimatespelling.com 

I will arrange a free copy for you, which will hopefully allow you to being your review up to date.

Sincerely,

Marc

Director - eReflect Software

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page