Help with Kindergarten language arts! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone tell me what language arts should look like for kindergarten? I really don't remember what exactly was taught when I was in Kindergarten and I'm not sure what is being taught in the public schools today, but I want to be sure my child gets what she needs to learn as she starts kindergarten this fall. so, what gets taught as far as grammar, spelling and such?

#2 of 4 Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In my state (and in most, I imagine), the expectations for kindergarten are pretty minimal.  Kids don't learn about grammar, and don't learn anything about spelling beyond the basic idea that letters represent sounds.  They learn how to correctly print all the letters, and they're encouraged to try to spell words by using knowledge of letter sounds to represent at least the beginning and ending sounds of a word.  They're not expected to really read, just learn to recognize some familiar words and develop some phonemic awareness.  This page has links to all the Vermont grade level expectations for literacy, if you're interested in more detail.

#3 of 4 Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM

We are doing K/1st grade with my DS (5.5)  and we use Explode the Code for Language Arts.  I think it encompasses phonics, handwriting, spelling, and grammar all in one.  It is very light and fun and my DS enjoys it! I don't think there are any real requirements for K, as PP said they are just learning letters, letters make up words, etc.

SAH, homeschooling mama to DS (1/06) and DD (3/07)
#4 of 4 Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM

This totally depends on your child.... a lot of people start things such as reading and writing at this age.

But...a lot of kids just aren't ready for either at Kindy age. (My oldest was not, my youngest is.) That being said, we have had great luck with Explode the Code workbooks and Handwriting Without Tears.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page