Tell Us Your Story.... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 125 Old 04-12-2009, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello to all!! I am Kris, happily married and a mama of 2. I came to know about home schooling after my son was picked on by his kindergarten teacher, and we were told to get him tested for adhd and other learning disabilities. Then my daughter was asked to leave pre-k after falling asleep do to boredom! After a long heated battled with my sons teachers and the school system, I started to question all teachers teaching abilities and started to wonder how many more little boys and some girls out there would be labeled for their excessive energy or odd little habits, like my children had. Or be forced to sit on their left hand and taught to spell with their right, where my kids use both!! After the war was said and done, and we decided to pull our son and daughter and home school. Before leaving the pss (public school system), my hubby and I were called to the big bad principals office, and were informed that the school that had taught 230 kids pre yr had 87 students on some type of medication to “enhance” their learning performances. That our son could be one of many that is succeeding within the pss with a little help of a pill. I told the principal and the teachers that they can choke on their pills and left. While there are some great teachers out there, I have found most of them wont even enroll their own children in the school system they support and help build. Guess that should say it all right there!

Within the first 6 months my son had finished the k curriculum, which we found completely useless, and was ready to learn something more meaningful then what colour was this and that, what gives off light, in and outs, ect and the repetitive spelling of ABC’s and 123's.

Yes while our little boy has the ever so common traits of a adhd child, I still wonder why it could be so damn hard for a teacher to teach a child who shows excitement for what he or she’s about to learn. It doesn’t matter now, we have found a fulfilment in letting our children learn what they want to learn, when they want to learn it, and how, and have formed a great family bond since leaving the pss

We have now given up on fallowing a empty and meaningless curriculum that is filled with junk to pass the yr, and have now started to unschool both our children. While we still have set times for our school work, I can’t make myself or my children start learn something we can’t take to with whole interest or excitement. And what amazes me the most out of our first yr of unschooling is how far behind the pss is, and what the pss isn’t teaching. How many uneducated teaches there is out there, and how many children are passed thought the pss with out help or the building blocks of life. What I mean about building blocks of life, is what life is about, the reality of life, what our children are going to face that they never have taught, or will never teach in the schools, and successfully pump out unsuccessful uneducated children who don’t have the first clue who or what they are and will only have a meaningless un-useful however many yrs of education they will soon come to forget once they leave the pss. I have watched how the education system had changed over the yrs and it’s no longer a education for our children, it’s more less a fallow the leader program where our children lose their own identity, lack a sense of self and grow up way to fast.

As to un-school or home-schooling be a challenge, it can be if you make it that way. For a mother raising her children to be what we think they should be, the reality is that it will never go that way!! The kids will put up a fuss and the odd time a fight, but given time they come around and come to learn what you are teaching. They will want to learn more some days then others, or just keep going on their favourite topic till they are bored, drive you crazy with questions and have days where nothing is taught. And it is our fault, after all we teach them to have a mind of their own!! But all the while they are doing this they are getting a taste of what real life is, and given the fundamental building block of life and how real people function in real relationships in real life.

When my sons kindergarten teacher asked him what we wanted to be when he grew up, his reply: I want to live in Lego Land!! She told him to rethink is choice, that living Lego Land was a dream not a career. I took my son to Lego Land and sent her a picture of my son his future home!

When my daughter was asked to circle what was sour not sweet on a 5 sense sheet, the teacher told her to hurry up and finish, her reply: I am done, nothing taste sour to me. The teacher gave her a big red X on her sheet and sent her home in tears. I sent her a bunch of lemons and a recipe for honey and lemon slushies and asked her if it still tasted sour!
#122 of 125 Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 AM

At first I didn't put too much thought in to how my kids were to be schooled. I knew we couldn't afford private, so public it was. Then, as my daughter approached kindergarten, the women in my playgroup started talking a lot about where their children were going to school their kids. Their kids started getting excited about it as did the mothers.

I didn't share the same enthusiasm with my daughter. It felt like everything was so right with the world because I just spent the last 4.5 years with a very beautiful and cool child. Our lives were so full. Me learning how to do the mom thing and digging on the wow, as far as seeing the light bulbs go on. How incredibly cool to witness. Another year would go by and my two would comprehend so much more. It was a blast to show them new, more complicated things whether it was a physical place or a concept. I loved using the world as a classroom.

One day I was researching on the net and ran across some homeschool sites and started reading and learning all about homeschooling. They are now 10 and 12 and we are still at it.
#123 of 125 Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Greetings.
The only homeschoolers I knew of when M was born were a few that came to story time at the library I worked at during my teen years. I never really gave them a thought, that is until M started K at the local ps.
I got frequent letters telling me that M wasn't learning her letters and I needed to work with her more. That M needed to be more independent and be taught to put on take off her coat, shoes, whatever for that day. She was miserable and finally told me one day that some other kids were picking on her at school because she was too big. M was/is VERY tall for her age, now at 12 she is 5'9 and growing, so even as a 5 yod she stood a good head taller than the other children. M has always been very gentle natured and had no idea of how to deal with people being mean to her, it was a difficult time for her. I tried making appointments at her teachers convenience but got blown off time and again. The final straw was when M came home from school one day and in her backpack was a coloring book called "The Court Appointed Case Worker and You!" or something like that. I flipped through it amazed, angry and deeply confused. The coloring book detailed the story of a little boy who got caught stealing and how social services intervened to help him and his family. What angered me the most was the drawings of the little boys parents glaring down at him while the social worker stood with arm around the boy beaming at him like his best friend. I called the school and they said they pass them out to all the kids. I pulled M out of school the next day and have never regretted it for a second. I only regret I sent her in the first place.
We are now finishing up year 6 and 1/2 of homeschooling and I am as excited about teaching my dc as that first day, if not more so.
FYI:
I kept that "coloring book" from the school and keep it in a folder in the filing cabinet. When we are having a rough day I pull it out give it a look through and it quickly realigns my perspective.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#124 of 125 Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBreeze View Post
The final straw was when M came home from school one day and in her backpack was a coloring book called "The Court Appointed Case Worker and You!" or something like that. I flipped through it amazed, angry and deeply confused. The coloring book detailed the story of a little boy who got caught stealing and how social services intervened to help him and his family. What angered me the most was the drawings of the little boys parents glaring down at him while the social worker stood with arm around the boy beaming at him like his best friend.
Wow--that is so scary. It's always amazing to me to hear the true stories of how the role of parents is undermined...that our govt is better caring for our children than we are. I'm so glad you brought your dc home. :
#125 of 125 Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 PM

I'm new to this board and have really enjoyed reading through the threads and getting some great information about homeschooling! We are all set to begin homeschooling in the fall (well, actually we've been getting our feet wet a bit this summer and it's been going really well!). I have a 5 yr old girl and a 6 yr old boy and I just gave up my job as the Gifted and Talented Teacher at their school (kind of a bummer, it was a really cool job). I've decided to homeschool because I want to give my children one-on-one attention and help them learn at their own pace. I've decided to start out with a classical approach, but with my own take on it. I'm really excited about this new adventure and am very glad to have found this forum!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page