Khan Academy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just wondering if anyone is using this and what their thoughts are...I have a 7 and 10 year old and am always looking for different resources.   Thanks!          thumbsup.gif

#2 of 3 Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

My younger two girls have used it a bit for math. I think the software interface is pretty cool. The videos can be an excellent instructional / review tool for some kids. There's a wonderful self-directedness and self-pacing that can take place using the program. 

On the other hand I think the pedagogy is pretty shallow and mainstream. There's a sequential, symbolic lecture on a virtual blackboard, with auditory explanations. Very much classroom-style. The teaching isn't multi-dimensional, is limited in its appeal to various learning styles, and lacks creativity in my opinion. Unless I had a very mainstream school-style learner I wouldn't want it to be the only, or even the main, form of instruction they got. We find it's great for review, and for a temporary change of pace.

Also, you may find that there's not much that's appropriate for your 7-year-old. There are 125 math topics but only a very small handful of them are below a 7th grade level. My 8-year-old, who is at a 6th grade level, exhausted the stuff at her level pretty quickly.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 3 Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Given that it's a free resource, I think it's great.  My oldest daughter (9) likes to sit and just listen to some of the lectures, esp. the science.  She likes the straight-forward approach.  She does not like games and such-- she just wants information. 

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page