What is your #1 homeschooling concern? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If there is already a thread like this, please direct me to it!

I thought we could all post our TOP concern regarding homeschooling.  Could be to vent or to see if anyone has solutions for you!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#2 of 42 Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

My #1 concern is finding more friends for my girls that they can see on a regular basis in an unstructured way.

No real luck!  I could easily get them into tons of structured activities, but have found that while they make friends quickly there, the friendships do not translate to beyond the activities themselves. 

We will be joining a co-op this fall but it is far.  All of the local ones are very heavily fundamentalist Christian-based, and we do not fit in there. 

#3 of 42 Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My #1 concern is similar to yours!  We do happen to have a small circle of friends for regular old playdates.  All of the homeschoolers in that group though are the same age as my middle child.  However, my oldest is starting to want the constant interaction of people her own age.  She was complaining to me yesterday about the creepy people that come to the hs fieldtrips (I have to agree with her too) and how she wants more friends, and would really like a close friend who also homeschools.  

Actually, she came yesterday to me thinking about returning to ps--except she doesn't want our local school, she wants the "alternative learning experience" school (also ps).  I offered to try to get her in that school--back in January.  Now, of course, there is a wait list a mile long.  I hope that it is a phase (her desire) and that I can find a way to round up some more social opps for her.  Perhaps monthy social gatherings for 10-14 yr olds.  Perhaps without all the parents all the time.  I am going to try to organize this.  I know that the parents will need to meet each other and me; I just don't want the parents to be hovering--doesn't really feel like a social opp this way.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 42 Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 AM

My biggest concern would be keeping up my own motivation.  My kids have plenty of friends, both homeschooled and not.  Pretty much the same friends they'd have if the went to school.  But I go through patches where I'm really motivated and the kids benefit and then I go through times when I'd really like to be doing other things - with and without them.  I need to be more consistent.

#5 of 42 Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post

My biggest concern would be keeping up my own motivation.  My kids have plenty of friends, both homeschooled and not.  Pretty much the same friends they'd have if the went to school.  But I go through patches where I'm really motivated and the kids benefit and then I go through times when I'd really like to be doing other things - with and without them.  I need to be more consistent.

This!  This is exactly my biggest concern. :-)

Kristin, momma to Cade (11/01) and Camden (7/09) . Wife to Jeff and lover of Jesus.
My life in smilies:  treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifvbac.gifdishes.gifwash.gifmodifiedartist.gifsewmachine.gifreading.gifgeek.gifphotosmile2.gif
#6 of 42 Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 AM

My biggest concern is that my dd is a bit too lazy or maybe maybe I am missing some way to help her learn/be motivated that someone who has worked with many different kinds of kids would know.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#7 of 42 Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

THIS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

My #1 concern is similar to yours!  We do happen to have a small circle of friends for regular old playdates.  All of the homeschoolers in that group though are the same age as my middle child.  However, my oldest is starting to want the constant interaction of people her own age.  She was complaining to me yesterday about the creepy people that come to the hs fieldtrips (I have to agree with her too) and how she wants more friends, and would really like a close friend who also homeschools.  

Actually, she came yesterday to me thinking about returning to ps--except she doesn't want our local school, she wants the "alternative learning experience" school (also ps).  I offered to try to get her in that school--back in January.  Now, of course, there is a wait list a mile long.  I hope that it is a phase (her desire) and that I can find a way to round up some more social opps for her.  Perhaps monthy social gatherings for 10-14 yr olds.  Perhaps without all the parents all the time.  I am going to try to organize this.  I know that the parents will need to meet each other and me; I just don't want the parents to be hovering--doesn't really feel like a social opp this way.

Amy

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 42 Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Finding friends for my kids. We are very isolated.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#9 of 42 Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 AM

same here. My biggest concern is creating opportunities for my dd to meet and spend time with other girls her age. We signed up for 6 weeks at various summer camps this year and it has been great. Hopefully that will satisfy her for a while and we can start the school year off to a good start. I fully realize that homeschooling comes with disadvantages as well as advantages, and this whole friend thing is definitely a challenge.

I made an effort to exchange phone numbers with a couple moms on my son's soccer team and a nice family we met at swimming lessons. And we just had a playdate with a girl from her dance class. I need to keep up with this and call people more often. I don't like being responsible for my kids social life!!!

Homeschooling Mama to dd8, ds5, ds3, and ds 8 months chicken3.gif

#10 of 42 Old 07-29-2011, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Personality clashes.  I worry sometimes that my relationship with my kids might get in the way of their desire to homeschool.  The girls are young, 4.5 and 6.5, and fully on board with homeschooling.  We have the usually troubles around the house, fights with me, fights with each other.  (We are unschoolers, so we don't have the table-time struggles others might have.  These are just plain old clashes about everyday things.)  I try really hard every day to not lose my cool when things go awry, to try to set an example on how to deal with tough situations, to be the adult, but I fail at this sometimes.  The girls fight with each other.  I think this can be a valuable lesson, but I know firsthand how stressful this kind of relationship can be.  They are at other times best friends and staunch allies.  

I don't worry about friends anymore, though I used to.  I used to worry about "successful homeschooling".  Sometimes I see blogs about other homeschoolers, what they are doing, and I worry that I'm not doing enough.  Then I look and see that usually this family has kids much older than mine and homeschooling possibly looked much different at the beginning.

OOPS!  That was more than #1!!!  I guess what my concerns are has changed and will change again.  Good luck to all!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#11 of 42 Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Friends and finances.

All the older kids stopped coming to the weekly parkdays last year so ds was the oldest with only one kid close in age.  In addition to the lack of satisfying friendship possibilities, the dynamics of all the kids being younger means the parents keep their kids closer and they have less freedom to go off in the woods and invent games as they had the year before.  There aren't any available kids in the neighborhood, either.  And his "best" friend that we exchanged playdates with for two years lost interest in getting together.  So we are going through a serious dry spell and I'm hoping more older kids will come to the park this year.

Financially, things have been difficult because dh's employment has been intermittent over the years.  It's hard to concentrate and/or spend the time on money making schemes AND homeschooling.  Now that ds is older, he's ready for more in the way of classes that cost $, as well. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#12 of 42 Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

My #1 concern is finding more friends for my girls that they can see on a regular basis in an unstructured way.

No real luck!  I could easily get them into tons of structured activities, but have found that while they make friends quickly there, the friendships do not translate to beyond the activities themselves. 

We will be joining a co-op this fall but it is far.  All of the local ones are very heavily fundamentalist Christian-based, and we do not fit in there. 

This.

I have found it hit and miss and varies from year to year. 

I would also add that knowing when to push and when to take a wait and see approach  around academic and lifestyle issues has been difficult for me to determine

#13 of 42 Old 07-29-2011, 05:50 PM

Social opportunities and keeping up friendships are our biggest concern too -- not just my concern, but hers as well. We've found a few small groups, but teen hs'ers are pretty thin on the ground here.

#14 of 42 Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Money.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#15 of 42 Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

RE: the friends issue-- one thing I want to know (and should probably ask in the school forum), is-- do children who do go to school have a core of good friends?  From everything that I have heard from children (at various schools), working as a teacher myself, and being a child myself who did not go to a neighborhood school (magnet), it seems that:

• Children do not get to interact that much during the day at school other than maybe recess (here that would be 20 min. out of an almost 7 hour day)
  • Children are busy after school with adult-directed activities and/or by themselves
  • Neighborhood (very close) children are always easiest-- proximity counts for a lot (my parents very rarely set up times to see friends-- we counted on the neighborhood kids, so when the close ones moved, we were out of luck)
  • Children tend to watch TV/play video games when hanging out with others so even during times together, they are not "together" (I never allow tech. to be used when they have friends over, but this does happen when they go to other people's homes, much to their dismay.)

One of the things I am going to ATTEMPT is to start a small bookclub, open to any girl (not just hs'd) within a certain age group.  I am going to look at it as a way to bond and talk vs. anything academic.  Just have to see if people are not too busy for it.

RE: money- I hear you.  The classes add up very quickly, and they are (for me) one of the main ways that I can sort of count on the same group of kids to be there, AND they are part of the reason that I think hsing is worthwhile . . .though my friends with kids in PS say that the classes thing is optional no matter what-- you'd pay for some anyway even if they were in school if you do classes generally.  I have a pt job working from home that helps, but it will probably all go to classes (and I do not make that much!).  The only way I am sort of "justifying" hsing from the financial perspective is that we have a few very young children, and daycare would be very expensive.  When they are all of school age .  . .there goes my excuse.

RE: personality clashes, do you think this has to do with the ages of your children?  They are still pretty young-- I am guessing this will get better, esp. since you are us'ing.  I think the main thing is that you are around each other (I am guessing-- we are, anyway) ALL THE TIME.  It is hard to be patient 100% of the time when you are their everything, esp. when they are young.  Extremely demanding!  There is a preK teacher who is just an amazing person-- I want to be her. If all teachers were like her, my kids would be in school!  She has a way with children that is really fascinating.  She has 5 boys of her own, and claims that she was not this way with them.  Maybe it is just a matter of having more support?

#16 of 42 Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think motivation is also my biggest concern. It would probably help if I were a generally more time-centered, organized person... I *like* that, but I can't make myself do it. So we are eclectic/unschoolers, but I really, really like sitting down with them and working on things together. We all benefit from it, but creating structure, habits, and finding motivation for it all long-term is a challenge. greensad.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#17 of 42 Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

RE: the friends issue-- one thing I want to know (and should probably ask in the school forum), is-- do children who do go to school have a core of good friends?  From everything that I have heard from children (at various schools), working as a teacher myself, and being a child myself who did not go to a neighborhood school (magnet), it seems that:

• Children do not get to interact that much during the day at school other than maybe recess (here that would be 20 min. out of an almost 7 hour day)
  • Children are busy after school with adult-directed activities and/or by themselves
  • Neighborhood (very close) children are always easiest-- proximity counts for a lot (my parents very rarely set up times to see friends-- we counted on the neighborhood kids, so when the close ones moved, we were out of luck)
  • Children tend to watch TV/play video games when hanging out with others so even during times together, they are not "together" (I never allow tech. to be used when they have friends over, but this does happen when they go to other people's homes, much to their dismay.)

Yeah, I don't think school would solve the friends issue at all for my ds.  He'd hang with the crowd and get along.  And that fills some need with younger kids but true friends are harder to come by.  And ones with parents willing to facilitate friendships by shuttling them around are even rarer.  I noticed when I was in school how much proximity counted for casual friendships.  I was friends with whoever lived near me or whoever was in my class but we didn't stay in touch when something changed.  It wasn't true friendship, it was being friendly.  And ds is friendly with the kids who come to parkday but he is still missing having a true friend or two.  There might be a larger pool of kids in school or he might meet ones that actually live within walking distance if he went to school but it wouldn't be a magic cure.  It wouldn't be as adult dependent as it is with homeschooling, though.

#18 of 42 Old 07-30-2011, 04:00 PM

I am not currently homeschooling,but when we return to it my biggest concern would be my kids telling me that they regret homeschooling. My ds(at 9) is already telling me he wants to try high school.I suppose I will let him,but it will be a hard thing for me to do.

On the friend issue  I have to say that I have been very disappointed with the *friendships* the kids have had at public school and Montessori.It has been years now,and we have only had 1 child come over one time.One asked me to ask his mom,but she said no.No one ever calls over breaks.If we left the school we would probably never hear from anyone again.Disappointing.Classes did not result in frienships either.We just keep plugging along,but I just wanted to put it out there that going to school does not always result in BFFs.All I ever heard from family was," The kids need to be with other kids all day.' It was pushed more than acedemic concerns!

#19 of 42 Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Being a single parent.   

For now, I live with family so I only work very part time and ds can go with me to work.   But in the future, I'm hoping to get my own house, which will mean a full time job and that means I might not be able to homeschool long term.   

#20 of 42 Old 07-30-2011, 07:57 PM

Academic skills and progress.  I am dealing with LD issues and two very strong willed, very active kids.  It is really hard work to keep DS1 progressing.  Now I am also working on getting DS2 going with the 3Rs; but the two of them just want to make chaos all day. 

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#21 of 42 Old 07-31-2011, 03:10 AM

My biggest concern is over the legality of homeschooling where we live. I am hoping that enrollment through an online accredited school in the US will keep us protected, but that is a matter of interpretation of the law. 

My main academic concern is about choosing the right curricula. There are now so many programs out there that all have things going for them that I wonder whether I am choosing the best option. I sometimes worry that my children will fall behind, but that is not a realistic concern at this point at all.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#22 of 42 Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 AM

My main concern is that 2 of my 3 kids have significant special needs (which is the primary reason we're homeschooling).  I feel like I have to constantly be on top of their learning issues because I don't want to get through the year and realize my child didn't progress any--that's what happened when we sent him to montessori, and it is really hard playing the 'catchup game' with a special needs child who was not given an appropriate education.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#23 of 42 Old 07-31-2011, 06:35 AM

That's what happened with my son too.  He went to Montessori for 3 years.  Nobody ever called or returned calls during breaks.  We've since left the school and the only person who's even gotten their kid together with my son is another kid who also left the school this year.  All of the "best friends" he had no longer wanted to get together.  Sending your kids to school doesn't necessarily mean they'll find their BFF.  His best friends are now kids he met in karate class, and they actually get together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

I am not currently homeschooling,but when we return to it my biggest concern would be my kids telling me that they regret homeschooling. My ds(at 9) is already telling me he wants to try high school.I suppose I will let him,but it will be a hard thing for me to do.

On the friend issue  I have to say that I have been very disappointed with the *friendships* the kids have had at public school and Montessori.It has been years now,and we have only had 1 child come over one time.One asked me to ask his mom,but she said no.No one ever calls over breaks.If we left the school we would probably never hear from anyone again.Disappointing.Classes did not result in frienships either.We just keep plugging along,but I just wanted to put it out there that going to school does not always result in BFFs.All I ever heard from family was," The kids need to be with other kids all day.' It was pushed more than acedemic concerns!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#24 of 42 Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM

I'd like to find a home-school group that has meetups later in the day or on weekends - at least occasionally. All of the groups around here are very strict and only really meet up M-F at around 10 am. That means my husband can't participate, and I'm disabled, so sometimes I'd have to get a ride if I'm not feeling well.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#25 of 42 Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

I'd like to find a home-school group that has meetups later in the day or on weekends - at least occasionally. All of the groups around here are very strict and only really meet up M-F at around 10 am. That means my husband can't participate, and I'm disabled, so sometimes I'd have to get a ride if I'm not feeling well.

Around here, for casual things like parkdays, no one comes at the appointed time.  Everyone is usually an hour late so you could get there two hours late and still see people for an hour.  Also, you can try posting meet ups for different times and see if anyone comes.  It's a drag organizing things when you don't always feel good and might not be able to follow through but you get to pick the times you like.  Everything is done on yahoo groups around here.  If someone doesn't like a particular day/time/place, they just post to see if anyone would like to meet them at a different one though everyone does avoid weekends.  If I decide to go to a museum or park, I'll post the day before and let people know my plans in case they want to join me.  Every now and then someone does...

#26 of 42 Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

Around here, for casual things like parkdays, no one comes at the appointed time.  Everyone is usually an hour late so you could get there two hours late and still see people for an hour.  Also, you can try posting meet ups for different times and see if anyone comes.  It's a drag organizing things when you don't always feel good and might not be able to follow through but you get to pick the times you like.  Everything is done on yahoo groups around here.  If someone doesn't like a particular day/time/place, they just post to see if anyone would like to meet them at a different one though everyone does avoid weekends.  If I decide to go to a museum or park, I'll post the day before and let people know my plans in case they want to join me.  Every now and then someone does...

That sounds like a good idea. Most of the groups around here are organized on Meetup.com. One requires you to come to at least two meetups a month, and they're the ones that won't be flexible with their times. The other main group is for little ones, and they are pretty strict as well. Maybe it would be better to start our own group? Laid back home-schoolers, or some such.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#27 of 42 Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

That sounds like a good idea. Most of the groups around here are organized on Meetup.com. One requires you to come to at least two meetups a month, and they're the ones that won't be flexible with their times. The other main group is for little ones, and they are pretty strict as well. Maybe it would be better to start our own group? Laid back home-schoolers, or some such.

Starting one up is hard to pull off unless you already have a core group of families.  It took me years just to get a weekly parkday going and it still isn't what we hoped for.  I'd get a different family coming each week and they wouldn't come back because ds and I were the only people there.  Or they wouldn't come because my one child wasn't the age of any of their children.  If only they would have all come on the same day...

Have you done a search for yahoo groups?  There's gotta be other laidback homeschoolers around.  Put in your area and nearby ones plus "homeschooling."  Here are a couple Sacramento ones.  The second is just for posting classes, fieldtrips, and parkdays.  I see there are a number of Christian ones or method specific ones, as well.  These two just look like basic ones with big membership. 

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sac_Area_HS_InfoChat/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SAFTI/

#28 of 42 Old 08-03-2011, 12:16 AM

My biggest concern is consistancy, needing to be consistant with getting the schoolwork done.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#29 of 42 Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM

Concerns (in no particular order)

1) getting the kids meeting people outside of the family.. I prefer being at home but both my girls love being around people. Its pretty tiring for me to get them around other people enough to make them happy

2) motivation and consistency- motivating myself consistently enough for them to learn what they need to learn

3) missing something (like a speech or learning disability) that would have been caught in school- my brother is dyslexic and they still didn't catch it until 4th grade and only then did they catch it because the teacher's child also had the same problem. If it wasn't for that teacher then who knows when they would have figured out there was a problem.

4)straining my relationship with my children by making them resentful of how much I expect of them. Im deliberately keeping it really low key so I feel like I have to expect more. Its hard though since it seems like everyone is telling me my children are "behind" for random reasons. Can a 4 yo, a 2 yo and a 5 mo really be behind? Doubt it.

5) keeping all of us actively interested in learning. If my children are like me they will get bored easily unless I keep them involved in something new or a different approach to something.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#30 of 42 Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 AM

For the longest time, I thought my biggest concern was finding a group of friends for my sons who they see on a consistent basis.  I wanted them to have a get-together they look forward to every week.  Now I realize I need that for them and for myself.  I need real-life support--especially since this is more "my" thing than my husband's (he wouldn't mind sending them to the local public school).   I'm holding my breath hoping that since no secular co-ops or groups exist that me and a recent acquaintance can maybe start one.  I've tried in the past and people have been ridiculously flaky or non-communicative.  I hope this time around, it works.

I'm also concerned about making my vision for what I want homeschooling to achieve come to reality by taking little steps everyday.  I want my kids to love learning and so I have to work on my patience and creativity to make it a beautiful experience that they are not reluctant about.  

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page