where are all the HSers located?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry if there's a thread like this already!  But, I thought it'd be interesting to see where y'all are at, and if there are any similar families in our area!

Where are you?

What ages and styles are you using?

Do you co-op?

#2 of 32 Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

1. Lexington, KY

2. DS 4 yo and he's leading his education thus far.  We intend to continue to US, and let him unfold to his greatest potential by facilitating learning through what delights him!

3.  We are working on signing up for some secular co-op classes in the area. 

#3 of 32 Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM

We're in Allenstown, NH.  Our daughter is five and we're pretty much going with the flow! Her almost three year old sister is tagging along learning everything with her. We're in a couple of co-ops but for their age range they're pretty flexible with learning and activities.  Nothing specific. More like educational playdates than anything.

#4 of 32 Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 AM

We are in Northwestern PA.

My dd is 7.5 and we are unschoolers at heart with a classical bent.  Most of what I strew dd's path with are things that are in keeping with classical unschooling (latin, ancient history, grammar) but she has plenty of time and freedom to follow her own interests as well.

No, we've never used a co-op.

flowersforyou.gif

#5 of 32 Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omMommaom View Post

Where are you?

What ages and styles are you using?

Do you co-op?

Eastern Washington State

Ages 11 and 8 (9 in October) --will be grades 6  and 3.  My 5 yr old will do half day kindy.  We are very eclectic, but becoming more structured because the kids want it.  We are very hands-on and will keep this aspect about us as we add the structure.

We don't co-op.  I really don't like them--at least the ones around her.  I feel all bristled when I explore them as options.  I am, however, starting a 'social group' of sorts for tweens/young teens.  I am hoping that it will be a monthly large group gathering that the kids come to for fun.  Just fun.  The parents will hopefully get to know each other well enough that they feel comfortable dropping their child off for the fun--and hopefully everyone will rotate houses for movies/games and the kids will also have skating events, sledding/tubing, whatever we can think of.  And, furthermore, I hope that every child finds another that they really 'hit it off with'.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 32 Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 PM

Kansas
Dd is 11 years old. She has always been homeschooled.

We are relaxed, secular, eclectic, literature-based homeschoolers.

No co-op.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#7 of 32 Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

That's awesome AAK!  I want to come to your tween group.  I'm a little old, but it sounds like fun! 

Sounds like an eclectic bunch so far.  I'm happy to be on this bus! 

Have a beautiful day mommas! <3

#8 of 32 Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 AM

We're in Denver Colorado. Ds is 5, we are part of a small learning co-op, nothing official but the parents take turns putting on 6 week classes. We are also part of a once a week enrichment program for homeschoolers with the school district, this our first year we'll see how that goes. We are Unschooling unabashedly and loving it.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#9 of 32 Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM

We live in New York City.

Ds is 10 and our style is "relaxed, child-led Charlotte Mason".  My two older kids are not homeschooled anymore.

Ds and I are not that fond of co-ops so we don't bother with them.  We prefer to do tons of other types of classes and field trips with the homeschool groups we belong to.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#10 of 32 Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM

southern california

1st grade, and 4th grade with some pre-K type stuff only because she's gonna want to do what the older 2 are doing.

My style is structured, but eclectic. Well, I plan on it being structured.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#11 of 32 Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Phoenix, Arizona

Age 11 (soon)  Unschooling but slowly adding in some structure.

No co-ops but DS is part of an online community that he adores.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#12 of 32 Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 PM

I'll join in!! 

We're in Michigan, in the Tri Cities area.  I have 3 littles: 6, nearly 4, and 1.5 years old.  We do co/op, getting ready to start the Friday co/op classes in mid-September. 

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#13 of 32 Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We are in Western WA.  Two students 10 & 8.  We use a Charlotte Mason-style curriculum and no co-op.homeschool.gif

and then when we get to the ocean
we're gonna take a boat to the end of the world

#14 of 32 Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 AM

Where are you? Central Wisconsin

What ages and styles are you using? I have 6 children ages 13,9,7,5 (those are my official schoolers) then I have 2 boys, 23 months and 3 weeks. We use Sonlight and various other things

Do you co-op? YES!!  We love our co op.

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#15 of 32 Old 08-13-2011, 07:00 AM

We are in St. Louis, MO

2 boys, ages 4 and 5

I am inspired by Charlotte Mason and have recently started using My Father's World as a core for our Science/Bible/History and then round things out with Singapore Math, and various other things

No co-op

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#16 of 32 Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 AM

Des Moines IA
age 7
we are eclectic classical schoolers
no, we don't co-op
#17 of 32 Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM

We are in the north bay (san rafael), california. I have a 13.5 year old and a toddler. This is our first year homeschooling and dd is super excited.

We are using a mix of Oak Meadow for humanities and science, an online algebra course and Japanese. We're also doing Living Poetically, as well as a health and nutrition and fine arts/music curriculum just cobbled together by me. I guess that makes us eclectic. We are pretty structured on a daily basis - dd has ADD and needs a certain kind of structure. She is also very creative so within that structure there's a lot of room for her to play around.

There is not a co-op nearby for her age group, though I wish there were. We are trying to get together a group of kids for fun, like AAK (wish we lived near enough to join yours!).

#18 of 32 Old 08-17-2011, 12:10 AM

We live in the Desert Southwest, USA.

We have participated in at-home preschool co-ops with my oldest son when he was 3 and 4.

We participated in a homeschool co-op with my oldest 2 sons 2 years ago and are preparing to attend

a once-a-week co-op this coming Fall with the 2 oldest again.

We like doing this every once in a while (a few months at a time and then after a year or two break)

because it is fun to get to know new friends and learn things we might not be doing at home.

Most of all, we like to do our own things, as well as travel, so I don't rely heavily on co-ops to "do our homeschool".

We are life learners, with Charlotte Mason leanings.

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#19 of 32 Old 08-17-2011, 09:47 PM

We are in South-Eastern Idaho

I have a 9 year old that is doing k12 this year, a 5 year old that we are doing a little of this a little of that program, and a 3 year old who loves head of the class, and starfall as his "schoolwork"

There are not very many co-ops in the area and the only one that is close enough to really join is too spendy for us right now, ($80 a month, you get one month free if you pay for the whole school year up front.)

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#20 of 32 Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 AM

We're currenty in Syracuse, NY.

Children are 10, 7, 5, and 4. I would describe us as relaxed, classical homeschoolers.

We don't do any co-op classes right now. My schedule as a doula/student midwife makes me a little bit unreliable as far as scheduled things go.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#21 of 32 Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM

we are in the suburbs between Baltimore, MD and D.C (Columbia to be exact). my girls are 51/2 and almost 3.  we are eclectic homeschoolers who love to lapbook and dabble in Classical.  there are a ton of homeschooling groups around here. this year we will probably do a once a month pre-k story time at a local homeschool community center, as well as the all ages Chorus.  other than that, we don't co-op.

#22 of 32 Old 08-18-2011, 08:45 PM

We are in Versailles, Ky right now. Getting ready to move up to Michigan, possibly near Manchester/Clinton area.

Our kids are 9,7,3, and 1 (this coming Sunday.)

We haven't co-oped. I've thought about it, but I'm not sure it's really something we need, aside from the social aspect.

#23 of 32 Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Where are you?   Western Chicago 'burbs

What ages and styles are you using?  7-1/2yo (and 2-1/2yo)... very eclectic, semi-Charlotte Masony

Do you co-op?  YES!  We don't do any of the academic coops, but we are doing two others.  My son will have karate, Lego robotics and a Magic Tree House book discussion at one coop and another book discussion-type thing plus a young leaders (with strong historic content) in another coop.  :D

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#24 of 32 Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 AM

We're about 30min south of DC, in VA. We are Waldorf-inspired hs'ers. And, we're working on setting up a co-op in our area, and attending another co-op about 20min away from us.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#25 of 32 Old 08-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Western Washington here.  I'm currently homeschooling DS1 (2nd) and DD1 (K).  Our style is relaxed classical.  No co-ops here, the one I'm aware of isn't a good fit for my family at all.  If I could find a secular (or at least open-minded) co-op then I would be interested.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#26 of 32 Old 08-19-2011, 08:32 AM

We are in Sacramento, CA.

My boys are 8.5 and 5. They are in a homeschooling charter school that allows anything from unschooling to school-at-home-ing. (Does that make sense?) We lean more to the unschooling side of things, although they do have some book work type stuff they are doing. The charter school pays for all kinds of art supplies and classes, which is why they are in it. They are currently doing swim lessons at an indoor heated pool for the whole school year - not on my dime. I love it.

And no, we don't co op. But we are part of a group that gets together on Tuesday's for park day. Think mom's and babies in their lawn chairs in a crazy circle, with lots of kids playing on the playground and tweens/teens wandering around the park. It's great fun. It's hit and miss right now for us, but our goal is to make it regular again.

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#27 of 32 Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM

Where are you? Columbus, Oh

What ages and styles are you using? 2 & 4 using Montessori, almost 8 years old is using hands-on montessori inspired eclectic

Do you co-op? For 10 weeks in the fall and in the spring, we participate in a co-op one day a week.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#28 of 32 Old 08-19-2011, 11:49 AM

We are in a suburb of Pittsburgh, PA.

Our style is a mix of Waldorf-inspired arts integrated with academics, Charlotte Mason living books, and eventually Classical edu. (but not that yet).  We are religious homeschoolers.

Dd is 5.5 so we'll be starting kindy this year, and we have never done a co-op.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#29 of 32 Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We're in northern Vermont.  I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old.  We're not quite unschoolers, but we're very relaxed.  We have some math workbooks, but we don't use any kind of curriculum.  There aren't any co-ops around here, so we haven't done that.

#30 of 32 Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 AM

We're in Northern CA. We're giving the state K12 school a try this year for our 5 year old.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page