more common? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you think is more common: 

1. a schooled child pulled out to be hsed starting in early elementary

2. a child starting off hsing, then at some point going to school (until graduation)

3. a child being hsed their entire childhood

I'm wondering because if a parent who was interested in hsing, but was on the fence, was told that in general about ?% of hsed kids end up going to school at some point, would they then still pull kids out to hs.

#2 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Where I live homeschooling is more a proactive family / philosophical / lifestyle choice, rather than a reaction to a negative school environment, so we don't get much of #1. 

The commonest situation is #2 here. We have an exceptionally flexible local public high school that works very hard to serve the needs of homeschooled teens on their terms, should they choose some formal schooling. And most of them end up doing so at some point. My ds14 will likely start attending a bit of school next month for the first time ever. He'll probably take one or two courses in class, take part in field trips and electives, and they'll give him credit for much of his out-of-school learning. This sort of approach has been a good mix for my eldest dd over the past three years.

In the local homeschooling community we have found that the school administration and the peer community have been incredibly welcoming and supportive of our kids as they've entered the school system. Even the students who have significant lags in certain academic skills have felt very much appreciated for the skills and perspectives they do have. 

I know only a couple of homeschooled kids who have not eventually made any use of our high school's offerings. We have no college or community college here, so that's not an option. Most teens seem to enjoy availing themselves of some formal education out of home at some point and for us the high school is a great option. Our situation, and our school, are quite unique though.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 01:48 PM

I see mostly 1, but the kids are pulled out at various ages, not just early elementary. 

Ours have never been to school.  Most of the homeschooling parents I meet had their kids in school at one point and seem to think it's unusual that we chose HS from the start.

I don't see kids going into school or back to school eventually as any sort of homeschooling failure.  If someone wants to HS, I don't think the idea that the child may eventually return to school is cause to be discouraged.  It's fine to decide to try it for just one year, and go from there.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#4 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I see mostly #1, but maybe that is because I did that and so people who are having issues with a brick & mortar school will often come to me with questions.  I also see a bit of both other choices. 

If a person was on the fence, I would just remind them that you CAN change your mind.  If you try hs and it doesn't really work for you, you can reenroll the child in school.  Just as a person can withdraw a child from school if that isn't working out.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 PM

I actually think you need a 4 th option - which is:

Kids starts out HSed, by tries school out at some point.  Child may or may not stay in school.

Based on just your choices, I would say they are pretty evenly split. It is not unusual for teens to try school - but it is not unusual for them to  only HS either - I would say it is about 50/50.

#6 of 7 Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 PM

From my small experience in the neighborhoods Ive seen mostly 1 and 2. 1 from children who really didn't mesh with the schools well and their parents pulled them OR since we are a military family Ive seen a lot of people pulling their kids and homeschooling because of a move then keeping them in homeschools. For the most part Ive only ever met (IRL) 1 homeschool family that homeschooled high school. My husband is dead set against me homeschooling our children for high school since he thinks its "important" for them to have a high school experience. Ive met quite a few people that run into the same thing, their spouse is supportive up until high school then insists that the children be sent to school so they can have "the high school experience". Luckily my children are young and we will cross that bridge when we get to it but I don't know a single person who withstood their spouse insisting on their children attending regular high school.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#7 of 7 Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeteaa View Post

I'm wondering because if a parent who was interested in hsing, but was on the fence, was told that in general about ?% of hsed kids end up going to school at some point, would they then still pull kids out to hs.

I forgot to answer this part. I think the opposite would be true: if parents were on the fence about homeschooling and were told that homeschooled kids almost never go to school, they would panic about the 13-year commitment, about teaching pre-calculus and laboratory chemistry, about how their kids will navigate the transition to college without a standard diploma. Viewing homeschooling as "the best choice for now," come what may in the future, is much less scary.

As a parent whose elder kids have attended high school to a greater or lesser extent, I have to say that I don't think attending school negates the benefits of homeschooling in any way. I am thrilled to have kids who learned through passion and inspiration, following their bliss, for all those years, and who reached a point when they decided by their own choice to reach out for what school could offer them on their terms, melding it with their own out-of-school ways of learning. And who went off to school with a deep and abiding knowledge of themselves, a collection of amazing homeschooling skills and experiences, a full understanding that their educations belong to them and the knowledge that schooling is a choice they have made for themselves. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page