Best Books for an Early Reader - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-10-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 year old DS can read at a 1st grade level and we are struggling with which books to provide.  He loves reading all the early readers he can get his hands on but I'd really rather he not read the junky books based on movies, TV shows, etc.  More classic books would be preferred!  I also want to balance him feeling like he's succeeding and can make it through a book while continuing to be challenged. We are planning to use a combination of Charlotte Mason and Classical Ed with him.

Besides the Little Bear books (getting those from the library), are there any others that are of higher quality than the standard early readers that are out there now?

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#2 of 9 Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Cynthia Rylant has some nice ones. The Lighthouse Family is very sweet.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#3 of 9 Old 08-10-2011, 09:10 PM

I agree on the Cynthia Rylant ones. Ds love the Henry and Mudge stories, Frog and Toad books are also another favorite here as well as The Mouse Tales and Mouse Soup books.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#4 of 9 Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 AM

Is he passed the Dear Dragon books?  Those are cute and my son loves reading them to us at bedtime.

#5 of 9 Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Elephant and piggie!
#6 of 9 Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 AM

Subbing for my 4.5yo daughter at about the same reading level and just starting to really WANT to read, too!  :)

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#7 of 9 Old 08-12-2011, 05:59 AM

My DS loves to read!  He enjoyed the Little Bear books, Frog and Toad, Fly Guy books by Ted Arnold (these were his fav for a long time), he's now reading Nate the Great and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  He also loves being read to.  We read every night as a family and some of his nightly favs have been:  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Old Yeller, and now that he's 6 we've been reading Harry Potter (he likes to read ahead by himself in the books then we read them aloud at night).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#8 of 9 Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We recently discovered "Down Girl and Sit" books.  There are four and are great for beginning readers.  They are technically an early chapter book, but the level of text is still easily decodable (check the "look inside" section from amazon to see some of the text).  If it is too hard for now, keep them in mind for later.  My kids found the books very funny and I loved them too!

http://www.amazon.com/Smarter-Than-Squirrels-Down-Girl/dp/076145571X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313204369&sr=8-1

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the great ideas!  Headed to the library today :)

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page