9/11 - what are you doing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to try to figure out what I want to do about 9/11 for my 7 year old. What are you doing with your kids?
#2 of 12 Old 08-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Watching...  lurk.gif

My 7 year old saw one of those specials on 9/11 a couple of months ago.  He was pretty curious about it all.

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

#3 of 12 Old 08-15-2011, 11:44 PM

Nothing. Mine are 5 and 7 and I really do not want them seeing the images of the planes. I know it'll happen one day, but for now, they are little with big imaginations and they often do fly on planes.

They know that something happened before they were born and that planes went into buildings, but that's it. I'm sure I'll personally feel a bit sad that day-- remembering back 10 years (how has it been so long?) and to those families, but for them...it will just be another day.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#4 of 12 Old 08-16-2011, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Nothing planned.  We will study 9/11 as part of american history.   I can not believe its been 10 years!  I remember exactly where I was when I found out what was going on that day.  I sat for most of the day glued to my TV, just staring.

But this year DS will be 11 (his bday is a week before) and it's just another day.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 12 Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nothing. They've asked before, and we tell them some, but I certainly don't plan anything.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#6 of 12 Old 08-17-2011, 05:43 PM

I will tell them that some very bad people took over some airplanes and flew them into some buildings because they were mad at our country, and that a lot of people were killed when they did that, and that most of the world was really sad and angry and disgusted about them doing this.

I am hoping to keep them from seeing the footage until they are older.   To me it is still very disturbing even though I have seen it before.  It always will be.  I don't want them to see it until they are ready to understand that it was real and horrible....not like other things they see on TV or movies by accident that we quickly tell them "that's not real". 

On the actual day, our homeschool group is having a not-back-to-school picnic (that has nothing to do with 9/11).

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#7 of 12 Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 PM

I'm in the kids-are-still-too-young category, but I know for myself I'll be thinking of that fateful day on the anniversary. We'll likely take extra care to avoid television and maybe even radio media because DD is still so young (DS too, of course). I was in Hoboken, NJ, last week, which is right across the Hudson River from NYC. Sometimes it's hard to even remember what the skyline looked like with those two buildings in it, even though I worked in and around the city for years and saw them standing there regularly. I just can't imagine describing the events of that day to DD right now. In time, though, it will come.

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#8 of 12 Old 08-19-2011, 01:09 AM

nothing. i have some pretty young ones yet.  We will celebrate my sons 2nd birthdayon 9-11, though!!

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#9 of 12 Old 08-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

We live in NJ and I remember that day very well. Living so close I think it makes it hard not to talk about it. But I try not to make a big deal. When my boys get older I will go to the museum. But for right now no I don't have anything planned.(also had a friend that was late to work that day!!!!)

The day is very sad for me. I would see them everyday. Also I went to the top many times. I was a favorite place to go as a little girl.

#10 of 12 Old 08-23-2011, 06:53 PM

Being Muslim and wearing hijab, I've gotten a few nasty comments in past years--and have had to explain some things to my kids.  (Some bad guys who were Muslims flew planes into buildings and hurt a lot of innocent people. Sometimes people need to vent their anger and sadness, so when they see me, they want to yell at the bad Muslims who did this but yell at me instead.)  Still, I hope to avoid the actual footage and details until they're older.  

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#11 of 12 Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 AM

I heard about this pretty cool thing in New York.  People are going to make a human chain on Saturday September 10th.  You have to register and then they tell you where to go.  I remember I felt so proud of the unity of NYers showed back then. I think it may be a nice way to show my little guy that side of New York.   Here is their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/HandinHand911  and here is the registration info: http://www.handinhand911.org/register-now.  Maybe i will see some of you there?

Samantha

#12 of 12 Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM

I just heard about a new curriculum regarding global terrorism that incorporates teaching 9/11 to K-12 kids. The people who made it were just on NPR if you want to listen to them talk about it.

Brian Lehrer show page: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2011/aug/30/teaching-911/

The curriculum itself: http://www.state.nj.us/education/holocaust/911/curriculum/

I haven't read through it and don't otherwise endorse this. Just insterested to know it's out there.

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page