If your dining room IS your "school room".... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe put the table more in the middle of the room and put the Craigslist cupboard in the corner between the doors and the window?  Or is it too big there?  My husband and I have always had small places, so we are getting good at fitting things in.  Sometimes, that means stuff goes in odd places (like the blanket chest currently sitting in the corner of our dining room, and our daughters' play kitchen which sits there too) but it works.  I like the posters you have on the walls.  You could fit short bookshelves under the window if you put the table in the middle of the room.  Or a whiteboard under the window (then you could sit on the floor with your son while you're drawing on the whiteboard).

Bonnie aka The Koala Bear Writer (mom of Sunshine, 3, and Lilibet, 1)
http://thekoalabearwriter.blogspot.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post

Maybe put the table more in the middle of the room and put the Craigslist cupboard in the corner between the doors and the window?  Or is it too big there?  My husband and I have always had small places, so we are getting good at fitting things in.  Sometimes, that means stuff goes in odd places (like the blanket chest currently sitting in the corner of our dining room, and our daughters' play kitchen which sits there too) but it works.  I like the posters you have on the walls.  You could fit short bookshelves under the window if you put the table in the middle of the room.  Or a whiteboard under the window (then you could sit on the floor with your son while you're drawing on the whiteboard).

That's actually one of the places I was considering putting that cupboard... I just have to decide if I can stand the table in the middle of the room.  I feel like that's where it "should" be anyway (under the light), but then it feels like it might be in the way of the doors and the entry to the kitchen.  

I'm going to try it now, and see what I think.  I have got to find another table...lol.  Something about the roundness just makes me crazy.  

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

#33 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been doing a lot of reading on the Waldorf principles and thinking about incorporating movement and rhythm into our school schedule (although right now we've just started "babyschooling" my 19mo and we don't have any other learners since DD died, so this is somewhat theoretical).

IDK where exactly you live and what the climate is like, but I like the idea of each class meeting in a different place.  We do a collegiate-style course-based homeschool, in which learners design a courseload from a catalog of offerings and each class meets at a different time and several of them have different teachers (DH, me, my parents, neighbors, etc.) based on people's specialties.  So I particularly like minimizing the time our learners spend glued to a chair, writing on a hard surface, in artificial lighting.  I like holding science classes for the younger folks outside as much as I can (or in the kitchen or garage if the weather or project requires being inside).  I like holding reading-based classes on the couch, or in bedrooms.  I like to take the sidewalk chalk and do math in empty parking lots (there's a secluded area of my father's church lot that we used to use with DD).  You might find that if you only use the desk/table for written work, the space doesn't bother you as much.

#34 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 07:39 PM

If you are looking for something for pre-school, here is a good FREE link. http://www.letteroftheweek.com/  I got to this link from Oldfashionededucation.com http://oldfashionededucation.com/ which has a lot of good FREE resources, with FREE curricula for  pre-K through 12th grade.  Great resource if your focus is the 3R's.  However all subjects are covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzaviers_mama View Post

Are you doing anything "schoolish" with your 3yo?  I have a 3.5yo, but don't have anything really planned for him, other than what he chooses to do while I'm working with his brother.  

I wish I lived a little closer to you!  I'm trying to find some type of HS group, so that my boys have other kids to meet up with once in a while.  

#35 of 39 Old 08-24-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnthrope View Post

I've been doing a lot of reading on the Waldorf principles and thinking about incorporating movement and rhythm into our school schedule (although right now we've just started "babyschooling" my 19mo and we don't have any other learners since DD died, so this is somewhat theoretical).

IDK where exactly you live and what the climate is like, but I like the idea of each class meeting in a different place.  We do a collegiate-style course-based homeschool, in which learners design a courseload from a catalog of offerings and each class meets at a different time and several of them have different teachers (DH, me, my parents, neighbors, etc.) based on people's specialties.  So I particularly like minimizing the time our learners spend glued to a chair, writing on a hard surface, in artificial lighting.  I like holding science classes for the younger folks outside as much as I can (or in the kitchen or garage if the weather or project requires being inside).  I like holding reading-based classes on the couch, or in bedrooms.  I like to take the sidewalk chalk and do math in empty parking lots (there's a secluded area of my father's church lot that we used to use with DD).  You might find that if you only use the desk/table for written work, the space doesn't bother you as much.

I don't know what happened, but I'm very sorry about your dd.  greensad.gif    hug2.gif

I am all about getting out and about to do some of our "work"!  Right now, we're trying to be outside as much as possible, since I know what's going to happen to the weather any day now...lol.    We have a large cement area on the side of our house, and all my boys love to get out there with chalk.  

I'm thinking that once the weather turns, I may take DS to the bookstore or Starbucks on weekends... just take some of his workbook pages to work on  That way I can leave DH with the other boys, and have some special time with just DS, to work on whatever he's doing at the time.

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

#36 of 39 Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenson229 View Post

If you are looking for something for pre-school, here is a good FREE link. http://www.letteroftheweek.com/  I got to this link from Oldfashionededucation.com http://oldfashionededucation.com/ which has a lot of good FREE resources, with FREE curricula for  pre-K through 12th grade.  Great resource if your focus is the 3R's.  However all subjects are covered.

Thanks for the link!  I think I have a friend who is using letteroftheweek for her son as well!

#37 of 39 Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We "school" all over the house, and we don't have a dining room, but we do all of our seatwork at the kitchen table.  I keep some folders and workbooks on the window sill and a mug of various pencils in the middle of the table.  I also have a geography bulletin board on the wall above the table and lots of educational placemats (national and world maps, units of measurement, star charts, sign language, etc) that I rotate.  Piano is in oldest DD's bedroom. Our timeline is in the family room, our books are on shelves in the living room, along with a basket of frequently used schoolbooks for each kid.  The limited computer work that the kids do is at the coffee table in the living room.  Our reading moves all over the house, and I think our favorite spot is cuddled up on mommy's bed!

and then when we get to the ocean
we're gonna take a boat to the end of the world

#38 of 39 Old 08-27-2011, 08:07 AM

We keep our supplies and books on a book shelf in the dining room, there's stuff on the walls in there too, but sometimes we do our work in the living room, the play room (when its clean)  or outside (when the weather is nice).

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#39 of 39 Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM

I haven't been on here forEVER but I'm glad to read this thread.  I need to stop looking at pictures of perfectly huge and organized school rooms.  It just can't happen here.  I love the idea, and I'm envious in a way of families that have a good system and can work this way, however it is just a lost cause LOL.  My house is pretty big, a little over 3000square feet.  DH works remotely so he has the huge "bonus room."  I was bitter for a while but know he needs it LOL....it's also next to the laundry room on the other side of all the other upstairs rooms so we stay out of each others way easier.  Plus, no matter what/how I organize every room, EVERYTHING ends up around the table and in the family room.  We have a "great room design."  Right now i have a corner that would work perfectly as a lovely little sitting area with another small formal couch and my coffee table that now gets shoved around the main room as necessary for lego battle scenes and to hold barbie's pool etc.  In said corner I have set up each kid a desk, with an IKEA tall trofast unit with bins for our "workboxes."  Which might i add i did not know had an official term and is all over the internet!  I have been doing something like this for a while, though after reading the book realize the entire system is a bit too rigid and we have adapted to our needs.....tangent....

Our kitchen is at the end of the house.  The "nook" area of the kitchen is small but is not seen buy a person walking in the front door or from almost anywhere so this is where I plan to make a family art wall.  I have purchased idea paint, and am paneling a large portion of the wall to paint in a white board.  Next to that I am going to cork and or magnetize part, so basically i have an entire wall dedicated to hanging maps, artwork and visual math lessons.  For now I have a large white board that i just prop up on an easel because I do not want to hang it with big holes then take it down soon.  I know it sounds bad, but i don't wnat every inch looking like a school map or alphabet, so I decided to keep this little school nook very tidy with just their material, and just across in the kitchen hold more of the activity things.  DS is very easily distracted (2nd grade) and DD is kinder age so work is a little different. 

Upstairs is where i had planned the school room. It is at the top of the stairs beside a large landing where DS has a full sized drum set.  The room itself is not huge, but ok.  We have bunk beds in there set up as fun reading zones and for sleepovers/company.  The plan was to keep a long desk downstairs and allow more toys around as we kind of do now, and school is upstairs.  But this just does not work.  I actually painted the room a lovely benjamin moore soft blue, etc.  The kids just want to be in the main living area.  I am ok with this now after a long time of going back and forth.  It's just my life right now and shame on me for complaining anyways because I still DO have a dining room, they just have the nook to the side of it for school area. I think i keep imagining my house looking lilke the cover of a magazine and need to get over it :lol.  Plus my sewing craft room is down here and that's just one more area with desks they can resort to if quiet is needed, and I try to think it makes more sense for them to learn near me, and play upstairs since they don't need me for that.

I'll try to post some pics very soon.  We haven't officially started our first day (day after labor day) so they are keeping more toys and clutter out right now.  Oh and I had a good idea how to define the space a little.  I couldn't find any pics so I just went for it and I actually like it.  I bought 2 swing arm curtain rods and 2 long plain panels from IKEA and hung them on opposite sides of the nook so it looks like it creates a little room. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page