If your dining room IS your "school room".... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 08-15-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What is your setup like?  Still have a dining room table?  Does your HS child/ren have a desk, or just use the table?  Do you keep all of your supplies there as well?

My dining room is pretty small.  It has double doors (to outside) that take up one wall, and a large window that takes up quite a bit of another wall.  (I'm thinking I should take a pic and post it....)   Anyway, I *almost* threw the dining room table outside last night, because we bought DS a nice little desk on craigslist, and I want that to be his work space.  However, it occurred to me that my other kids need somewhere to sit and be entertained (crafts, playdough, etc) when I'm working with their big brother.  And...I suppose they need a place to eat meals and whatnot.  duh.gif  I really wanted space for a whiteboard, but I just can't seem to cram it all in.  All of our supplies are in a linen type closet in the hallway, which isn't too far away... but I would like to possibly add a worbox bin type thing for DS.

I guess the answer is clear.  I just need a bigger house. biggrinbounce.gif  

I think I'll go take a couple pics and post them... maybe one of you mamas will be able to give me some ideas, since you'll be looking at it with fresh eyes.  Feel free to post pics of you own dining room/school space!  I've been looking at sooo many pics on the "Not Back to School Blog Hop"... I think it's becoming an addiction.  

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

#2 of 39 Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 AM

I don't see how old your homeschool child is? My advice varies a bit by age.

Anyway, my kitchen doubled as our homeschool room for a long time. I got my oldest a booster seat so that she could sit at our regular table and be tall enough to write comfortably. The younger kids did use the table to do play dough and such sometimes too during school, and when the oldest was younger she did those too. I was not lucky enough to have a closet for our supplies and so I had a big metal kitchen shelf that held our supplies- including having things like legos and lincon logs on the top shelf. We also had a table that was the right size for dd either in our living room, the corner of the kitchen or inher room- it moved around as she grew. The small table worked as somewhere she could work on her own. As she got older, she seemed to really like having it in her bedroom, so she could work on something in peace and quiet away from her siblings. I did use a child's easle as a white board for a while, it could be put away or scooted into a corner when we had dinner.

Don't throw out the rest of your life to make homeschooling work . wink1.gif

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#3 of 39 Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 AM

We've done things differently over the years.

When dd was 5 years old all the homeschooling stuff was on a shelf in the living room. We didn't have as much space or as big of a table.

A few years ago we tried having an actual  homeschool room with a desk and a chalkboard/whiteboard but drifted to the living room and dining room table anyway. So having more room and a desk doesn't mean it will get used the way you think it will.

Currently I have our books on a shelf unit by the dining room.I have dishpans that I put the day's assigned work in. We carry the dish pan to the dining table or living room and then carry it back to the shelf when we are done. Dd never works at a desk.

We eat at our dining table every day.

miss_honeyb likes this.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#4 of 39 Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

I have dishpans that I put the day's assigned work in. We carry the dish pan to the dining table or living room and then carry it back to the shelf when we are done. Dd never works at a desk.

We eat at our dining table every day.

This. Is. Brilliant. 

Finally something that will actually WORK for my daughter, AND it's cheap AND it's simple!  

#5 of 39 Old 08-16-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Have you considered using the window and double doors to write on instead of trying to fit in a whiteboard?   A lot of dry-erase stuff will work on glass too (although I find my dry-erase crayons come off better with a wet rag) and you can get special window crayons and markers.

#6 of 39 Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Four kids here, and we've used the kitchen table (or the living room couch) for schoolwork for many many years. Our house is very small. It was built by and for a single guy, and though we added three bedrooms, the main living areas remain rather, er, intimate. 

The kids have no desks. They wouldn't fit. We share space and it's all multi-purpose. The peninsula counter in the kitchen is the commonest place for crafts and hands-on stuff. It gets put away immediately once the kids are done, though, because it's a major food-prep area. The kitchen table is where all the kids tend to do their written work. Textbooks and workbooks go back on a nearby shelf as soon as they're not being used, since we use that table for many things, including meals. The living room couch is the preferred spot for reading. Again, stuff goes back on the shelf when it's not being used. 

We do own a whiteboard, which has proved very useful for my perfectionistic dysgraphic kid, and for working through certain types of math using colour-coding of place value, and for simplifying equations by erasing common digits with a finger. But it's just a lap-sized one, marketed as a memo board for the fridge, and we use fine-point markers. It fits easily on a shelf when not in use. The point of large wall-mounted whiteboards, IMO, is that they're visible by multiple people from a greater distance, as you might have in a classroom. I see no particular utility for a large whiteboard in a homeschooling situation, where it only needs to be visible to two people who can easily get close to it. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#7 of 39 Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 PM

I don't know, I think desks are overrated!  In our house, no one wants to be off working by themselves so the kitchen table works perfectly.  We don't have a huge kitchen, but we do have what I think is called a 'buffet' (long skinny piece of furniture, table high) that has drawers where the schoolwork is kept.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#8 of 39 Old 08-16-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

Have you considered using the window and double doors to write on instead of trying to fit in a whiteboard?   A lot of dry-erase stuff will work on glass too (although I find my dry-erase crayons come off better with a wet rag) and you can get special window crayons and markers.

I was actually wondering about that!  I'm going to go try it right now... if that works, it would be awesome.  

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

#9 of 39 Old 08-16-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

We do own a whiteboard, which has proved very useful for my perfectionistic dysgraphic kid, and for working through certain types of math using colour-coding of place value, and for simplifying equations by erasing common digits with a finger. But it's just a lap-sized one, marketed as a memo board for the fridge, and we use fine-point markers. It fits easily on a shelf when not in use. The point of large wall-mounted whiteboards, IMO, is that they're visible by multiple people from a greater distance, as you might have in a classroom. I see no particular utility for a large whiteboard in a homeschooling situation, where it only needs to be visible to two people who can easily get close to it. 

Miranda

Good point.  And, I actually got 2 lap size white boards in the dollar section at Target... so I suppose a full size type is very unnecessary.  

I fear that I'm totally going to overdo everything this year, because I have NO clue what I'm doing, or what's going to work for us.  

#10 of 39 Old 08-16-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post

I don't know, I think desks are overrated!  In our house, no one wants to be off working by themselves so the kitchen table works perfectly.  We don't have a huge kitchen, but we do have what I think is called a 'buffet' (long skinny piece of furniture, table high) that has drawers where the schoolwork is kept.

lol... I think DS (he's 7, by the way) just wanted the desk because it's "his own" workspace.  Every single time he tries to sit at the kitchen table and do something with the younger boys, my 2yo inevitably climbs up on the table, and colors on his paper, or grabs a handful of his playdough, etc., etc.  Today they were painting rocks (making little rock people), and just as 7yo DS got his googly eyes glued on, my 2yo reached over and swiped his rock with a paint brush.  (Did I mention we have a very small, round table...?)

I picked up a cool green clipboard the other day, and I've had DS take that in his bedroom to work on a couple of worksheets, just to test out that method.  I think he liked being able to go in his room and shut the door... not to mention, sit/lay however he wants on his bed.

So, I guess what I will do is, leave DS's desk and the dining table where they are.  DS can choose to sit at the desk, at the table, in his room, in the yard... wherever he chooses.  I will quit worrying about all the things I don't have that I "just need sooo bad!", and figure out what works for our family first.  thumb.gif  

(I will still be scoping out craigslist in search of a free dining table that is rectangle, and not circle... I really hate that thing.)

#11 of 39 Old 08-16-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Still going to take pics of our area, just to see if anyone has any good ideas for me!  I need DH's phone though... my camera batteries are dead, and my phone is ancient.  (I refuse to conform and get a touch screen. orngbiggrin.gif )

#12 of 39 Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzaviers_mama View Post

Good point.  And, I actually got 2 lap size white boards in the dollar section at Target... so I suppose a full size type is very unnecessary.  

I fear that I'm totally going to overdo everything this year, because I have NO clue what I'm doing, or what's going to work for us.  

And in the vein of writing on the windows..we have a large chest freezer that sits in the weird interim room between our kitchen, bathroom, dining room and music room (our house is a very strange shape). It is *perfect* for writing/drawing on with whiteboard markers. Also would work well for a program like All About Spelling I imagine.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#13 of 39 Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:

Every single time he tries to sit at the kitchen table and do something with the younger boys, my 2yo inevitably climbs up on the table, and colors on his paper, or grabs a handful of his playdough, etc., etc.  Today they were painting rocks (making little rock people), and just as 7yo DS got his googly eyes glued on, my 2yo reached over and swiped his rock with a paint brush.  (Did I mention we have a very small, round table...?)

When I was a kid and we wanted privacy at the dining room table we would set up a barrier of breakfast cereal boxes between ourselves and our siblings. So when my ds went through a phase of believing that his younger sister was eyeballing his math work and silently laughing at him for taking so long to work through questions that she knew the answer to easily (she wasn't, but he thought she was), we built a portable study carrel. We used foamcore board to make a tri-fold carrel. We could fold it up flat and tuck it away when not being used. It provided a sense of one's own space, and a visual and physical barrier between curious siblings and one's work. If you google "cardboard study carrel" you'll find plenty of links, but here's a decent example. It fit into our home where a desk wouldn't. We ended up making three of them because other siblings wanted them. They were inexpensive and very portable. They were eventually repurposed as science fair displays and photo collage displays for various projects, but I'm thinking my youngest would love me to make her one now that she's doing 'school work'.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#14 of 39 Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmama2 View Post

Quote:

And in the vein of writing on the windows..we have a large chest freezer that sits in the weird interim room between our kitchen, bathroom, dining room and music room (our house is a very strange shape). It is *perfect* for writing/drawing on with whiteboard markers. Also would work well for a program like All About Spelling I imagine.

Oh, we used our white refrigerator as a white board for YEARS! We could use just regular washable markers or crayons and they came off with a wet rag. It was great for practicing writing or letting the little one color while the older worked on something. Honestly, it worked out better than the whiteboard I have now, but this house came with a black fridge.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#15 of 39 Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We use our dining room for homeschool, DS1 is going into 2nd and DD1 is starting K.  We have a 2' x 3' whiteboard that we use for All About Spelling, we usually do spelling in the living room and slide the whiteboard behind the couch when we're done. 

On the landing at the top of the stairs we have a tall bookshelf that we use for storing our homeschool materials.  We bring down whatever we need to work on that day and then before dinner DS1 will carry it all back upstairs.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#16 of 39 Old 08-21-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post

We use our dining room for homeschool, DS1 is going into 2nd and DD1 is starting K.  We have a 2' x 3' whiteboard that we use for All About Spelling, we usually do spelling in the living room and slide the whiteboard behind the couch when we're done. 

On the landing at the top of the stairs we have a tall bookshelf that we use for storing our homeschool materials.  We bring down whatever we need to work on that day and then before dinner DS1 will carry it all back upstairs.

Are you doing anything "schoolish" with your 3yo?  I have a 3.5yo, but don't have anything really planned for him, other than what he chooses to do while I'm working with his brother.  

I wish I lived a little closer to you!  I'm trying to find some type of HS group, so that my boys have other kids to meet up with once in a while.  

#17 of 39 Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma View Post

Oh, we used our white refrigerator as a white board for YEARS! We could use just regular washable markers or crayons and they came off with a wet rag. It was great for practicing writing or letting the little one color while the older worked on something. Honestly, it worked out better than the whiteboard I have now, but this house came with a black fridge.

We have a black fridge too... but I think the kids will love using the glass part of the double doors to write on.  Although, I'm sure my 2yo will think that means it's a free for all to write on any wall/door/etc.

#18 of 39 Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 AM

We do most school in our small dining room--it's 8x12, maybe.

We need out dining room table because we eat in there. :D  So it doubles as our desk/work station/computer desk.  I have a small bench on one wall that holds the lamp and the laptop (when not in use) as well as dh's random papers.

I have a fairly narrow 3 shelf bookshelf, where all the workbooks and school supplies go, and I have a corner cupboard (space saver!!!) that holds my knicknacks and all my financial stuff and stationary, etc.

So that is our primary school area.  We have a desk in the living room where our other laptop is, along with the phone and the PC, so kids doing their computer based learning can be seperate from the book-based learning, and they don't distract each other.  Or, I let ds 3 play on pbskids while the older two do bookwork.

#19 of 39 Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

Are you doing anything "schoolish" with your 3yo?  I have a 3.5yo, but don't have anything really planned for him, other than what he chooses to do while I'm working with his brother.  

I wish I lived a little closer to you!  I'm trying to find some type of HS group, so that my boys have other kids to meet up with once in a while.  

I'm still trying to find a homeschool group that's a good fit too, I hear ya about wanting other kids for our little ones to meet up with!

I'm not doing anything schoolish with my 3 year old.  She loves to color and draw so she'll sit at the table and do that while DD1 does her work, but as soon as DD1 is done they're usually both off playing.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#20 of 39 Old 08-22-2011, 04:38 PM

Love the white fridge idea, I have one and will be trying that!

I just started homeschooling my 5yo for Kindergarten.  Our house isn't very big so we use our dining room.  We have a card table as our "computer table" set up next to a tall filing cabinet in the corner with the printer on top.  We had to little-proof the electronics since we'll be adding a 2yo and 6mo old to the household in a few weeks.

I have small cards cut out with magnets on the back and use those as the "schedule" for my son.  His chores, lessons and mealtimes are laid out on the front of the cabinet each night so in the morning he knows exactly what he has to do and when he's done he moves them to  "Done!  Way to go!" section of the filing cabinet.  Makes him feel good about all he does and really helped him with motivation for lessons....gave him some ownership and me some more accountability.  He also has "HELP" cards that he can bring me if he needs help with school and I'm occupied with the little ones or a chore...that really helps him, cut down on a lot of whining.

I love that the filing cabinet is tall, can keep the printer away from little hands and can be used as a big magnetic board.

A lot of our materials are easily put away so they're used just for school (small chalk board, easel that's folded and slid next to the filing cabinet, etc.) and aren't taken all around the house and are special just for school time.

So, we're still learning and adapting, but it's working well so far.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#21 of 39 Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 PM

We took our family room/Tv/Game room and turned it into a classroom.  I'm teaching six of my children this year but decided to have the class room after the first year (I'm on my 6th year) because the dining room environment just was not cutting it, it was driving me nuts.  I like having a classroom because it's a defined space that keeps our focus real.  When we are in the classroom, it's school time which really helps the children stay focused on their work.  It's got plenty of light and space. They all have activities to do, even the little ones so they aren't in someone else's business. The children have their desks and all our school books are in one place.  It makes a HUGE difference on MY mind set as well.  It's funny because we aren't that structured when it comes to school...we kind of do our own thing when it comes to curriculum and I would rather have my children do "hands on" activities than be stuck in a textbook ( an example would be that science is always outside, almost always nature oriented) but I still have to have that space where we get together and do "school".  

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#22 of 39 Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 PM

We do school and art at our dining room table.  We have a large china hutch that I painted apple red to store all of our supplies in.  We used to have a chalkboard that I made out of a fancy frame and chalkboard painted MDF, but found that I was never using it for school.  I don't want my dining room to look like a classroom.  I need a multi-purpose room that I can entertain in, craft in, and homeschool in.  Don't have a picture right now b/c we are in the middle of moving and will be using this system again at the new house.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#23 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 AM

We use our dining room table. We don't have a lot of room, but in the corner we have a chalkboard/whiteboard...

http://www.amazon.com/Kidkraft-Deluxe-Wood-Easel--Espresso/dp/B001V6ZN9U/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1314097879&sr=8-23   

The wood color matches my dining room table so we just it there all the time. I've actually had compliments on how nice it is, so I don't feel the need to move it for company. I have all of our everyday work and supplies in a desk. It also matches in color, which is what I was going for, so it doesn't look out of place. Next to that, I have a roll file cart that has all of the pages (for the whole year) as well as the games and Bible cards (that sit on the bottom.) It's an eye sore, so when people come over, I just roll it into my bedroom. Super easy. The rest of our school stuff (the stuff we don't use everyday) are on shelves in my closet. This year, I always got the kids a work 'box' per my daughters request. It holds their seatwork pages, crayons, pencils, etc. It closes shut and I have them all 3 in a tub beside the desk in the dining room. They can just come get it when it's time for school and put it back when their done. The tub has handles so it's easy to move into my room if we have company. Our dining room looks like a school room, but it very easily and quickly changeable to a dining room if we are having people over. I have been very pleased with our set up.

I'd like to eventually get this file cabinet to replace my metal one on rollers. It will match the rest of the room...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-Cornerstone-Collection-File-Cabinet-Mahogany-Finish/16532602

I don't have pictures of it right now but if anyone is interested, I can get some and post them.

#24 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 AM

Without reading the rest of the replies here's what we did/do.  We home schooled the girls K through 7th grade.  Dylan is being home schooled 6th grade through ?.  With the girls, we just used the house.  The books and arts and crafts supplies were on selves with the rest of the family's books (we are bookaholics) and school was held at the dining room table the couch in the living room on the floor, outside, everywhere.  We had a history timeline going up the stairs to the 2nd floor.

With Dylan, he has a repurposed computer desk in my sewing room (I work at home as a professional dressmaker) with shelves over it.  We also use the computer in the living room, the laptop in the sewing room (when wifi will work in there and he doesn't need the printer), the workbench in the garage, the dining room table, the back yard, and everywhere.  He doesn't use a large visible timeline.  He puts his timelines in his history notebook.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#25 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 AM

I hope this works - I've never posted pictures on here before! Just wanted to share our "school" room - also our kitchen and dining area (not even really a separate dining room). Most of our seat work happens in this space, as well as science projects, art, etc. Everything gets cleared off for lunch and then for dinner.

dining room/kitchen/school room

We keep all our current supplies in half of the pantry. I had to put a lot of  my kitchen stuff in the garage to make space, but its worth it to have everything in one place. 

DSC02310.JPG

I use clip boxes from Target to contain most of the pieces - on the top are markers, crayons, math manipulatives. On the bottom are larger clip boxes that hold "centers" for my smaller kids (here my 16 month old was checking out the lacing cards - he just figured out how to unlatch there, which is why the writing implements are now on the top!). The books here are all of ours for the year, not including some supplements from the library. The plastic bins hold each kids work for the day. The baskets up top hold art supplies and learning puzzles/games/other randomness.  On the door I have our calendar and the beginnings of an art gallery. :) I've been wanting to also hang a narrow writing surface for me to write our memory work for the week - right now I use a medium size blackboard that I set on the mantle during the day. I like everything closing away and instantly feeling uncluttered. 

We don't have space for a school room at the moment, but I like this anyway. Having small children (mine are 6.5, 4.5, 3, and 16 months) I like staying central so I can keep and eye on everyone, and even work on stuff in the kitchen while kids work on schoolwork or projects at the table. I would eventually like to find some good stools to have extra working space for kids at the kitchen island, but at the moment even our small dining table is enough space for them all to work at the same time.  We also read a lot, and do that on the couch in our living room. I think the key to this is having specific places for everything to live when not in use.

Catherine
classical soprano wife to a physics professor, mom to four kids 7 yrs and younger

Trying to balance Dad's science and math obsession with mom's love of arts and literature - blogging at a runcible life.

#26 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarat View Post

I have small cards cut out with magnets on the back and use those as the "schedule" for my son.  His chores, lessons and mealtimes are laid out on the front of the cabinet each night so in the morning he knows exactly what he has to do and when he's done he moves them to  "Done!  Way to go!" section of the filing cabinet.  Makes him feel good about all he does and really helped him with motivation for lessons....gave him some ownership and me some more accountability.  He also has "HELP" cards that he can bring me if he needs help with school and I'm occupied with the little ones or a chore...that really helps him, cut down on a lot of whining.

I love the magnetic cards idea!  That sounds like something my son would totally be into.  

#27 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuway View Post

I hope this works - I've never posted pictures on here before! Just wanted to share our "school" room - also our kitchen and dining area (not even really a separate dining room). Most of our seat work happens in this space, as well as science projects, art, etc. Everything gets cleared off for lunch and then for dinner.

I am sooo in love with your kitchen/dining area!  That cupboard set up is awesome, and exactly what I need to make happen!  So far, I've only got one to worry about as far as "school" goes, but my 3.5yo will want his space too, I'm sure.... and then I've got a 2yo who needs to be busy.  I love the big tubs on the bottom shelf for the younger kids.  

#28 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

daisy-  I love that easel!  I hate that I have to multipurpose every room in my home...lol.  I'd love to have my dining area still look "presentable", and have things that mesh well together, but I don't think it's going to happen during this school year.  We just moved into this house in May, so we're trying to decorate little by little.  For now, I'm enjoying my craigslist scores.... biggrinbounce.gif

#29 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, finally took pictures.  Here is DS's desk/workspace.

summer2011 001.jpg

To the right is our tiny dining room table (that I don't love).

summer2011 002.jpg

There's the little dining room as a whole.  I wish I had somewhere to put a bookshelf, or cupboard type thing, but I'm just out of wall space.

summer2011 003.jpg

summer2011 004.jpg

Oh... and I took a picture of this thing, because I found it on craigslist... for FREE!  I love the little dividers, and was thinking of using it was a workbox, but I can't figure out where to put it (which is why it's sitting outside). 

summer2011 006.jpg

Got this table for free as well!  Some preschool was closing, and giving away lots of stuff.  Score!

summer2011 101.jpg

#30 of 39 Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 PM

When I started homeschooling in grade 1, we worked at the kitchen table.  Our home had a very open design, so the dining room flowed into the living room which flowed into a library/office that became the homeschool room a few years later.  My grandma found my brothers and I each an old-fashioned desk at garage sales and my mom had her own desk.  We also did a lot of work in the living room; Mom could read to us there or do some group work there.  When we got older, I had a desk in my room (probably jr high/high school) and did a lot of my work there on my own.

My daughter has a portable art easel (lap desk version) that has a black board and dry erase board on it, as well as a magnet board with letter magnets.  I've also seen dry erase boards that you can stick on your fridge so that would work too.  I think the key is in being flexible and working with what you have.  My daughter is just starting preschool this year, so I haven't tried doing much with her yet, but we don't have space for her to have a desk or anything.  If she wants to draw or do crafts, I either let her work at my desk or at the kitchen table.  Likely when she starts kindergarten, that will be the same situation.  Someday, it would be nice to have more space, but for now, I'm used to getting things out when she wants to work and then cleaning up when she is done.

Bonnie aka The Koala Bear Writer (mom of Sunshine, 3, and Lilibet, 1)
http://thekoalabearwriter.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page