Classical Homeschoolers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-26-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I'm new (obviously), but I wondered whether there really are no classical homeschoolers here.

We are a classical/Charlotte Mason/Eclectic homeschool family.  Anyone else out there?

#2 of 14 Old 08-26-2011, 06:07 PM

I am currently reading The Well-Trained Mind and really like the concept. I'm not sure how receptive DS2 will be. DS1 cried whenever we asked him to write anything, I am worried about the potential crying fits associated with all of the writing expected.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

I loved the Well Trained Mind, too -- but my son couldn't do the writing for the first several years, so we started out with Charlotte Mason's idea of living books. Instead of written, we used verbal narration. and now out caboose boy has an amazing recall of everything he reads.  

We've handled handwriting as a separate subject and at almost nine, he i s finally getting the hang of handwriting.  We plan to move into written narration as he gets more comfortable with writing.  

I think many boys aren't ready to write until 8 or 9.

#4 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We're relaxed classical homeschoolers here.  :)  DS1 is starting 2nd and DD1 is starting K.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#5 of 14 Old 08-28-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Happy to meet you, Red Sonja!

Caboose Boy is eight, so I suppose he's starting starting 3rd grade.  We tend to work in "units" rather than grades.  Some go very quickly, and some (like the current one, Greek History) drag on what seems like forever.  Part of that is because my husband is th at home parent and while he believes in Classical Studies in theory, he's rather more comfortable with unschooling.  :p

#6 of 14 Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 AM

We've just begun kindergarten, but I find that I get the most useful discussion about it on the Well Trained Mind forum. 

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#7 of 14 Old 08-28-2011, 12:33 PM

OP, we are just getting started (DS is an advanced 4 year old) but classical/charlotte mason is our plan as well.  He already reads quite well (about 1st grade level) so we are planning to spend a small amount of time each day actively working on basic math skills (Right Start Math A) and basic writing while also spending lots and lots of time reading which he loves.  He wants to "do school" so we're not planning on forcing it. Just making it fun and trying to give him a good base so when we start with the other subjects more intensely he'll be ready.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#8 of 14 Old 08-28-2011, 12:44 PM

We are newly converted Classical Homeschoolers.  I started using curriculum that supported it before I even knew what it was and was REALLY happy with how it worked for DS.  I love that writing and reading are not linked.  I wish I had that insight when DS was younger and we could still have proceeded with language skills when his fine motor was delayed.  Live and learn!  A friend introduced me to The Well Trained Mind and it just rang really true for me and my kiddos.  So this year we are pressing forward with goals and tools that WTM helped me to form.  I don't think they are at odds with attachment parenting or child centered education.  I am actually pretty proud of all the thought that has gone into exactly what each of the kids will do at which level.  And there is plenty of room for exploring their interest within the classical education structure.... at least here  :)  We might be a quiet minority but we are here!  :)

Tassy mom to DS(13), DD(8), and twin DDs (7)  homeschool.gif

#9 of 14 Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM

I really like the Charlotte Mason method, too. I think we will end up being a mish mash of the two methods. DS2 loves history and being read to so CM and CE feel right. ATM, I am obsessing over what handwriting style to teach. We have been doing D'Nealian, but it seems like a lot of people don't care for it.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#10 of 14 Old 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM

I stop by very erratically.  My kids are older -- a high school sophomore and a 6th grader.**  I'd call our style relaxed classical, but have been through enough online discussion to realize that not everyone means what I mean when I write that.

**Honestly, that's why I don't stop by here so much anymore -- it seems like when I check in, most of the conversations are about the younger elementary ages and I have little to add to the discussion.  

#11 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 AM

We do, but I don't hardly visit here either.  We did have a Classical thread last year but I think most people post over on the WTM boards, much more in depth hs discussion there.  This is our 3rd year here, officially I'm declaring it 1st, my son is on the cut-off and I'd rather give him space, reading is hard for him although he is doing great in Math.

Anyway, we just started this week;

Our line-up-

Reading- I See Sam Readers- Advanced Readers 1

Writing- Writing with Ease 1 

Spelling - All About Spelling 1

Grammar- First Language Lessons

Math- Right Start C

History- Story of the World 1

Science- Core Knowledge- Based on Baltimore and Colorado plans(free online)

Literature- Core Knowledge- various poems, sayings, fairy tales, folk tales, etc

Religion- Faith and Life

Nature Study- Nature Study Handbook from the 20s(iirc from google books)

Art and Music Appreciation- Study 4 artists and 4 composers for the year-

Music- Making Music Praying Twice- Fingerplays, traditional songs, chants, latin prayers etc

Lit- Also reading through various chapter books from different lists, currently on The Borrowers

Ds works on typing as well using a free online program, he has the home row down pretty good and is working on the rest.  I hope for him to be proficient by the end of the year.  

I think that is it.  We just started back this week we did do summer school though, and just finished our 3 wk break.  We love hs'ing, it is such fun!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#12 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 02:18 PM

I have not started HS yet (ds is only 2) but am really excited about the idea of it and especially the classical method. How much do you guys find you spend on HS supplies? Sometimes it seems like it must be pretty expensive, with the resources, books, etc, not to mention (sometimes optional) teaching aids like maps, games or art supplies, plus any 'field trips' you decide to do- someone told me they do a field trip once a week, but I imagine this is not the norm. 

#13 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 AM

You can spend as much or as little as you want on hs'ing.  There are free resources for just about everything, especially for the younger grades.  It is rather or not they will work for you though and your kid.  We do co-op once a week and often that is a field trip- although not all big ones.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#14 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 12:33 AM

We are classical/CM hs'ers too, though this year I am using Oak Meadow for most of my L/A, history and science. I needed to change things up a bit, so ds#1 and ds#2 will be going through the 4th grade curriculum together (I'm splitting the difference - they are 5th and 3rd). But, it's still pretty CM in that it uses living books at times (and allows for us to use living books to cover ideas in history and science), plus I'm bringing WTM writing into the curriculum. (And we are keeping Latin, FLL 4, AAS, Harmony Art Mom's Fine Art curriculum, and our math.) We are starting week 7 tomorrow, but it'll be our first with OM. I'm excited, though the boys don't quite know it yet (and I don't plan on announcing it anyway!). Oh, and for ds#3, I'm using SL PreK 4/5 ... he's a K by age, but is still more a PreKer in terms of attention. So, a book-rich K year is what he needs, with a little AAR, ETC, and math thrown in for good measure. 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page