I'm in tears - DD1 still not grasping numbers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your child might be visual and not audial so repeating sound might not do much to her.

I have a visual child, I am visual myself and I remember by associating things with pictures.

When I was teaching her numbers from early on this is pretty much in the nutshel the process how I can recall how I did it:

1. I would touch objects in the pictures in children books and count. as I was touching.. one.. two.. three .. four.. five.. six.. and with each numver I

would touch a ladybug or what not.. untill I counted all of them... It is easier if you have objects of the same kind...

with time a child associated the process of cunting with objects as countig does not exist in vacum, counting always represent something..

2. I had a book that would beautifully move a child through pages and on each page she would have to find all objects of the same kind

up to number shown.. page one.. one cow.. page two two chickens,... page three three horses.. page four .. four bread loaves.. etc..

3. We would count steps as we would go up and down the steps every day.. one two three.. first I would do it and then when she was

old enough she would do it.

4. At some point I also bought a book for kids.. counting to ten ladybugs.. etc..

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Little-Ladybugs-Melanie-Gerth/dp/1581170912 

there are lots of books like that one that have a beautifl rhyming like "ten little ladybugs were sitting on the wine.. then came a birdy and there were nine.."

of course nobody eats anyody and stuff, I would not stand a book like that.. at the end all ladybugs are back home beacause they never are itten in the first place..

so there is ten again...

Those books very nicely reinforce the concept of association number with object and what it reall;y means. nubers are abstract and it is difficult to grasp

if not associated properly..

If a child gets it up to ten then all other numbers is just a breeze but to really make it sink in is tricky in the first place.

My sister had a problem with my niece remembering number 12, just plain blank on it. She was so upset over this and yealled at her sometimes.. now she is second grader

with flying colors and great at math. Just that my sister was not knowing how to teach her the numbers and only thought of memorizing sounds.. this is really short

success as all math is easier if a child is presented concept in visual way wherever possible. Otherwise kids do fail sooner or later... as they just try to memorize

to the point of exhostions the concepts. I was thought like that, my husband was thought to understand and expalind.. so now I rethought myself the whole concept

of math and see what difference makes for me the whole deal.

Lastly, get some counters, I got some super cheap mini erasers at oriental trading page, I could not afford counters at hte time and htey were not anywhere near

as exciting.. so I got with erasers, we got set that had bees, ladybugs, butterflies and something elese.. and I would use it all the time..

It is so much fun to do that.. my kiddo woud count bees, ladybugs, compare which group was bigger at first without knowing how many more.. as this is tough too

and now she can use it for how many more things.. and for estimates and things like that.

You really have to make the counting work first and then once she will really understand what it is it will be easier for her to relate numbers that they go just

like alphabet and havet to go one after another and then you can practice which letter is before.. let's say C and which is after.. and then do the same

on numbers,.. first small ones t hen bigger ones.

here is link to counters

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?Ntt=mini+errasers&requestURI=searchMain&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0

we got this set that is super mini size of a penny each one so it is perfect, and it does not smell or anything and it is big enough to do basic math

http://www.orientaltrading.com/mini-insect-erasers-a2-9_659-12-1.fltr?Ntt=mini+errasers 

I love them.my Lo loves them.

Best of luck and don't give up. It just take time and repetition. Yet don't make it a task, make it fun, ask her all the time to count something with you and

do it with her as you go at first.. "oh let's count all the bottles in this box.. and touch each one as you count!" "oh look, you have so many dolls, let's count

them together. Oh now let's see how many books we have on this shelf..

life is a math... we are surrounded by it and it can be easy if it is real thing, if it is shown to a child that we count things all the time then it is so easy to t hem.

Hugs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

forgot to add.. once a child knows sounds of number and what it means the way it is written is secondary and super easy...
"and this is how we write number 1.. and... etc..

User Tag List