anyone use an electronic portfolio? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-31-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

one of my friends is a public school teacher, and she mentioned in the upper grades, they are starting to use electronic portfolios.  I looked into them, and they seem like a great idea  - I can upload schoolwork and projects, keep video of the kids reading aloud or doing science experiments, etc.  I was wondering if anyone uses one, and if so, what hosting site do you use?  Just looking for a reliable one, that is preferably free, or at least not too pricey.  Or, if anyone has made their own, how did you format it?  i am very limited in my computer literacy :), so simple is best here!

happy coffee-addict ballerina wife to my DH:, SAHM to my awesome ds#1blahblah.gif5/05), dddust.gif(7/07), and ds#2babyboy.gif(1/11)

#2 of 2 Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

We've used Blogger for this purpose for the past year and will be using a WordPress installation on our umbrella school's server this coming year. We also used a Moodle software system for a while (it sucked! no embedded files, everything as attachments, no threaded sequential comments) and for a couple of years we also used a custom-built system for reporting that morphed into something very similar to WordPress (though glitchier from the parental perspective). 

Blogging software is perfect for portfolios, IMO. You set up post categories or tags that are subject-oriented. You set the blog to private, with you and your child as authors and your homeschooling supervisor as the only reader/commenter. You can easily upload videos to YouTube and set them to hidden, then embed them in the blog. My kids' learning blogs are full of photos, page-scans, mp3 recordings and videos. You can post weekly or monthly, or by the term, or do one post per term per subject, or just post whenever something noteworthy has occured. Whatever works well for you and your supervisor. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page