withdrawing from public K in Texas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
#1 of 4 Old 09-01-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
joeysmom1729's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Humble, TX
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need home help!  I knew I would eventually homeschool, but my hubby wanted to give public school a try.  Anyway, after yesterday he just didn't want to go back, so I called him out sick today and sent in the letter that THSC recommended certified mail with return receipt which they should get tomorrow.  But, should I call him out on the absence line again tomorrow or email his teacher?  I just want to do the right thing and not make any enemies.  Thanks!!



joeysmom1729 is offline  
#2 of 4 Old 09-02-2011, 08:50 AM
SweetSilver's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Westfarthing
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Anyone from Texas to help out here?


I would email his teacher and tell her what is up, that you are now planning to homeschool and are working to get that arranged.  I'm not sure how things are handled in Texas, but you should be able to be above board on your intentions without much hassle.  Most importantly, you don't want any truancy hassles while he is still officially enrolled.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
SweetSilver is online now  
#3 of 4 Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 PM
425lisamarie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the rain
Posts: 5,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure there is some similarity state to state though i'm not sure exactly for TExas. I am in WA state, and while you are registered in school you do have to be aware of truancy.  I hand delivered a letter stating we will homeschool to the principal then i went to the district office and filed the intent.  If you can get it done asap it will just be easier. 

425lisamarie is offline  
#4 of 4 Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 PM
TwinMom's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: hiding in the bathroom
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There's no need for a letter. Just go into the front office and fill out the same form anyone would use for transferring to a different school. You are not required to provide anything other than your signature with the statement that you are withdrawing your child from _____ school to provide education at home. They are not allowed to ask you anything about curriculum, plans, etc.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

TwinMom is offline  

Quick Reply
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off