Newly hs-ing 9-yo DS with AD/HD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-03-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Haven't been on MDC in a long while but it never fails to provide tons of support and great advice!

Briefly, we had ds tested and subsequently diagnosed with AD/HD this summer (a surprise to no one). Although long interested in hs-ing, I was pretty worn out from his high-needs baby- and childhood and was just as happy when school seemed to work for him. As he gets older though he has having more trouble with all the stuff AD/HD brings with it -- needing to move and fidget, speaking out inappropriately, having trouble with negotiating the transition from recess to class, being disruptive and silly. I was more concerned about what all he's missed due to his inattention and distractability. I also wondered how much the school environment was stressing him out. He is a very social and extroverted kid, and I've been surprised to see how well he's been enjoying staying close to home for the last week.

I decided to start with K12 for a number of reasons -- a big one is that it's important to me that he learn how to complete a task in a timely manner. The subject matter is not all that important, so teaching all that stuff everyone forgets that you're supposed to learn in school doesn't really bother me. Also, through my reading I'm thinking I'm somewhere on the AD/HD spectrum myself so it is a challenge for both of us to stay "on task."

It's going pretty well so far but I would love to hear any advice from those of you with experience teaching children with AD/HD (or exhibit those mannerisms, at any rate). Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to homeschooling!  My 6 yo DS has ADHD, and we homeschool, too.  I think it is a great fit for us, and we have a pretty relaxed outlook on things.  I'm glad to hear that K12 is working for you guys.  I think I would have a hard time using that with my DS--I would be spending too much of my goodwill getting him to do work that I likely wouldn't find necessary.  But, that is just us!  Keep in mind that so much of homeschooling is finding your own path, so if K12's structure is too rigid once the honeymoon period wears off, don't worry--just look for a different option.  I'm totally not predicting that you'll have problems--I was just speaking from what I would expect from our family with it.  :)

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page