Question about teaching black history - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-09-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am just curious as to know if any homeschooling parents, especially those who are not African American, teach Black history to their children? Anytime of year or specifically during Black History month and what have you used?

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 09-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know how old your kids are - mine are 7 1/2 and 5.  At this point, I do not separate out "black history," because I do not feel they are ready to know about race relations and that history of our country.  They still view all people as "people." And I do not want them to see anyone as separate.  Last year, we did celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. on that day by reading some books - but, again, it was in the context of "he was a great man, and helped people in our country."  Not in the context of race.  

That being said, I think celebrating African American culture and history is PROFOUNDLY important.  but not when they are so young. I want them to have a good foundation of knowing and loving many people before learning that there are issues......

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#3 of 4 Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Same for us.  We honor MLK Jr's birthday.  And Gandhi's birthday.  And we talk about Jesus at Christmas time.  We try to teach about peacemakers and human rights, and we tread lightly on the subject of human injustice (my girls are young) with the intention of visiting that subject in depth when they are older.  But we don't segregate our subject matter according to race (pardon the word choice).  We already discuss American history as a continuum from the earliest settlements of human kind on this continent.

So, we try to be inclusive as best we can.  I won't opinionate on the need (or lack of need) for a Black History Month in schools, but while we homeschool we can do our best to make sure that "Black History" is simply "History" and it is every month, every year.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 4 Old 09-10-2011, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have delved deeper in depth then I intended with my then 8 year old.  For MLK day, we read some books on MLK and he started asking questions about what the Civil Rights Movement was.  So we read some children's books on the Civil Rights Movement.  When we were studying Ancient Civilizations, he had learned about slavery.  He was profoundly upset by the whole concept of slavery and he has struggled to reconcile the idea that slavery ever existed in the US.  He was upset to realize in another time some of his friends and relatives might have been slaves.  It still exists, but I haven't talked to him about that yet.

At the time I was listening to "The Help" on CD in the car and he started asking questions about what our family was doing in the sixties (were we the help or employers).  Which gave me a chance to talk about how my parents were involved in the Civil Rights Movement and the anti war movement.  I used it as an opportunity about how we can try to change the world for the better even in small ways by voting, signing petitions, volunteering.

Recently we started to cover Native American history. My son is enjoying it, but he is starting to realize the impact of white colonization has had on his father's family (DH is Native American).  He has been asking a ton of questions about why his dad's family lives on a reservation

and why we don't live there.  Why the tribe no longer occupies traditional lands

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page