Is there an Autumn Preschool Homeschool thread around for this year? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 09-11-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)

I enjoyed reading along last year, but now that we are "officially" starting homeschool preschool with dd (4.5) I would really love to chat with others :)

We are using the wee folk art seasonal plans as a jumping off point since they really had a great combination of being seasonal, literature based, and including great ideas for crafts and cooking activities.  I am excited and so is dd to add a little bit (not too much!) structure to our week. 

Anyway, if there is already a thread started, please direct me there-otherwise, hope to talk to some people at the same point in their journey :)

We are starting next week to match up with the week of the Autumn Equinox, so I know we may be a bit later than others. 

Single mama to dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and adding one more to the crew November 2016!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 09-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I havent seen a preschool thread in a while..

We haven't been doing much. Im still trying to find my groove with DH being away. Im lucky to keep the house clean and kids fed right now. Friday is a "not back to school" day for a local homeschool group that Im taking the girls to. Maybe we will met a few friends and get out more. Luckily I still have a year before I technically have to start reporting to the state so I can be relaxed about things.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 PM

So happy to find this thread.  My daughter is almost five and while I am not stressing about academics I wanted to test the homeschool waters mostly to to make the time with spend together more enriching..... I opted to use the Oak Meadow Kindergarten as the foundation this year and while my daughter is naturally already ahead of their program academically I love that is only take about 45-60 minutes a day and presents things in a deeper manner than my dd simple knowing the A is a letter and what it's sounds is.  So I am excited to just coast this year enjoying her, doing lots of reading, art and nature explorations (which is all I feel OM K is).  

What are the rest of you ladies doing with your preschool age children?

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.

#4 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hurray! I dont know if we qualify as  DD is only 3.25 years old.  We bought the Oak Meadow preschool books and are trying to generally follow the flow of the day.  I would love to hear about some other ideas and especially seasonally based crafts and activities.

Thanks!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#5 of 15 Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 AM

LoveOhm- I'm also not worried about academics, I'm using this year to make sure that home school is something we can do. My daughter is a little head strong (no idea where she gets that from innocent.gif) so I want to make sure shes going to be good with this before next year (when she is officially of an age where I need to file all the paperwork for her)..

Right now we are:

working on learning to read (her request)

doing some kumon workbooks (her request)

lots of art projects

A bunch of field trips, coming up we have: A trip to a fire station, a pumpkin patch, the wonder museum, the children's museum, the Armed Forces museum, a home school group event at a mini golf place (40 kids.. that place might never recover), a Christmas tree farm (in December of course). I'm sure there will be more coming up. We try to get out at least 3 days a week.

We do library story time on Wednesday. Its a little young for my oldest but she still loves listening to the librarian read the books.

I try to do some kind of theme to the week. This week we are learning about ocean animals. On Friday we are going to spend the day at Sea World. Next week we might do zoo animals and take a trip to the zoo (we have annual passes to a bunch of the local attractions). After that was when I really "planned" on starting school so I have all the lesson plans already made and in a binder waiting for me. I need to finish them up this week.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#6 of 15 Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Hey. We're in. I have a 4.5 year old (plus a sibling). We have a homeschool preschool co-op that we do twice a week. Other than that, we haven't been doing any formal work. I think a full life that includes children in the practical work and spiritual life of the family, plenty of quality children's literature, and ample time outside provides a rich enough educational environment without formal academics at this age.  We are in the midst of trying to decide whether to homeschool for kindy (since we live in the city, it's a decision that would be best to be made before the end of December for optimal school choice). My kid oscillates between really wanting to go and not. I wouldn't insist upon homeschooling a child who rather attend school, but I also suspect that a lot of the interest in school stems from my relatives meddling. Anyway, hi!

Mama to T
(2007), A
('10), E
, and someone new
coming late this summer
#7 of 15 Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)

LoveOhm and Chloe'sMama, how are you liking Oak Meadow?  I am considering it for next year, but I worry that it is a little bit too slow-moving for dd, or maybe that it just doesn't feel "natural" enough?  I don't know exactly!  This is how I feel about most of the curriculum's I have looked at, but I also worry that I will need a little bit more structure to keep us moving along. 

This is our first week and it is going well :) Honestly, we are doing pretty much exactly what we did before, now we just have a name for it and are slightly better organized, lol!  Today we worked on an ongoing craft project and made homemade applesauce together.  We have some books about autumn we have been reading and practiced a couple of autumn words in Spanish during bedtime stories.  I am feeling good about this being a nice, relaxed intro to what homeschooling is, especially since she talks a lot about wanting to go to "real" school (her big sister, my step-daughter, goes to public school) and I'm happy to see her excited about our homeschool activities :)

I go back and forth about feeling that this kind of slow, unpressured pace is exactly what we should be doing and then feeling guilty that we are not gung ho about practicing letters/numbers every day in any structured way.  Can learning really be so simple as reading stories, baking, and playing card games?! lol! 

Glad to see others at this same stage, can't wait to hear more about what everyone is up to!

Single mama to dd
and ds
and adding one more to the crew November 2016!
#8 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 03:54 AM

Spent yesterday at Seaworld looking at all the animals.. The girls had a ball, Im totally exhausted still. We made a notebook with all the different animals and information sheets on each one so we could read about what we were seeing. The kids loved having the extra information. Now they want me to make something similar for the zoo.

#9 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 09:20 AM

HI!

My kiddos are my 5.5 DS and 2.5 DD, so we've started Kindy with the elder. Over the summer we got him both preschool HOP and the MathUSee primer. But it quickly became clear that he already knew the material. For a while I insisted he finish the material before we got the next levels. Then I realized I was being an idiot. eyesroll.gif So we got the next levels for him and clean preschool workbooks for DD.

We do school every time they ask -- about twice a weekish. If it's been a week before they ask I start "strewing". wink1.gif Mostly we read books, play, dress up, build, create, destroy, collect rocks and bugs, watch the HOP DVDs, etc. We also started a water kefir project that I'm pretty excited about. And it's almost cool enough down here to put in the winter container garden. We're thinking about planting strawberries this year along with our regular cooking herbs. 

Thanks for starting this thread! Love reading what everyone is up to. You all have such great ideas!!! joy.gif

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#10 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Let me know how your water kefir goes. We love milk kefir, so when I had an opportunity to get some free water kefir grains, I jumped at the chance. I heard it's sort of supposed to be like healthy soda. Anyway, we tried it, but no one liked it. There are about fifty million recipes, though, so if you stumble on something good, let us know.

Mama to T
(2007), A
('10), E
, and someone new
coming late this summer
#11 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 04:21 AM

Hey, what is everyone up to? Looking for some good ideas since my brain has short circuited :)

#12 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 AM

#13 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 AM

There is no fall here :( I live in Florida so it just kind of gets colder but no real visual season change. I miss fall. The last two weeks we have been talking about police officers (we live down the street from a police station and a fire station) now I'm debating taking about fire fighters. We are going to a pumpkin patch at the end of the week as long as the van decides to cooperate.

I might try the 100 grid.. My oldest has already shown a love for numbers (I adore math.. I adore English as well but math appeals to the logic side of my brain) so she might like having a numbers toy to play with. I'm not to worried about the academic part of learning right now. I'm trying to instill a love for learning so they want to learn later.

I'm really lacking patience right now. My husband has been gone since May and I'm starting to feel really burned out. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to give me a break either so its me and the kids 24/7. I adore my children, don't get me wrong, but I'm so tired right now. I honestly feel like putting on a movie and locking them out of my room for an hour but I won't. Instead I'm going to go do worksheets with my oldest (she adores workbooks, she is way to much like her mom) and talk monkeys with my middle.. and try to keep the baby out of the power sockets. The baby has already figured out how to take off the outlet covers.

#14 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 AM

Since I'm not horribly interested in academics at this age (not opposed, just not int, I'm never sure what to say. After breakfast, we failed at making leaf lanterns. (The leaves wouldn't stick.) We do have a formal, bare bones circle consisting of singing a simple hymn, a simple prayer, a story (this month: The Little Hobgoblin, a traditional Waldorf story), and a poem (We're doing October's Party) that I encourage her to memorize. Normally, we go on a nature walk, but it's cold, rainy, and windy. I might brave it, but I still haven't gotten my eldest a winter coat and the baby grew out of his rain boots. So instead, we read The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin (great fall story) and then my daughter wanted to act it out, which was really cute, particularly since the baby "helped" by being the wind in her sail when she was on the "boat" (aka pusher wagon). Now, they are snacking. I'm waiting around for an appointment. Afterwards, we'll head out to rent the first Harry Potter movie to watch after naps. I also promised to make pumpkin pancakes with my oldest, too, so that's on the afternoon agenda. So, yeah, that's kind of a normal rainy "preschool" day in this house.

Mama to T
(2007), A
('10), E
, and someone new
coming late this summer
#15 of 15 Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 PM

I'm not homeschooling, as my kids go to Public school once they are of age. I love preschool years though! I just like doing fun things with them and watching all they learn! I do not do workbooks or any type of formal curriculum . I do teach certain concepts, but it is very child led and directed. If they aren't interested generally they aren't ready. IME We do seasonal things, sensory activities, play outside,  explore, some Montessori inspired things..... We sing songs, read, go places....... I blog usually at least once a week if anyone wants the link just PM me. Oh my preschooler is 2yrs 10 mths. :) 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page