Alternatives to scouting - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)

Has anyone started their own scouting co-op?  With boys *and* girls learning camping and outdoors skills?

We are starting to imagine something like this, not just with homeschooling friends but with friends whose children attend school.  I wondered if anyone else has tried this.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maybe you could start your own group on meetup.com or something. Sounds like a fun idea to me; I would be totally into something like that for my LO. I see you are in Olympia- we live in Tacoma. Maybe we could work together on it?

#3 of 12 Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

My husband and I created a scout program with a yoga theme.  We're still unsure on the name but are looking to start it by the end of the month.  We've discussed it with other parents and have "trialed" it with some kids and their parents while we were living there.  We want to create either an online or zine format to allow the kids to see what other "yogi scouts" are doing in different areas. 

We were planning on having meeting for homeschoolers as well as going to the local schools and either doing an in-school or afterschool version.  We have also set up levels that go all the way up to adulthood.  I'd love to have some "branch leaders" in different parts of the country, as I've been getting in contact with like-minded friends of mine all over the country.

If you're interested in possibly coordinating or seeing my plan for it let me know.

#4 of 12 Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You might want to check into Earth Scouts, Spiral Scouts, Camp Fire (both boys and girls), Navigators, etc.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#5 of 12 Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 PM

I have considered 4-H. It doesn't teach camp-like skills but I think it is much better than traditional scouts. Spiral scouts is very interesting. I know a family that does that in another state.

#6 of 12 Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've been talking about this over in the unschoolers area for a couple weeks now. My dd was so disappointed by the various scouting programs available to her that she designed her own. The first rank handbook came out this month. I think she drew most of her inspiration from Cub Scouts and 4-H. You're welcome to take a look at it for ideas. It's a free download.

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/faery-scouts-rainbow-rank/16965894

Wife to 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Beast 
Mama to 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Crash (18), 
Spritely (16), and
A-Babe (2)
#7 of 12 Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

incorrigible, I've been reading about your dd's scouting book, and I will take a look at it when I have more than a minute.

mommy212, we are a ways outside of Olympia, in the opposite direction from you.  Oly is our hub of out-and -about activity, but still it's quite a commitment to get even that far.  I'm not dismissing your offer, I just need to start up something really locally so we don't have to drive so far for yet one more thing.  Eventually, though, I would be open to doing activities somewhere between Oly and Tacoma.  Keep in touch!  I've been a regular on the HS and US forums.  

We will be starting 4-H this year.  For this, I'm visualizing something like a homeschooling co-op, but based around outdoor skills and welcoming both our homeschooling and schooling friends (and their friends).  We'll see.   I want something that doesn't have badges or achievements (beyond the skill itself), just fun activities.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#8 of 12 Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I've downloaded you daughter's scouting book.  What an effort!  I've enjoyed reading your posts about it.  My oldest is 6.5 and it was truly inspiring--I hope something just as creative is in her future.

mommy 312, the Nisqually Watershed Festival is this weekend (9/24) and I think we will go.  Meet us there!

Still doing research on some of the other suggestions.  Thanks!

#9 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

cool. Well, let me know what you think. She'd love to get feedback from someone other than family. ;)

Wife to 
 Beast 
Mama to 
 Crash (18), 
Spritely (16), and
A-Babe (2)
#10 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I did some online research about some of the groups suggested, and Earth Scouts looked like it might be something to explore some more, though their website wasn't complete yet regarding Earth Scouts section of their organization.  Also, a bit more involved than I am currently thinking about.  We are starting 4-H this weekend and I found a local survival skills group called "Wolf College" that offers one class at a time (better for a busy young family).  Next month's class is about bears and cougars and wolves, and part of the class is learning to move and step like them.  That's right up my 6.5yo's alley, she who can trot and canter like a horse, stretch out and run like a cheetah among other animals.  She spent our time watching the horse events at the fair memorizing the different gaits.  Anyway, this is all a start.  I'm hoping to present my ideas to my friends and their friends and see what they think.

Thanks again for the suggestions and I will get back to incorrigible with a review!

#11 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 10:55 PM

The best I've found are earth scouts, spiral scouts 4 H and roots and shoots.
I started a spiral scout hearth (so it's only our family) I love them and would like to see more families involved I just don't want to be the one in charge kwim?

I like the idea of getting patches though smile.gif that's a big motivated for me and my kids.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#12 of 12 Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Isn't Roots & Shoots part of the Earth Scouts organization?  Earth Scouts may not have their site area up, but they're not new.  You might want to google "Earth Scouts" and then your location to see if the local group comes up.  Wish they were close enough to me to do it (and I am so NOT up for "starting" anything)

Heather - Wife 
, Mommy 
 &

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page